Technical 2012 Ypsilon Front Strut/spring clonking when turning

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Ypsilon Front Strut/spring clonking when turning

TurboJim

Hi all, I've got a 2012 Chrysler Ypsilon which is pretty much the same as a Panda under the skin... Last year I had both front shocks and top strut mounts replaced, but recently I've noticed that when stationary or at low speed I'm getting a clonk from the O/S spring when turning the wheel. At first I thought the spring was broken, but I can't see any damage and the vehicle is sitting nice and level. I've felt it with my hand whilst turning the wheel and the clonk definitely seems to be coming from the spring area rather than from the lower end or the steering rack.

Just wondered if this is likely to be a failure of the top bearing? It's only been on the car about 10 months. One thing I did notice is that the top metal cap (visible from engine bay) wasn't replaced, and this is a bit rusty with perished rubber around the edge - could this be having an effect on the spring when turning?

Many thanks!

Top strut mounts seem to vary in quality, but I always try and put some extra grease around the bearings if possible.
Eventually the defective strut bearing causes spring failure.

I replacd front struts and had a clonking. It seemed to be on-bump but was also a bit random. I did the job again and was more careful aligning the parts on the strut and it stopped. There was very little misalignment but something was not right. Check the spring is correctly positioned where is sits in the lower cup / support. Its particularly easy for this to be a few degrees off and not be properly seated. Our clonk was quite a loud and sharp one generally a single knock at each noise. Once reassembled it has not recurred. Also check there are no stones caught anywhere. I agree with Bugsymike that any sticking in the strut top bearing could easily be the cause to. The strut retaining and top nuts need to be correct torque too neither are easy to get right. In the end I got the dealer to check the torque after doing itas best as poss by experience.

Looks pretty different to the panda top mount

s-l1600.jpg

If you can make it happen I would start by making a video of the noise

Phone microphones are very sensative to distance, it should be possible to narrow down the location, top mount, drop link, spring, suspension arm, ball joint and so on

A single clunk, while turning, is less likely to be a top mount, or strut. But there are plenty things around the steering or suspention it could be

First port of call on the panda would be the rear suspension arm bush

Last edited:
Back