Technical Sounds of small people hammering the underside when turning Left?!

Currently reading:
Technical Sounds of small people hammering the underside when turning Left?!

pashtun

My 05 55k Panda is booked into a Fiat dealer to investigate a racket that intermittently, but getting more frequent, happens from what sounds like under the handbrake lever region, under the car.

Mainly when going over rough roads and sometimes when cornering left. A percussive knock, quote quick like a tat tat tat noise, that I can sometimes feel through the drivers seat.
Also makes a grindy, moany noise too, last anything from 30 seconds to a couple of mins, but does shut up ultimately.
Local garage couldn't see anything amiss, all springs look fine, exhaust brackets etc...
Any ideas folks, does that sounds familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

Would be nice to get some video of it though I realise that's difficult. It sounds like a CV joint to me from the description as my Punto used to make a rat-a-tat-a-tat noise when turning because of a worn outer CV joint.
Thanks for that, good shout, I'll get the garage to check the CV joint out...

You can test a CV joint yourself. Drive the car slowly on full lock turning left then repeat turning right. A left side CV will clack louder going left than when going right noise gets faster/slower with speed of wheel rotation.

Park the car on full lock and look at the CV joint rubber bellows where the drive shaft goes into the wheel hub. Any spattering of grease or splits in the bellows means you at least need a new rubber but possibly a new CV joint.

You can test a CV joint yourself. Drive the car slowly on full lock turning left then repeat turning right. A left side CV will clack louder going left than when going right noise gets faster/slower with speed of wheel rotation.

Park the car on full lock and look at the CV joint rubber bellows where the drive shaft goes into the wheel hub. Any spattering of grease or splits in the bellows means you at least need a new rubber but possibly a new CV joint.
Great, thanks Dave, I'll give that a go!

Dave,
Seemingly not a CV joint as no noise on hard lock left or right and through the mud and rain (filthy N Yorks roads!) the bellows etc looked OK.
It's weird it's intermittent and is now happening on smooth straight roads, almost sounds like something is dragging along the road, but there is definitely nothing hanging down!!

Check the anti roll bar links as they rattle when worn, After that, all you can do is get under the car and look for anything that's loose.

Edit - Another thing comes to mind. Check the splash guards on back of disc brakes as they can rattle when corroded. Also, stones can get suick between the disc and guard.

Last edited:
And get the garage to check all the nooks and crannies for signs of small, left handed people!

Does it sound like this:

Mine made that sound. It turned out the top strut mounts were worn, along with the anti roll bar links.

Thankfully it's a very easy fix (you'll need spring compresses though) and should only take a couple of hours with the spanners.

Thanks Ratty for the video and taking the time to post it, but sadly its not the noise, mine is definitely coming from underneath the car, try the link below that will hopefully go to a YouTube video:

Thanks in advance!

I know- need to tidy the inside up!
It's a strange noise for sure, I've no ramps to have a good look underneath either.
Hopefully the dealer will locate the problem before something major happens or drops off!

Back