Technical Steering column shroud

Currently reading:
Technical Steering column shroud

I'm trying to get the plastic steering column shroud off .. undoing the 3 screws at the bottom releases the bottom bit, but the top bit won't come off.. I don't want to remove the steering wheel as it has an airbag .. any suggestions?
thanks very much
John

found it .. 2 screws impossible to get to without removing the steering wheel .. so my question now is, can one remove an air-bag equipped steering wheel without things going horribly wrong?

Last edited:
I am not 100% but I think you need to remove the instrument cluster facia to gain access to a couple of screws.
If there are screws behind the wheel, can you not turn the wheel to gain access?

Read my signature first! (y) it's important.
there are 3 bolts behind wheel and airbag should come out. it's connected to one wire in the middle. today will remove steering wheel, because it's much easy to remove dashboard so i could picture it.

I've done this job, removing the airbag and steering wheel is fine SO LONG AS YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!

Good luck

Hugh

0. disconect battery!
1. three bolts from behind and pull out airbag, flat screwdriver could help
2. disconect airbag and horns and undo big mainstream, it's welded and you will need to use power to undoit, pull steering wheel out shaking it.
3. you will see that white box, 4 small bolts, be carefull not to break or take apart by accident. there are wires wrapped in the circle inside so you can turn steering and still have connection to airbag and horns.
4. you can also pull out whole part with handles if needed, it goes harder than steering wheel.

Back