Technical power steering pipes

Currently reading:
Technical power steering pipes

Hi all,

Has anyone on here ever tried to replace power steering lines/pipes on Barchetta? Like the ones shown below:

1644600434017.png

I've just order a replacement line (as mine are quite badly corroded, see attached photo of replacement lines on engine).

I've managed to undo the bolt that attached the line to the power steering rack (see yellow highlight on e-PER diagram above) there is another line that comes out the reservoir and goes to the pump but that looks okay so I wasnt planning on replacing that one), and I've managed to undo all the other bolts.

However I have hit a snag as there is a clip (see relevant attached photo). Which is stopping me taking that line out?

Has anyone tried to do this job before I wanted to keep the original line in-tact but I have a feeling i will have a feeling I will need to separate lines 1 to 2 (ref diagram) anyway. I dont want to cut the original pipe as I'm not sure that will solve this clip issue (as well as the fact I want to see how I get the old one out so I can have some confidence to put the new line in.

Hopefully that makes sense, I would really appreciate any feedback/advice (I'm in Hertforshire in-case anyone wants to give a hand lol)

Jokes aside, thank you for the continued support on this community I'm not sure what I would do without the sound advice of everyone here!

Cheers,

Sasha

Attachments

• 1644600305937.png
    1644600305937.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Undone bolt.JPG
    Undone bolt.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 47
  • New Power Steering line.jpg
    New Power Steering line.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Hi Sasha,

This reply is only designed as a contribution which may be of use to you. I have not studied your diagram pipework, nor those pipes on my B so cannot comment substantially. However I have learned something over the past week to do with unscrewing rust-locked M8 bolts. This is that if you look at multiple YouTube videos for "best rust remover" you can see many comparative tests, but the removers all seem to have a similar effect which is that not only do most of them "penetrate" they also over a few hours will chemically "reduce" the level of rust. I have had some M8 bolts under bonnet which after soaking with appropriate rust remover, don't permit an easy unscrew until a few hours have passed. They have been better than simple penetrant oil. So my message is that if you are having a job in undoing rusted connections or bolts, apply a good measure of rust remover, leave for several hours, e.g. overnight, then you may have improved success.

Good luck

The B in Devon!

Back