Technical Time for big service?

Currently reading:
Technical Time for big service?

Hi All,

I think my little 2003 MPI Seicento is due for a big service, my reasoning behind this is as follows.

I got the car in November 2011 with 54,500 miles on her, currently she is now on 87,400 (yes that some mileage in 2 years). In this time I have done the following.

I also replaced a rear brake cylinder as this had seized.

General Servicing;- Oil, Oil Filters (every 8-12 months) Spark Plugs (Every 6-8 months General NGK plugs) and replaced air filter and HT leads with the first service I done. I have also had 2 sets of brake pads on the front and replaced the rear brake shoes.

I have also had the clutch changed around 63,000 miles as it was snapping cables for a past time (4 in the space of 2,500 miles)

I've had the radiator changed as this was leaking.

The car does a mix of town driving, national dual carriageway driving, motorway driving and helps move houses a few times a year.

Is there anything I should be looking at / checking / doing extra now the car is starting to get to a higher mileage?

I'm due to do an oil change as its around that time I've already done the plugs the weekend I'm looking at HT Leads again (as have a missfire on idle again).

What's involved with a big Service?

Currently I have uneven pad wear on the driver side front brake and its slightly holding.... is this an easy fix?.

Any help / suggestion please?

Many Thanks

Martyn

Last edited:
uneven pad wear could be seized caliper that's worse case scenario.would need a new one, but you an remove the caliper and caliper carrier make sure the sliders aren't seized if they are remove and grease them. Easy enough to do with basic tools

Opinions -- even FIATs opinions! -- will vary on the cambelt. But 50k miles/4 years is about right. It's a very easy job on the 8v FIRE engines. Do the tensioner at the same time, water pump would be a good idea, too.

The coolant will be fine -- red stuff is 5 years max, blue stuff is 2 years.

Of course, if you're changing the water pump then the coolant will have to be drained anyway, so a flush and refill is also recommended.

Ok I'm due for a cam belt and water pump as I have no past service history only what I've done, I will start pricing this up as really don't trust myself doing this. Car has done best part of 40k whilst I've owned it so it must be close or way way past the 50k mark. Will I be pushing my luck to still use the car as normal till I can get booked in for cam belt with this unknown history of the current belt ? Will there be any warning signs before it goes or will it just suddenly go and write the engine off?

On a FIRE 8v the engine will just stop. (It's a "safe" or non interference engine, so no danger of valves hitting pistons, etc.).

For this reason, it's a great proposition for your first cambelt change. Custard did a fine guide. Or the Haynes Cinq manual or Seicento Technical Manual (in the Downloads library) cover it well.

well you can take the sender unit out and check there it isn't full of crud - been a few posts recently where people have had stuff in bottom reducing flow causing issues. I guess it could be due to rotting tanks that have been replaced and not checking the sender.....

Back