Technical Radiator rail

Currently reading:
Technical Radiator rail

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the radiator rail on my Fiat Barchetta, as it has gone quite rusty (a common problem so I am told).

Has anyone on here ever done this before? It looks like its held with just a few bolts? Is it relatively straight forward?

Cheers,

Sasha

Hi,
I didn't replace mine but I did take it out. It looked very badly rusted but after brushing and painting it was fine to put back in the car so don't give up on yours yet.
I followed the instructions on page 82 and onwards in this PDF:
https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=file&fileid=866
I was changing the whole radiator but it was quite a straightforward job. Just be aware that in the service manual some of the steps are only relevant if you have air-con and that confused me slightly. I'm not sure if you'll be able to do it without removing the radiator and therefore the coolant.

You can see the before and after in the images below.
Good luck

Attachments

• PXL_20210528_183835496(1).jpg
    PXL_20210528_183835496(1).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20210530_084530084.jpg
    PXL_20210530_084530084.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 61
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your really informative reply. I will give your suggestion of refurbishment a go although I have the feeling if I poke to hard in some areas it will just go straight through but we shall see your guide is very useful thank you for sharing and I will keep you posted :)

Cheers,

Sasha

A point one has to appreciate is that all car manufacturers make things (like the radiator support rail) as thing and light as possible. This often means thinner steel, more cut-outs, more surface area, etc ass opposed to a 2mm+ rugged rail.

So get that support rail out of the car. Clean is up etc. and assess from there. You may find (if yours's is beyond repair) that a local fabricator (if not yourself) can knock up a more substantial replacement rail for probably less than and original replacement would cost.

DSM call the part a radiator travers at 73€. Choose the UK flag to change the site to Enhlish. I managed to salvage mine and repainted with Hammerite 7 years ago and still good now.
SteveD

Hi all,

I have attempted today to start the removal of the radiator rail. Despite some difficulties I've got onto step 3 on page 83 however I'm really struggling to get the bolts off, i've left it with penetrating fluid overnight. Perhaps a breaker bar? Also my concern with regards to my car is that by trying to undo the bolt I will snap the rail - see my badly drawn other photo (one could say why does it matter, but I would like to keep in-tact as best as I can) to maybe fabricate.

1642964989919.png

1642965554864.png

Many thanks as always,

Sasha

Once on the website look for ‘tune up Exterieur’ then scroll down the page and pictures until you find ‘kuhlertraverse-gefrast, kunstoffbeschichtest’ I think. There used to be an english version by tapping on the UK flag. However, if you send them a contact their english is good.

try the above link and scroll the page.. good luck

Ersatz fürs Gammelteil:

Kühlertraverse, cnc- gefräst, kunststoffbeschichtet ( B-CAR-CONC-009 / Euro 72.-

Back