Technical Panda 2008 P0520 the car won't start and makes no sound when turning the key

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 2008 P0520 the car won't start and makes no sound when turning the key

Malisz

Hi, looked through the forum, but couldn't find this exact issue.

Yesterday I went to collect something from an eBay seller. Turned off my car for 5 min and when I tried to start it afterwards it just woudn't, no sound or anything. Light do come on, windows work so I figured it's not the battery being out of power.

Got it towed back home, and the guy that helped me, while not a mechanic, he said it might be a grounding issue or something with the wiring. I know very little about cars, but I would like to avoid having to pay for the towing again to take it to the garage.

I connected it to a 'computer' and I am getting P0520 error code.

Any idea if I can get it to work at least once so I can get it to the garage?

IMG_4112.jpg

Hi, looked through the forum, but couldn't find this exact issue.

Yesterday I went to collect something from an eBay seller. Turned off my car for 5 min and when I tried to start it afterwards it just woudn't, no sound or anything. Light do come on, windows work so I figured it's not the battery being out of power.

Got it towed back home, and the guy that helped me, while not a mechanic, he said it might be a grounding issue or something with the wiring. I know very little about cars, but I would like to avoid having to pay for the towing again to take it to the garage.

I connected it to a 'computer' and I am getting P0520 error code.

Any idea if I can get it to work at least once so I can get it to the garage?

View attachment 420985
Hi :)

2008 is relatively simple tech..

I had a 2004 for 14 years :)

Petrol..or Diesel?

Check the fuel cutoff switch (rubber-covered button under passenger seat)
I think on the 1.1 active there is no dash message when it is activated.
I think the P0520 could be a red herring.

I had exactly the same issue last Tuesday.. coming home from work and everthing works as it should.. filled up for a skip run and no sound at all when turning the key. Everything else worked as normal.
I also thought of the earth strap and the orginal one seems in quite good condition but could only quickly check the chassis connection so to be sure I have made two new straps as the material I have is half the size. One goes from the earth side battery to the gearbox and the other from the chassis to the gearbox and the problem is solved. I didn't look for codes or anything but the issue came out of nothing without any warning.

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_174931546.jpg
    IMG_20230402_174931546.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
found the switch I think. What do I do with it exactly? Tried pressing it but it didn’t do anything sadly

Attachments

• A88B8934-30D3-402E-8EC2-A87B78EF280B.jpeg
    A88B8934-30D3-402E-8EC2-A87B78EF280B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Oh.. forgot to mention that after the car started up again I did get some random warning lights like oil pressure etc.. but they all disapeared within minutes.

Oh.. forgot to mention that after the car started up again I did get some random warning lights like oil pressure etc.. but they all disapeared within minutes.
Hmm thats what the guy who was helping me yesterday suggested. Would you say a person with limited car knowledge could do it himself?

found the switch I think. What do I do with it exactly? Tried pressing it but it didn’t do anything sadly
It is only a simple press button. If you can't press it then it hasn't triggered and isn't the problem.
You should be able to feel it move if it has triggered.
But always best to check simple things first.

It is only a simple press button. If you can't press it then it hasn't triggered and isn't the problem.
Yeah I can feel it move up and down, so I guess this isnt it. My mate suggested I move some fuses around in case one blew, so I am gonna do that now and then I am gonna look into the possible grounding issue. I will keep checking this thread in case someone else might have an idea

Oh wait. I can feel it moving up and down. I miss-read what you said. It feels odd under my finger like its not flat but at an angle

windows is not a great test for a battery

windows are only a few amps

not the 120 amps needed by the starter motor

I'd start by trying jump leads from a running vehicle

its likely to have been sitting before being sold.

next you could try a push start should work even if the gearbox earth is bad and the starter is duff.

windows is not a great test for a battery

windows are only a few amps

not the 120 amps needed by the starter motor

I'd start by trying jump leads from a running vehicle

its likely to have been sitting before being sold.

next you could try a push start should work even if the gearbox earth is bad and the starter is duff.
Tried the leads yesterday and the guy tested the battery and said its ok. Also I had it for a while. Almost 2 years now, changed the battery more or less a year ago.

Hmm thats what the guy who was helping me yesterday suggested. Would you say a person with limited car knowledge could do it himself?

If you could find someone with jump start cables yes it would be quiet easy to confirm if you have a earth issue.
Use only one cable from the earth connection on the battery to the engine (i haver used the engine mount) press the connection of your jump lead firmly on the engine or mount.. anything bare clean metal.
If the starter motor works.. that will confirm your earth issue.

Yeah I can feel it move up and down, so I guess this isnt it. My mate suggested I move some fuses around in case one blew, so I am gonna do that now and then I am gonna look into the possible grounding issue. I will keep checking this thread in case someone else might have an idea
please don't randomly swap fuses

its unlikely to fix anything, but could introduce a new problem

do you have access to some jump leads
yeah, but no other car to help. We did try jump start it from the guys car yesterday and it didn’t work.

Also tried the negative to bare metal and also nothing.

Cant hear any sounds coming from the back its just quiet buzzing but its also there when I dont turn the key

yeah, but no other car to help. We did try jump start it from the guys car yesterday and it didn’t work.

Also tried the negative to bare metal and also nothing.

Cant hear any sounds coming from the back its just quiet buzzing but its also there when I dont turn the key
its quite quiet. should last about 5 second from turning the ignition on

might be easier if some listens in the back while you turn the key

Back