Technical clunk/click noise on steering wheel when full locked

Currently reading:
Technical clunk/click noise on steering wheel when full locked

Rafao95

Hey guys!

It's my first time writing here (I've been reading quite a few posts here since I got my B, since 2015), so I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong by posting this thread.

I have a problem with my B that is starting to annoy me:
In 2019 I hit a pothole and my B started making noise in the steering wheel. As soon as I got home, I remember disassembling all the internal parts related to steering (steering wheel, steering adjuster, flex airbag, column, etc.) and I couldn't find anything wrong. I noticed that the rack pinion was a little loose (I could move it a little with my fingers back and forth, but the rack was perfect (no leaks, no noise, perfect). So I started to think that it could be the pinion that was moving the column ( not just turning), and the clunking noises could be from the column. When I hit the pothole, I felt the hit very hard on my arms. Also, if I drove and held the steering wheel hard, the clunking noise was almost non-existent.

So I decided to change the steering rack. I get a refurbished one. The mechanic replaced the steering rack. Unfortunately, the "new" steering rack made a lot of noise every time I shook the steering wheel stationary (when parking, for example). I could feel the pedals shaking (almost all cars do this, but my B never did this). In addition, the steering wheel was very tight. I eased the steering rack nut no more than 1/16 to the left to make the steering wheel more lightly. It was slightly lighter, but still more tight than the original rack. At the same time, other noises appeared. So, I adjusted the nut back.

I ended up buying a used steering rack that looked to be in mint condition. I went to the mechanic again to change the steering rack again. I can say that the steering wheel was moving freely again as before and without any noises while shaking the steering wheel stationary (that's the B I remember). Unfortunately, new noises appeared: every time I braked hard, or moved the wheels to the locked position (left or right), I felt something in the steering wheel and heard a "clicking" noise, like something is loose. I checked the pinion and the pinion was extremely loose. This means that I had to adjust the nut on the rack so that the steering rack could be almost tight on the pinion without locking the steering wheel. Every day I decided to turn almost 1/16 to the right to tighten the steering rack so I could test it that day. After 6 days, I reached to the point where the steering wheel starts to lock up. When I brake hard, the clicking sound disappeared. But when I'm parking, when I move the steering wheel fully locked, I still feel the "click" as soon as I release the clutch. I checked the pinion and the pinion is fixed. To try to move it, I have to use a lot of force with my fingers. It's tighter than my original rack, so I'm starting to think this final "click" has nothing to do with my steering rack, I don't know.

The inner and outer tie rods are new. The column is also new too. There is no grease outside the CV joints. Last time I checked, the ball joints were fine. Struts mounts were perfect too. The forearm bushings were starting to ask for new ones. Maybe when changing the steering rack the forearm bushings got damaged for good? Is that "click" noise with all the direction turned that make when the bushes are worn out? I feel like the wheel is kind of loose. Or the pinion from rack went out of place (I think it's impossible, because as I said, every time I checked, the pinion is fixed in place and I have to push hard with my fingers to move it.). Hard to explain...

Any suggection?
Thank you so much!

Hey guys!

It's my first time writing here (I've been reading quite a few posts here since I got my B, since 2015), so I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong by posting this thread.

I have a problem with my B that is starting to annoy me:
In 2019 I hit a pothole and my B started making noise in the steering wheel. As soon as I got home, I remember disassembling all the internal parts related to steering (steering wheel, steering adjuster, flex airbag, column, etc.) and I couldn't find anything wrong. I noticed that the rack pinion was a little loose (I could move it a little with my fingers back and forth, but the rack was perfect (no leaks, no noise, perfect). So I started to think that it could be the pinion that was moving the column ( not just turning), and the clunking noises could be from the column. When I hit the pothole, I felt the hit very hard on my arms. Also, if I drove and held the steering wheel hard, the clunking noise was almost non-existent.

So I decided to change the steering rack. I get a refurbished one. The mechanic replaced the steering rack. Unfortunately, the "new" steering rack made a lot of noise every time I shook the steering wheel stationary (when parking, for example). I could feel the pedals shaking (almost all cars do this, but my B never did this). In addition, the steering wheel was very tight. I eased the steering rack nut no more than 1/16 to the left to make the steering wheel more lightly. It was slightly lighter, but still more tight than the original rack. At the same time, other noises appeared. So, I adjusted the nut back.

I ended up buying a used steering rack that looked to be in mint condition. I went to the mechanic again to change the steering rack again. I can say that the steering wheel was moving freely again as before and without any noises while shaking the steering wheel stationary (that's the B I remember). Unfortunately, new noises appeared: every time I braked hard, or moved the wheels to the locked position (left or right), I felt something in the steering wheel and heard a "clicking" noise, like something is loose. I checked the pinion and the pinion was extremely loose. This means that I had to adjust the nut on the rack so that the steering rack could be almost tight on the pinion without locking the steering wheel. Every day I decided to turn almost 1/16 to the right to tighten the steering rack so I could test it that day. After 6 days, I reached to the point where the steering wheel starts to lock up. When I brake hard, the clicking sound disappeared. But when I'm parking, when I move the steering wheel fully locked, I still feel the "click" as soon as I release the clutch. I checked the pinion and the pinion is fixed. To try to move it, I have to use a lot of force with my fingers. It's tighter than my original rack, so I'm starting to think this final "click" has nothing to do with my steering rack, I don't know.

The inner and outer tie rods are new. The column is also new too. There is no grease outside the CV joints. Last time I checked, the ball joints were fine. Struts mounts were perfect too. The forearm bushings were starting to ask for new ones. Maybe when changing the steering rack the forearm bushings got damaged for good? Is that "click" noise with all the direction turned that make when the bushes are worn out? I feel like the wheel is kind of loose. Or the pinion from rack went out of place (I think it's impossible, because as I said, every time I checked, the pinion is fixed in place and I have to push hard with my fingers to move it.). Hard to explain...

Any suggection?
Thank you so much!
Hi Rafao,
This may not help, but is interesting nonetheless.
I have a 1998 B and spent time last winter improving general aspects. When I took it out of its garage for the first time around May 2023, there was a terrible noise on full right hand steering lock. After a few days I discovered what was causing this.
Under the nearside wheel arch is not only a large plastic dirt shield, but also what I saw as a gap in coverage so that road dirt might still get into the engine compartment. I found a roadside wheelarch shield and shaped this to fit what I saw as the "gap". I fixed this in with screws. What I had not noticed was that the lower edge of my "new" part shield curled towards the road wheel a little. When on full right lock the tyre cought this inserted plastic piece resulting in a loud noise. The solution thus far has been for me to remove the added shield piece. The tyre now on full lock simply clears the older shield cover althoguh quite closely. The noise has gone. So my suggestion for you is - your wheel tyre might be fouling somehow and causing your intermittent noise?
I hope that helps,

My 2003 B also has this, but it only happens when doing full lock

Back