Screen Wash

Currently reading:
Screen Wash

Washing up liquid seriously? It will freeze after a cold snap, and streak. I did it once as I thought it would be better than just water, I was wrong.

Yip seriously. Screen wash also freezes and costs more. As I say I don't use mine much in the frozen winter unless its really dirty. No I don't get streaks as the wipers see to that. Its worked fine since I started driving in 86 and it will work fine in the future. As for leaving streaks over the rest of the car, so what. Its winter and dirty anyway. Ill wash it come march. :D

My screenwash has never frozen...

And I am pleased for you. I cant say I care that much but I am pleased. Below is the OP. It whines about how poor its getting and the price. Highlighted is the main question.

What does everyone else use? Washing up liquid
Is it good value for money? Yip
Decent freeze protection? nope

Why feel the need to disrespect other peoples choice just because it differs from yours. Im not the one on the internet whining about expensive screen wash. What I am doing is saying I use a cheap alternative what has worked for me for years.

Am I the only one who's noticed how expensive its become in the last few years, and that most seems to be absolute rubbish only protecting down to minus nothing?

I use the Lidl W5 stuff atm, protects down to -60C neat, and -10C in the concentration I use it, but this has gone up from £3.99, to £4.99 and now £5.99 for 5L.

What does everyone else use? Is it good value for money and decent freeze protection :confused:

The best way to tell if the screen wash is any good is to shake the bottle and see how quick the bubbles disappear if they take mor than 30s-1min (1L size) then it's coloured water your buying if they disappear rapidly this means a higher alcohol content (the anti freeze bit) make sure it has calcium inhibitors in it as this will stop the fan type jets from blocking too

A know am sad but good to have on a pub quiz lol

Try it if you don't believe me

You should work for WHICH magazine :p

Personally I don't like Prestone screenwash, I bought some premixed and it has something in it which coats the screen. I find that it smears really badly when I used the wipers. I got some vouchers with my Shell Drivers Club card and bought some of their screenwash which I like, it comes in a plastic pouch!

Personally I don't like Prestone screenwash, I bought some premixed and it has something in it which coats the screen.

Yes, the rainx like additive. Personally have no issue with it myself and never found it to smear my screens, although others have reported it does for them. Does make me wonder if its an issue with the quality of the wipers used possibly?

Thin it down,

you can make abottle of this go along way, ithink anyway, (y)

ijust use a cap and half to a liter of water,

the smell is the chemical that stops the freezing its got other stuff into which helps the rain bead off the screen easier,

its differnt prices at differnt stores, asda is cheapest place ive seen it
sometimes its at front of stores on offer along with the de-icer and other stuff theyre trying to get rid of,

edit,, just checked on bottle,

2 liters of this makes 40 litres,

so use it neat and it will no doubt fubar up wiper blades, :(

itd no doubt stretch too 50 litres, so under a fiver, its good (y)

But for -10C protection you have to you it neat don't you :confused:

says on bottle to use neat for winter, (iwouidnt) tried it tho, :(

Autumn, 1part screen wash to 9 parts water,
Summer, 1 part screen wash to 19 parts water,

ive been thining it right down MEP and its never froze,

*It does go streaky if used neat, hence why idont,

ive used autosmart for years but its not cheap but is effective down to something cold silly
then did a cost assessment and thought why am i buying this
my truck bottle still packed in last week due to dreaded algae
so no matter what you use its not perfect
so i bought a load of eurcarpartsstuff at less than £4 a galleon
smells pretty so the tarts will love it:D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back