General Sylvia's carb issues

Currently reading:
General Sylvia's carb issues

Re: Wanted, New carb for Sylvia

Buy an overhaul kit Jim. The Weber 32 TLF is really simple and easy to work on. Take it apart and give it a damn good clean, then as long as the butterfly spindle bushes aren't worn just replacing the gaskets, diaphragms, needle valve and setting the float height will have it running as good as new again.

However, as you have a habit of straying into the outer reaches of the unknown I'd carry a spare working carb with you at all times for peace of mind ;)

I just stole the one of Juppy....:eek:

I've had the carb overhauled a few times (twice here and once in africa) and its still drinking fuel and running poorly. Thought if I go for a new (er) one that it would solve the trick.

I've just got some cleaner on it now and am fitting it in a min. Will keep you posted...

Jim

Umm, don't you need a carb from an 1100 selecta panda or 1100 uno? That should sort out the rough running, at least it would then have the right jets etc, and a slight tweek down on the fuel regulator might then help with the thirst.

Thanks Alan but again Damon had a good point, we're running an 1100 on a 999 carb.

But the 1100 panda (selecta or not) never came with a carb.... Mmmmm, is that 109cc really going to make that much differnce?

Who's got an uno one that they fancy selling?

Must be a good one or else I'll come back from outer Asia and kill you stone dead, deader than a dead thing in dead land on let dead people in free day

Maybe I should lighten up and stop letting Sylvia get to me...:p

Just I've found that the fittings for the throttle and choke on Juppy's carb are different to Sylvias (1987 vs 1991) and that was quite annoying.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

I have something that meant to be for a selecta...i think

I will get a pic and part number. If it the right one you can have it

Jim if push comes to shove I have a brand new one I was saving for a rainy day.

I think I remember that one. Someone outbid me on Ebay at the last minute... :mad:

Humph! :p

Who's got an uno one that they fancy selling?

Er, no! I have a couple spare but they need rebuilding...

To be honest, running a 999cc carb on an 1108 shouldn't make it less economical, more the opposite. I'd suspect more that the carb is buggered or Sylvia's engine is in need of a tune up.

Jim this is the one I have...
c1.JPG c2.JPG

c3.JPG c4.JPG

c5.JPG c6.JPG

I can't see there being very much difference in 100cc plus you can change the mix slightly to suit.

To be honest, running a 999cc carb on an 1108 shouldn't make it less economical, more the opposite.

True, but what I think has happened is that to get it to run better someone may have upped the fuel pressure on the regulator (it used to suffer from under-fueling if you check the old posts before USA). This will help it run but now means its likely to be over-fueled for other parts of the rev/load range.

Many thanks for the offers for the Uno bit but Sylvia is running fantastic on the 87 4x4 carb.

Graham will know what I mean cause he's driven Sylvia and was supprised with how poor the 1108 performance was. It was like that form the day and hour we fitted the engine and to be honest theres always been a problem with the day to day drive abilty of the car. It wasn't always there but you could sense it and it was worrying me about taking another long run to germany in it later this month with that niggling doubt about it.

But after hours of fiddling with trottle and choke linkages (there different on 87 and 91 cars) I'm finally happy with the result!:slayer:

The down side is the my 4x4 is getting more and more like it's beyond fixing..

Jim

Just out of interest what problems are you having with yours? I've had much fun with carbs on these. I have fitted a 750cc panda carb I bought from ebay germany to my 4x4 and it did work satisfactorily... I doubt running a 1.1 carb on a 1.0 will be any problem at all.

I may be a bit misinformed but I thought all the 1.1 pandas were fuel injection? You could do worse than convert yours to fuel injection. I will be converting mine once i have all the bits.
When I rebuilding carbs all the bits that i'm reusing go in the dishwasher :D

Back