General Stop start punto evo

Currently reading:
General Stop start punto evo

Andy how much did it cost you to change you battery. Did you still have warranty?

Apparently the battery isn't under the 3rd year dealer warrenty but they could supply one for £220 :ROFLMAO:

so i went hunting i have the 1.4 8v and dropped one of these in uprated slightly by about 10Ah over standard......

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/i...o-hybrid-ecm/exide-el700-110-ecm-battery.html

But before fitting you must ensure its fully charged IT MUST BE A ECM battery due to the charge characteristics of the system...

Left the car on Friday night for the best part of 2.5 hours with side lights hazzards and a bank of strobe lights turned on (dont ask) and the start stop still works fine...

Last edited:
Apparently the battery isn't under the 3rd year dealer warrenty but they could supply one for £220 :ROFLMAO:

so i went hunting i have the 1.4 8v and dropped one of these in uprated slightly by about 10Ah over standard......

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/i...o-hybrid-ecm/exide-el700-110-ecm-battery.html

But before fitting you must ensure its fully charged IT MUST BE A ECM battery due to the charge characteristics of the system...

Left the car on Friday night for the best part of 2.5 hours with side lights hazzards and a bank of strobe lights turned on (dont ask) and the start stop still works fine...

Wow thats alot needs this already for my car. :( y do i feel as if ive made a mistake.

Wish i had more old car still :(

Had the car a month. Didnt buy from fiat got it from local deal. Are these batteries easy to fit?

Had the car a month. Didnt buy from fiat got it from local deal. Are these batteries easy to fit?

Yes all you need is a 13mm spanner and a 10mm spanner......

take your new battery and charge it fully using a car battery charger (ideally a smart one)

leave it to stand for one hour (this allows surface charge to dissipate)

next disconnect the battery negative cable (the red press tap and pull up the black plug)

then remove the negative terminal sensor using a 10mm spanner

then remove the live.....

unbolt battery retainer clamp at bottom of battery tray using 13 mm spanner

Carefully lift out battery

Clean battery clamps with wire wool

clean new battery terminals

if putting larger battery in remove the plastic wedge from the battery tray

place new battery in tray the correct way round as per the old battery

Refit Live terminal.... tap down before tightening

Refit negative battery sensor again tap down (if you look the battery posts are tapered)

Press on black plug till it clicks

apply vasaline (petrolium jelly) or battery terminal grease to the posts thoroughly

and jobs a good one...

You will need to reset the clock the CD player should be fine providing its an original unit (its coded to the body computer so the car see's it as its own)

then drive as normal

It will learn its parameters over a few journeys then settle down....

this is for the last GP but gives you an idea obviously there was no battery sensor and like

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/257103-grande-punto-battery-replacement.html

Yes all you need is a 13mm spanner and a 10mm spanner......

take your new battery and charge it fully using a car battery charger (ideally a smart one)

leave it to stand for one hour (this allows surface charge to dissipate)

next disconnect the battery negative cable (the red press tap and pull up the black plug)

then remove the negative terminal sensor using a 10mm spanner

then remove the live.....

unbolt battery retainer clamp at bottom of battery tray using 13 mm spanner

Carefully lift out battery

Clean battery clamps with wire wool

clean new battery terminals

if putting larger battery in remove the plastic wedge from the battery tray

place new battery in tray the correct way round as per the old battery

Refit Live terminal.... tap down before tightening

Refit negative battery sensor again tap down (if you look the battery posts are tapered)

Press on black plug till it clicks

apply vasaline (petrolium jelly) or battery terminal grease to the posts thoroughly

and jobs a good one...

You will need to reset the clock the CD player should be fine providing its an original unit (its coded to the body computer so the car see's it as its own)

then drive as normal

It will learn its parameters over a few journeys then settle down....

this is for the last GP but gives you an idea obviously there was no battery sensor and like

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/257103-grande-punto-battery-replacement.html

Thanks for your help seems like you no your :).

Cd will defo be ok when take battery out.

NB i would still be tempted to give it a proper charge off the car before spending the money (y)

Would fiat do that? Could it not loose charge again though? As said before dont use car alot in the week.

Would fiat do that? Could it not loose charge again though? As said before dont use car alot in the week.

Yes but will probably charge you for the privilege (no pun intended) ;) for under an hours labour rate you could get your own decent charger ;)

An alternator due to its nature can't restore charge to a deeply discharged battery.... Its rather techical but the battery has 2 types of charge Surface and deep charge the alternator only charges the surface (which is what is used when cranking)

err go get a cuppa and your reading glasses........ :cool: :p and look at this link

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/surf_chg.html

So a prelonged charge at the correct rate can shove a decent charge back into a battery and up its capacity / deep charge

Ctek CTE-XS3600 Car Battery Charger 4 Stage 3.6Amp 12 Volt (Multi Functional): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

(with that you can connect the fly lead to the battery and keep it topped up whilst its stood without lifting the bonnet) ;)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36020/battery-charger-test

Last edited:
Us there anyway of turning this off all together?

Cant believe it when test drove it was fine. Feel con badly.

Fiat it is monday, bet they spill be aload of old tosh.

Took car out 4 20 min good drive now stop start stop for over a min

Last time StartStop worked was oh, somewhere last September.
Ever since its been too short drives on too cold weather (heater working all the time) for it to get active. Plus not many long stops behind red lights - I believe S&S learns from you driving pattern and if most of your stops are short it won't bother.
When it gets warm again it'll pick up again I'm sure

And when I know I stop for longer than 30 sec I usually turn the engine off via key anyway.

Car been in to fiat today, told me they fully charge battery and done a update. Leave fiat stop start coming on by its self. Am i doing something wrong here?

Also what are people get mpg?

Car been in to fiat today, told me they fully charge battery and done a update. Leave fiat stop start coming on by its self. Am i doing something wrong here?

Is that not what it's supposed to do :confused:

And not being funny, but with doing only 20 miles during the week I wouldn't even bother looking at what MPG your doing.

Back