Technical drive shaft damper service life

Currently reading:
Technical drive shaft damper service life

Pep0

Established member
The drive shaft vibration damper on the long drive shaft of my Sei has started to break up, there are cracks in the rubber from the clamp securing it to the shaft proceeding into the main body of the damper.

It did not seem bad last Jan... and it got a MoT in March, but my driving style of sitting at 3000rpm on Motorway for long intervals may be thrashing the damper, i.e. too near to a shaft resonance frequency... I can speed up easily...

Mick at eurocarcare says none of the 3rd party shafts have dampers, and Fiat don't do it as a separate spare part.

Does any one bother about replacing dampers? I can sticcaflex it to see what happens or try and find a generic 3rd party damper.

I'll try that as you suggest, sticca may move the resonance im getting in the damper, at the same time it still should protect the shaft.

I'll degrease proper first

I'll report back any symptoms, the shaft is at 90k miles

The damper shows a lot more damage over the last 3000 miles if it fails it wont fall off and it won't interfere with the inner boot or chassis. But it might cause a vibration I don't need vibration 400 miles from base.

The options are unclip and remove before it fails, sticca it, or replace the shaft with new or scrappy.

Im told none of the 3rd party ones come with a damper and that the OEM shafts which do come with a damper are expensive,

Sticca is the simple option until I have time to address.

I was aware that the Cinqs came with two types of dampers from Haynes but a whole shaft from a scrappy is probable similar in price and more convenient. But thanks for the thought.

Back