General Sylvia's upkeep

Currently reading:
General Sylvia's upkeep

Although I'm still deciding about posting on FF anymore as I am still agrieved at my recent treatment, I will for the meantime post updates about Sylvia.

Jim had said to me that he thought there was rust coming through her floor. At first I thought it wasn't to bad and as you can see from the pics the holes were fixed easily enough.

Hole on the passenger side floor.
sylpasshole1.jpg

Hole at the seat belt mount on Passengers side.
sylhole2.jpg

Passenger side hole welded up.
sylpassholewelded.jpg

Passenger side seam sealed.
sylpassfixed.jpg

Drivers side hole.
syldriverssidehole.jpg

Drivers side welded.
syldrivsideholewelded.jpg

Drivers side seam sealed.
syldrivfixed.jpg

Outer drivers side hole.
syloutdrivhole.jpg

Fixed and sealed. Not the tidiest but it would have ment removing the petrol tank pipe.
syldrivsidefixed.jpg

Unfortunately however just as I was finishing today I found a worrying hole were the passenger side trailing arm attaches to the body. As this is a major structural part I decided to leave it until tomorrow (or when I'm allowed back into the garage) as I'm going to have to tip Sylvia quite far over to see how much is eaten away never mind getting at it to repair it, but feeling it, it's going to take a bit of sorting.

tis always heartening to see you at work Stuart... if only we all had such skillful and generous mates.

It's not been tidied up as I want to leave it so the Mot can see the weld. So once Sylvias through the mot i will be giving her a full coat of underseal/stonechip, as the stuff on her is looking a bit tired now, and I want to flatten back the welds inside so I can paint the inside.

I seem to remember Top Gear doing a feature on a garage that repaired accident damaged cars by welding 2 cars together. All above board, legal and pukka.

It was quite interesting and the presenter certainly seemed happy with the quality of the work.

Would you buy one though ??

Back