Sexual discrimination

Currently reading:
Sexual discrimination

That's fair enough, but every individual will have their own experiences. My own personal experience was almost being killed by a 20 year old lad in an Astra back in 1999. So needless to say, my bias is the polar opposite of yours.

The insurance companies have access to nationwide statistics, and ultimately set your premiums based on a profile of your own record and that of your peers. I'm not in the habbit of defending them, but in this case I think they are justified in their discrimination.

I'm the same way but feel that they should allow a way for every driver to lower there insurance costs.

i've never done anything stupid in the 1 year and 4months i've had my license, but i'd say 80% of those at the collage that i went to would race up and dont the back roads at over 80mpg in a 20mph zone:mad: (all crash more than once already & lost their licence(y) yet they drove in the next day in a brand new mx5?!(n) - they should have to face the high prices but the more careful drivers should be able to have a lower insurance cost(y)

I'm the same way but feel that they should allow a way for every driver to lower there insurance costs......

.....the more careful drivers should be able to have a lower insurance cost(y)

It already exists, but sadly the burden of proof is on the individual to prove their safety record by earning no-claims bonus. You say you've been driving 16 months, and in the eyes of an insurance company that's a drop in the ocean. Until you get a few more years behind you you'll have to continue paying for the lunacy of other young men in your age group. I know that seems very unfair, but for an insurance company to properly profile every individual they cover would result in costs beyond all but the deepest pockets.

I've heard of an insurance jobby where they fit a tracker to your car - so they can monitor how you drive - speeds etc...

However, i've also been told that the insurer rarely lowers the cost after the 12 months that you would have this on your car...(n)

For what ever reason if i add a tracker my insurance will go up by ~ £1,000 - I would have though adding a tracker or car alarm would decrease the cost, yet mine goes up if i do this... - might just be my insurer

Anyone else with similar exp?

I've heard of an insurance jobby where they fit a tracker to your car - so they can monitor how you drive - speeds etc...

However, i've also been told that the insurer rarely lowers the cost after the 12 months that you would have this on your car...(n)'

For what ever reason if i add a tracker my insurance will go up by ~ £1,000 - I would have though adding a tracker or car alarm would decrease the cost, yet mine goes up if i do this... - might just be my insurer

Anyone else with similar exp?

I'm insured with I-Kube, I don't think they monitor how I drive but the restriction is that if I drive in the 'red hours' between 11pm and 5am I get charged £60 for that night, it doesn't bother me because I'm in bed by then. :D That was the only way to reduce my insurance from over £3000 to £1999. (y) That was the cheapest I could get.

Dom

Just to give a couple of examples, the young lad who knocked me off my bike in 1999 ended up costing his insurer well over £100,000 in legal fees and compensation. and all because he was regularly treating residential streets as his personal rcae track. I can only try to imagine how much his renewal quote was, but I did notice him walking a lot for months afterwards.

The bulk of these types of accidents are caused by young drivers between 17 and 25 years of age. Therefore it's natural that insurers will load the premiums of young males to compensate.

On the other hand, I've managed to go 18 years of motorcycling without any claims or own-fault accidents. As a result I can insure an Italian superbike with 170mph potential for well under £150 fully comp. And yet I pay double that to insure an old 1.3 Fiesta simply because I only have one year of NCB on cars due to not having a personal car for many years.

The lesson is that your personal record counts massively where insurance is concerned. Until you have the evidence of the care you take on the roads you'll be treated as a liability.

I have to say I got an excellent laugh out of those people on here that are waiting for men to get a discount because of this (y)

Insurers must be rubbing their hands with glee- The only reason women pay less is because they could never arrange *every* insurer to equate prices for both sexes.

The whole law is ridiculous. Women and men should be "discriminated" against for various differences that exist. Men claim on insurance more so should pay higher.

