Technical Steering Rail Leaking

Currently reading:
Technical Steering Rail Leaking

Hi Friends,

I just purchased a 2005 Mk2 Barchetta. It failed the Ontario Safety test because the steering rack was leaking power steering fluid.
According to ePER, the rack is no longer available.
Does anyone know if I can take it apart and replace seals like I would my motorcycle shocks etc? Or is it a replacement part?
If the latter, any ideas how I can purchase and ship a replacement steering rack to Canada?

Advice appreciated as always,
Scott

Hi Friends,

I just purchased a 2005 Mk2 Barchetta. It failed the Ontario Safety test because the steering rack was leaking power steering fluid.
According to ePER, the rack is no longer available.
Does anyone know if I can take it apart and replace seals like I would my motorcycle shocks etc? Or is it a replacement part?
If the latter, any ideas how I can purchase and ship a replacement steering rack to Canada?

Advice appreciated as always,
Scott
In the old days we always used to strip steering racks and boxes to replace worn parts manual and power versions.
If everything is scrupulously clean and great care is taken, I don't see why not. There are uTube videos online, but you would have to decide on their value;). Apart from that there are companies offering to recondition them for you, although as with any of these options you will have to assess their competence!
Where is the oil leak coming from, if a seal on a shaft is the shaft/bearing/bush support worn causing the seal to fail?
Sometimes a tool is needed to undo the inner track rod ends to help in dismantling.
Obviously if a good quality reconditioned part is available that may be best option.

as a side note the Barchetta was built on the same platform as the fiat punto. It is highly likely therefore that they share the same steering rack and it may be easier to find parts for a "punto" steering rack, than it would a Barchetta. but be careful to make sure it is a mark 1 punt from 1993 to 1999 and it is a model with power steering which I presume your car has (or it would not be leaking steering fluid)

as a side note the Barchetta was built on the same platform as the fiat punto. It is highly likely therefore that they share the same steering rack and it may be easier to find parts for a "punto" steering rack, than it would a Barchetta. but be careful to make sure it is a mark 1 punt from 1993 to 1999 and it is a model with power steering which I presume your car has (or it would not be leaking steering fluid)
Yes, Power Steering.
Strangely, I haven't lost any power steering fluid since I bought the car. There was a leak, and the previous owner used Lucas Stop-Leak in it. It may not be leaking now, but the previous evidence of a leak caused it to fail the Ontario Safety Inspection. I may just get some degreaser and clean up the ends to see if it will pass.
Obviously, the stop-leak is a temporary fix and will need to be corrected, but maybe I can buy myself some time to find a replacement rack if I can show it isn't leaking at this moment.
Appreciate the hint towards Punto! I'll definitely look into that.

Yes, Power Steering.
Strangely, I haven't lost any power steering fluid since I bought the car. There was a leak, and the previous owner used Lucas Stop-Leak in it. It may not be leaking now, but the previous evidence of a leak caused it to fail the Ontario Safety Inspection. I may just get some degreaser and clean up the ends to see if it will pass.
Obviously, the stop-leak is a temporary fix and will need to be corrected, but maybe I can buy myself some time to find a replacement rack if I can show it isn't leaking at this moment.
Fingers crossed a good clean up and no new oil leaking, plus you mentioning you have never needed to top up oil, that and catching the tester on a good day.;)

Yes, Power Steering.
Or with my luck, having bought a 'ghost' car, cleaning the gunk from the rack will start the leak again LOL.
My luck is never on the easy side Hahaha.

Reminds me of my youth taking a motorcycle with suspect front fork seals and giving them a good clean with a rag just before driving in the entrance for the test.;)
I hear ya!
Replacing fork seals on a bike I can handle, I have 2 1984 Honda V30 Magnas in my garage amongst others.

Rebuilding a Barchetta steering rack will be new to me if it comes to that.

But we digress, back to the original topic LOL, lest we annoy the mods.

I hear ya!
Replacing fork seals on a bike I can handle, I have 2 1984 Honda V30 Magnas in my garage amongst others.

Rebuilding a Barchetta steering rack will be new to me if it comes to that.

But we digress, back to the original topic LOL, lest we annoy the mods.
This was over fifty years ago and well within capabilities, just a lack of motivation.;)

Back