Sexual discrimination

Currently reading:
Sexual discrimination

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

Ive been saying this for years!!!
What is also interesting is the pension side.
What are your thoughts?

Personally I think its another load of EU bulls**t.

Insurance is all about "risk assessment".
Male drivers pose a higher risk to a company than female drivers so deserve higher costs when needing insurance.
Now because of another Bulls**t law the EU has introduced the total cost of car insurance for the missus, my daughter and I will increase because they deffinately wont be lowering the cost of my insurance, they'll increase the cost of my missus's and my daughter.

Why the hell did we join the EU. :mad:

Last edited:
What I dont understand is their percentage calculations for the increase/ reduction.

Women pay 25% more and men pay 8% less therefore men are currently paying 33% more for insurance - I thought the increase was a lot more than that. I realise it depends on the car but I thought it was around 50% more?

if this rule is passed tho - it means i could be quids in finally for my renew

it seems silly that in my case - im going to pay more for the 3rd year of driving then i did my 2nd! :(

I do worry about insurance, as i think it'll just go up anyway untill we all reach the point where people dont bother either being insured
OR
People dont drive no more :(

Ziggy

if this rule is passed tho - it means i could be quids in finally for my renew

it seems silly that in my case - im going to pay more for the 3rd year of driving then i did my 2nd! :(

I do worry about insurance, as i think it'll just go up anyway untill we all reach the point where people dont bother either being insured
OR
People dont drive no more :(

Ziggy

think its a race between fuel & insurance as to which puts folks off the road sooner

out of interest. has anyone got any figures for crashes in NZ where motor insurance is optional.. i wont be complaining if insurance for men goes down a little bit

For once I'm almost totally in agreement with the Shadey bloke! (y)

Insurance companies are all about profiling and informed discrimination. It's how the system works. If it's going to become illegal to profile based on gender (inspite of all the evidence that women are vastly less likely to cause major accidents), then how long before some bright young spark decides to complain about the inherent age discrimination? An individual has no more control over their date of birth than they do over their gender.

Expect to see everybody paying the same premiums as the average boy racer by 2014 at the latest :rolleyes:

For once I'm almost totally in agreement with the Shadey bloke! (y)

Insurance companies are all about profiling and informed discrimination. It's how the system works. If it's going to become illegal to profile based on gender (inspite of all the evidence that women are vastly less likely to cause major accidents), then how long before some bright young spark decides to complain about the inherent age discrimination? An individual has no more control over their date of birth than they do over their gender.

Expect to see everybody paying the same premiums as the average boy racer by 2014 at the latest :rolleyes:

You know what - thats a very good point!
first sex - then age
And before we know it - young lads will have big cars which they just cant control

I like small - as i like those spaces big cars cant get into - yet i can with ease!

I think it'll have benifits for some people - and less for others
Its one of those things, something should have been done before it got to the point it has now where there having to take a drastic decisions about it

Like improving the UK driving scheme - Tackeling the Un-insured Driver - the unlicenced drivers and hitting people harder for drink-driving / A No Alcohol limit

If they go for a No-Alcohol in system i'm all for it! or a very very low barrier like 5mg per 100mg of breathe - so you can still eat alcoholic chocolates :)

Or have more devices in cars or portable stuff so people know there limits!

Ziggy

im not sexist or anything, but ALL (but 1) persons that have crashed into our cars then just P*ssed off have all be female - hence they didn't make a claim...

all of the male drivers that have hit our cars have Always knocked on the door to let us know of the damage before they leave.

The one off - as stated on first line - was a hit and run at a set of lights :mad: as apposed to hitting the car while it was parked..

im not sexist or anything, but ALL (but 1) persons that have crashed into our cars then just P*ssed off have all be female - hence they didn't make a claim...

all of the male drivers that have hit our cars have Always knocked on the door to let us know of the damage before they leave.

The one off - as stated on first line - was a hit and run at a set of lights :mad: as apposed to hitting the car while it was parked..

That's fair enough, but every individual will have their own experiences. My own personal experience was almost being killed by a 20 year old lad in an Astra back in 1999. So needless to say, my bias is the polar opposite of yours.

The insurance companies have access to nationwide statistics, and ultimately set your premiums based on a profile of your own record and that of your peers. I'm not in the habbit of defending them, but in this case I think they are justified in their discrimination.

Back