General Servicing....

Currently reading:
General Servicing....

Shenzo

How many of you self service your car?

I want to change the Oil on my sei but i'm totally lost when it comes down to cars I know you have to buy a filter and oil(obviously) can anyway school me on this subject

It's not a Cinquecento it's Seicento, i don't know if they have simular systems.

The car has done 64,000. I checked the oil and it looked horible and black. My brother told me their isn't that much to it. Is there any guides or anything on here, i've done a search and come up with nothing.

Most of the tasks will be the same and it will have the same service schedule. Did it have a 60k service? Sounds like it didn't so may need a good going over, also has it had a cambelt change (assuming it has one, not sure which model it is)?

Shenzo said:
It's not a Cinquecento it's Seicento, i don't know if they have simular systems.

The car has done 64,000. I checked the oil and it looked horible and black. My brother told me their isn't that much to it. Is there any guides or anything on here, i've done a search and come up with nothing.

Still buy a haynes cinq manual especially if the vehicle was made between 1998-2001 as the cinq and sei had the exact same engine

Ok i'll buy a manual where do i get the haynes cinq manual?

My dad says the cambelt it weak and feels very loose, and so did my mechanic say it needs changing I don't think the previous owner took good care for the car but listen. what do you think I paid £620 for a 1998 Seicento with 3 months Tax 64, 000 miles alloys, cd player, but the thing is the handbreak didn't work so i got that fixed today for £90. But overral you think I got good deal on my Sei :eek:

Shenzo said:

It would still be a good idea to get the Cinq Haynes manual - there is no Sei version.

Not much to an oil change.......................drain oil via the sump plug (12mm sump key is needed IIRC). Drain it into an old container or something so you can dispose of it properly :) Remove filter using filter tool - make sure the rubber sealing ring from the old filter is taken off too. Fit the new filter (put a bit of clean engine oil on the new rubber sealing ring first) and tighten it hand tight. Refit the sump plug. Add a bit of oil and make sure that the sump plug and filter are not leaking. Then add a bit more oil, checking all the time that the sump plug/filter aren't leaking. Keep checking the dipstick until the level is between the maximum and minimum. Give the oil a chance to get down to the sump first :) Then start the engine and let it run - don't forget to refit the oil cap :) Check for any leaks, and that the oil pressure light goes out. After a few minutes of running, stop the engine and recheck the dipstick and top up if necessary. Clear everything up and you should be done (y)

HTH

Shenzo said:
Ok i'll buy a manual where do i get the haynes cinq manual?

My dad says the cambelt it weak and feels very loose, and so did my mechanic say it needs changing I don't think the previous owner took good care for the car but listen. what do you think I paid £620 for a 1998 Seicento with 3 months Tax 64, 000 miles alloys, cd player, but the thing is the handbreak didn't work so i got that fixed today for £90. But overral you think I got good deal on my Sei :eek:

A bloody good deal by the sounds of it. (y) A lot of people change the cam belt as a matter of course when they buy a second hand car anyway as a failsafe.

You can get a Haynes from Halfords, though they do come up on eBay - it may work out cheaper seeing as it'll probably get a bit grubby (y)

Just over 600 for a 98 sei with 64k was a very good deal.

But if cambelt does need doing i wouldnt wait around

Wow thanks a lot Chaos much appreciated, it's given me a good understanding. where abouts can i locate the sump plug? and which filter do i buy because i went to Halfords and saw 100's i was confused which 1 to get

Shenzo said:
Wow thanks a lot Chaos much appreciated, it's given me a good understanding. where abouts can i locate the sump plug? and which filter do i buy because i went to Halfords and saw 100's i was confused which 1 to get

Not a problem :)

Sump plug is under the sump - stick your head under - you can't miss it (y)

There should be a little flip chart next to the filters. Find the Sei and it should have the code for the correct filter. Just need to find the filter with the correct code then (y)

I paid £130 which included parts and fitting for a new temp sensor, themostat and cambelt at Dove Garage. Desira wanted to charge £300 for the same work :ekk:. Got it done a few weeks ago I thought it wasn't a bad price :D

chaos said:
You can get a Haynes from Halfords, though they do come up on eBay - it may work out cheaper seeing as it'll probably get a bit grubby (y)

You could also get a Haynes here (y) £7 +£1.50 P&P ain't too shabby :D

Back