Technical 2000 Barchetta - low power above 4k

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 Barchetta - low power above 4k

boddle88

New here - your help/view isgreatly appreciated.

Recent purchase, great body condition, minimal rust, always garaged, just had rad, pump, fuel filter and thermostat, starter motor etc (receipted and all checks out, mint)

145k km on the clock. On test drive - seemed fine

Drive next day (after splashing some fuel in) - loads of low-down torque, but nothing above 4k, or very jumpy/hesitant/low power.

Was overdue a service, so have done sparks, filters and oil and injector cleaner in the tank etc etc - sounds MUCH better but still nothing above 4k

Service book says VVT/variator done about 5k km ago
, but with the very little driving the previous owner did, that is about 2.5 years ago!

Coil packs seem a bit loose fitting but this FEELS more like fuelling issue to me. VVT issues would still allow decent power I guess?

THANKS

Attachments

• 20230521_171839.jpg
    20230521_171839.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
Some more info

- smell of fuel - new pump, checked it from roof space access hatch and seems OK but does smell
- wide open throttle basically hits a rev limiter at 3.5k....feels like fuel cutoff
- punpmp whines bur goes quiter under load
- fuel lines all look dry

Reading about vapour canisters and the solenoid in the canister in the engine bay - contribution?

There is a simple VVT check: hold the throttle steady at 2k rpm for about 30-45 seconds. It rpm's then climb to 4k rpm, then the VVT is OK.

Thanks. Seems to be working OK.

I have spent hours on this car and still I'm getting cutouts from 2.5k revs when accelerating. Everytbjg has been changed and checked....apart from the brand new fuel pump. I can only assume its at fault...or maybe injectors

- smoke test fine - no vacuum leaks
- pcv cleaned
- plugs, coils, service done
- no codes
- confirmed maf working (80 gr/s full load)
- confirmed ect working
- idles around 950- 1000
- ecuscan says injection time and spark within limits

So unless its slipped timing in the 1 night between test drive and issue appearing I'm at a loss!

Thanks. Seems to be working OK.

I have spent hours on this car and still I'm getting cutouts from 2.5k revs when accelerating. Everytbjg has been changed and checked....apart from the brand new fuel pump. I can only assume its at fault...or maybe injectors

- smoke test fine - no vacuum leaks
- pcv cleaned
- plugs, coils, service done
- no codes
- confirmed maf working (80 gr/s full load)
- confirmed ect working
- idles around 950- 1000
- ecuscan says injection time and spark within limits

So unless its slipped timing in the 1 night between test drive and issue appearing I'm at a loss!
Cutout when accelerating: when driving, or standing still ? Or both ? Your VVT check goes up to 4k rpm as expected ? That would be strange.
Silly but sometime true: loosen the fuel cap. Fuel pumps hate a vacuum. And check the fuel filter.

Driving. It's like it runs jnto a fuel cut / all cylinder misfire at around ~3k revs under load.

Variator seems OK l. Have also driven with it unplugged and same issue.

Your fuel vacuum idea is interesting....I've read that the evap system can fail...from separator to charcoal to solenoid to intake manifold....

My 1999 has the fuel filter built jnto the pump (which is new)

Will try without fuel cap but fairly sure its seal is cracked so would be amazed if holding a vacuum!

Back