Im sorry but i have a slightly harsh view on the matter. There are many instances that this law isnt fair on everybody. If i interview 2 people for a job. One Female and One Male. They are both equally capable, want the same wage and are in the Late 20's early 30's. The women says "I have been married for a year". Now what does one do. I cant believe that it is illegal for a small company to to employ the male on the Grounds that the Female is likely to have children soon.
Does the EU really think that small companies can afford to pay and loose a member of staff for a year? Then when they do come back only work 4 days a week.

I know of a company that was predominantly staffed by women. (that alone would be seen as discrimination had it of been men). The company isnt doing as well as it could be. This is partly due to the fact that it hasnt had full staff for years due to maternity leave and due to these reasons they are going to have to let others take over to sort it out. (not necessarily men btw)

Last edited:
I work in a job where the majority of staff are female and today heard them all going on and whining about the fact their insurance may go up a little. (These were women of vastly varying ages!) I'm certainly no boy racer, live in a good post code and drive a Panda :p

When i told them i had to insure a group one Fiat Seicento (I had to describe the car and how insurance groups work :bang:) for £1200 third party fire and theft in my second year of driving they were astonished and most of them shut up! haha

I do agree with Shadeyman and the rest, that if it is a specific identifiable group of individuals (i.e gender) then that is how it should be. (Although, there are many other groups of people that are more likely to crash) I really can't see it going down to family background, where the young drivers in tracksuits and caps have to pay more simply because of stereotypes ;)

I do have to say though, that in an equal society it should be made a little more even!

What they should be doing is Yes - First Year or 2 - make you a pay More
your bound to make mistakes - the insurance clears it up

like the 2 year probation period when you've just passed - insurance should do the same

Once You prove you are a well behaved Driver you should be given benifit of the dowt - and insurance dropped alot :)

But if you get Points or Make a claim and your at fault - then i think they should be penalised for it

I do think they should modify the Driving test as well - as its easy todo
Make it include a possible Real life scenario test - like cardboard cuts out jump out at you - you have to make a descission what todo
Swerve - Brake? - Run him over?
and have Other things come at you like other Cardboard cars - cardboard WONT hurt a car
And the driver gets that real experience of What MIGHT happen on the road

Ziggy

they should charge more, but if you dont claim give you cash back, give kids a reason to think twice

I think thats quite a good idea actually. I've been driving 6 months and not claimed so they must owe me about a grand by now:D.
Although you won't hear me complaining about anything that has the potential to reduce my premium, currently paying about £2800, will be about £3000 if I were to get the exhaust I want:bang:

Insurance is basically a shared risk system, but rates are decided on by Actuaries whose job is to work out who presents a greater or lesser risk to the system.

For instance, I, for my sins am a smoker, therefore insurance companies think I'm at greater risk of serious illness or premature death and from a health insurance point of view may cost more so if I took out health insurance I would be penalised with higher premiums than a non-smoker.

My life insurance premiums would likewise be higher as I might snuff it sooner. If my house is in South Yorkshire and built over or near a coal mine my premiums may be higher because of an increased risk of subsidence, or they may refuse to cover me for that risk. Likewise in areas prone to flooding, and so on.

The Actuaries would also have done their job prior to offering lower premiums to females.

Pension companies on the other hand know that smokers are likely to cost them less as they might die by age 75 as opposed to a non-smoker who may live another 10 or 15 years.

I completely fail to understand what business of the EU this is. There are enough problems in Europe without them sticking their noses into this. Recently Motorway speed limits for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and under 7.5 tonnes were reduced to 56 mph the same as the heavies. If speed limits need to be altered in this country then that is the job of Westminster.

Likewise, if insurance premiums need adjusting.....that's why we have a government.....or do we?

Say they Pay 1000 for Insurance for a year :)
if they Behave - they get 250 Back!

However - if they are caught say within 6months after been refunded with speeding/points or An accident - i think they should pay back half the Refund (so £250) Gives them a really bad sting - so they realise what a twonk they've been! okay thats basically like excess - but make it like Fine for poor driving without the Police been involved

There are going to be lots of good systems - but it all does depend on what gets done

Ziggy

Back