Screen Wash

Currently reading:
Screen Wash

Am I the only one who's noticed how expensive its become in the last few years, and that most seems to be absolute rubbish only protecting down to minus nothing?

I use the Lidl W5 stuff atm, protects down to -60C neat, and -10C in the concentration I use it, but this has gone up from £3.99, to £4.99 and now £5.99 for 5L.

What does everyone else use? Is it good value for money and decent freeze protection :confused:

I've been using Tesco 2.5l concentrated for £3, they seem to have offers every now and then, last one I got for £2.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279907981

It goes a bit foamy when it comes out of the jets but it's fine, although anything but neat freezes instantly on my screen if outside temp is + 1 or 2 (n) but screen still has ice, neat it's done the job so far this winter, but only tested down to -2

For the money it keeps my screen clean the Mrs can pick it up during normal shopping trip, so it just appears by the back door from time to time :cool: :slayer:

Might give this a go when I next need some :)

New POLYGARD CONCENTRATED ARTIC SCREEN WASH (25 LTR) PERFUMED NON SMEAR -20c: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Last edited:
bought some de icer crap from sainsburrys, not a fan,

I'm just going with the cheapest for now.

i once bought some from halfords 5L concentrated for a fiver in yellow lasted forever.
if it wasnt for the colour id of bought more

I use the Bluecol stuff, it seems to last through several top-ups and will get rid of a light coating of frost.

Last edited:
Halfords pro Winter Citrus(I highly rate that), Pricey but It's SUPER concentrated I keep adding water to what I had left in the bottle and it's still strong. I bought one 5L bottle about 3 months ago and I've still got a bit left.

Prestone, I love the anti rain additive. I think B&M Bargains have it in cheap at the moment. I just bought a 5L bottle of that ready for when the Halfords stuff runs out.

Last edited:
I still use the Lidl stuff.

Whilst I've been away at sea, my Dad has been running the car about for me but he can't stand the smell of the Lidl stuff - so he's been topping it up with whatever he can acquire from work (HGV Driver).

Even at £6 a bottle, the Lidl stuff is good value. I tend to mix it to -10ish concentration and I'm finding one bottle will last the year.

I could probably get away with a more dilute mix, but that just smears like hell.

I think you're right MEP - many of the supermarket ones are around the -2 to -3 mark.

Last edited:
This is my point exactly, Halfords home brand only goes down to -2C and iirc Tesco isn't too dissimilar (n)

As Chris said halfords sell big concentrated bottles of their "advanced" screen wash which is good down to minus 20 which is about 7 quid a bottle It's never at the front door they always put them inside so you have to work past all the ready mixed 5l bottles that are only good to minus 2.

They have different colours/smells which do different temperature levels I seem to recall, I just walked in looked for one down to minus 20 given it got down to minus 14 Last year but didn't do a full appraisal of the range.

Edit: yup checked under the kitchen sink I have a citrus one which is good for minus 20, think you must have the berries one.

Last edited:
Since we havn't hit stupidly cold freezes yet - only mild frost, im running water and a dribble of snow foam or body wash or something

Mostly water tbh

Once it freezing time, it'll be a case of screenwash, but i find most of mine freezes up badly, and i end up driving without washers for ages as the engine slowly defrosts the washer yets

Ziggy

I cant remember where I got mine, but I carry a 5l container full of water/concentrate mix given the number of times I have to use it.
I also carry a squirty bottle with soapy water in so I can clean my mirrors and side windows after the weekend.
The perils of parking on a busy main road eh.

I just use washing up liquid. Magnum is 80 odd pence from aldi and lasts forever. Never had a freezing problem either but i tend not to use the screen wash much in the cold anyway unless stuck behind a large dirty truck.

bought some de icer crap from sainsburrys, not a fan,

I'm just going with the cheapest for now.

i once bought some from halfords 5L concentrated for a fiver in yellow lasted forever.
if it wasnt for the colour id of bought more

+1 on the cheapest halfords has to offer,
I also had some yellow stuff before, definitely not again, always felt like a cat pissing on my screen

The best way to tell if the screen wash is any good is to shake the bottle and see how quick the bubbles disappear if they take mor than 30s-1min (1L size) then it's coloured water your buying if they disappear rapidly this means a higher alcohol content (the anti freeze bit) make sure it has calcium inhibitors in it as this will stop the fan type jets from blocking too

A know am sad but good to have on a pub quiz lol

Try it if you don't believe me

Back