Technical Loose steering column adjuster

Currently reading:
Technical Loose steering column adjuster

BensB

Hi all, I’m new to the B, but driving home when collecting mine, I adjusted the steering column to its highest point, (up) and set off. I stopped shortly afterwards, as I found that the adjuster seems not to grip firmly, and some movement was detected, when turning corners, with normal pressure on the steering wheel. This was even though the clamp is completely closed.
Has anyone else found this, and if so, are there recommendations to make the clamp “grip” better when closed?
It’s not undriveable with the steering wheel at its lowest position, just that I’m a big lad and I prefer a little room between my knees and the steering wheel!
Thanks, Ben

I can't recall details but you can adjust the grip on the steering column height clamps.

There is nothing special etc. regarding the clamp. For want of a general crude explanation the "back side" of the clamp couples with the lever/front side of the clamp. These can be adjusted to ensure that an "N" degree lever adjustment will both release and clamp the steering column.

I think you need to get your head under the steering column and observe/analyse the setup.

When directly observed I think you will find all that is required to adjust the coumn clamping and adjustment forces.

Nothing major, there is a nut on the opposite side of the handle. You just tighten it.

Update
Job done - some pointers and method.
Remove 3 screws holding the lower left trim panel below and left of the steering column. This trim panel covers the fuse box. Fiddly to remove, take off the section of door-shut moulding to the left of the panel to expose a flanged part. Also a flange into the steering column area on the right side. Mine was broken on the lower left corner but the piece was there - superglue to the rescue and a washer on reassembly.
Remove the 3 screws holding the lower half of the steering column cover. Another tricky detachment, be careful not to break it. It has to Slide Over the ignition switch (take keys out!) and may be easiest to do with steering wheel at its “lowest” position.
On the left side of the column there is an (18mm?) nut hidden in the wiring. This is the adjustment, but if you tighten too far you will not be able to “lock” the column lever - its a case of tighten, try, loosen, try… I got mine right 3rd go.
That’s it - reassemble in reverse. Be aware that the 2 halves of the column plastic cover are a pain to get aligned, don’t trap the protection material on the left side. Also when you finally get the lower cowling screw in, be aware that the column cowling will need fettling as you will get a grinding noise where it touches the back of the steering wheel! Annoying, but patience and adjustment will win.
Adjustments after starting the engine will determine if any tweaks on the steering column cover is needed.
I needed a soak in the bath after this job as laying over the drivers seat looking up to the column and refitting was not without discomfort. Maybe I’m getting old, but the end result was well worth the back ache. Good luck with it!

Thanks for such a full description - very helpful for others who need to disassemble the steering column trim.

Back