General Rude Fiat Dealer

Currently reading:
General Rude Fiat Dealer

Hey guys, just got a coil from Roger at Guest Fiat with the results on the diagnosis and a solution.

He diagnosed that there were intermittent faults and permanent faults, the intermittent were ones such as 'asr fault'.
The permanent ones were the 'airbag' and 'engine management', the pressure sensor in the seat has failed and is goin to set me back approx £120 to have stripped, replaced and trimmed, while the engine management light is due to one of the two lamba sensors failing, so the one working is working twice the rate. I think he quoted £100+ for lamba without labour, but I'm sure I could get this cheaper elsewhere, tbh I shud have concentrated on the prices he was givin ne, but I were to get the work done there it wud all come to £350 inc the diagnosis. Might call him back to get a break down of the prices again.

I wouldnt bother with the OCS and a lambda at my dealer on my old Punto was £120 so im sure you could get yours for similar.
If it was the lambda though did you not notice the deterioration of drivability? I.e when the lambda starts to go you have to thrash the car to get it to move.

Lol @ Shadeyman....Stu do you honestly think I could manage changing an lambda sensor.

@ Volxstu, I did notice some changes car was quite erratic but I never put it down to the o2 sensor solely I thought as the car was a none runner when I had time to diag it, jus wait and see if there is something else causing the issue.

Find out if they mean the pre cat or post cat Lambda. With a generic then you need to be able to do some top quality wiring connections so you're much better off with the proper job and a lot quicker too

They're around £65 on Ebay although I'd advise to have a £10 lambda sensor socket with a slot up the side for the wiring for ease of removal and installation

Got the quote from Guest again and it was a total of £230 inc diagnosis, repairing loose connection under driver seat, lambda sensor fitted with labour and vat, and removal of intermittent fault codes. I don't think its too bad a price so gave them the go ahead.

Forgot to ask if it was pre or postcat, atleats the part will be guaranteed inc the labour should it fail.
Can't wait to take her home.

Got the quote from Guest again and it was a total of £230 inc diagnosis, repairing loose connection under driver seat, lambda sensor fitted with labour and vat, and removal of intermittent fault codes. I don't think its too bad a price so gave them the go ahead.

Forgot to ask if it was pre or postcat, atleats the part will be guaranteed inc the labour should it fail.
Can't wait to take her home.

So I picked up the Stilo after shelling out just under £300 for diag and lamba sensor being fitted, drive home was pleasant, no warnings on the dash minus the air bag (due to sensor in passenger seat)...

Got home parked u for approx 45 mins and was heading out again....but wait, the car didnt even start on first try just the engine turning over with no ignition, then hey presto 'christmas lights on the dash' asr, loose connection,car security and the engine management light'

WTF *excuse my french* but i'm seriously at my wits end, is there any point in reporting it back to the Fiat dealer...I imagine them saying 'well your off the forecourt mate...tough chips'

Undoubtedly it should be easier to find a fault if it's actually present when being investigated otherwise it's total guesswork. But whether THEY'll be able to find out what's wrong depends entirely in your confidence of your experience so far using them.

They should have known and obviously so that changing lambda sensor, fixing connections under seat and clearing fault codes would have no influence on a non starter and dashboard going haywire so they shouldn't be in the least surprised that the work they did wouldn't fix the underlying fault and be almost keeping the kettle on waiting for you to return. But whether you do is up to you

Lost connection warning combined with dashboard going haywire is more like a CAN bus fault and when you add in security failure and complete non starter then you're back to body computer to ECU comms failure

Last edited:
If they do a false diagnosis they surely should be held responsible for the actual fault but i fully agree that if a fault aint there you cant fix it... Intermittant faults are such a pain.

Undoubtedly it should be easier to find a fault if it's actually present when being investigated otherwise it's total guesswork. But whether THEY'll be able to find out what's wrong depends entirely in your confidence of your experience so far using them.

They should have known and obviously so that changing lambda sensor, fixing connections under seat and clearing fault codes would have no influence on a non starter and dashboard going haywire so they shouldn't be in the least surprised that the work they did wouldn't fix the underlying fault and be almost keeping the kettle on waiting for you to return. But whether you do is up to you

Lost connection warning combined with dashboard going haywire is more like a CAN bus fault and when you add in security failure and complete non starter then you're back to body computer to ECU comms failure

Just this second came back in from checking the car, and low an behold it started first time, with no fault codes bar airbag light...:bang:i dont know whats going on.

Confidence has taken a dent but will see what they say come Monday as a re-reported the fault, the salesperson said he had to speak to the general manager...but by the time Monday comes will the car start and will it arrive at the dealer as a non starter, if not at least i can get it recovered by RAC, not sure which of the two i prefer!!!

As you have mentioned Deckchair may be wise to next check the ECU/body computer and coms

If they do a false diagnosis they surely should be held responsible for the actual fault but i fully agree that if a fault aint there you cant fix it... Intermittant faults are such a pain.

Pain in the royal A-hole i tell you :cry:

Sorry to hear the fault has returned.

I'm suprised they didn't investigate the U1601 - CAN Messages error further considering the cars none start history.

See what happens on Monday Stu :shrug:

Guinness. (y)

How many crates you want lol

Last edited:
Managed to take the car around the block and after starting it first time, the main thing I noticed was erratic idling, the rev meter would drop to nothing and I would have to give it gas to save from it cutting out.

Spoke to main dealer and they are happy for me to return the car under parts warranty, otherwise it would be new costs to investigate.

My main aim I to get the car running as to part ex, to sell in current condition wouldn't be fair to a potential private purchaser!

Thanks Stu, have dropped the car off at Fiat after breaking down at doctors, car restarted and cut down when RAC came, one thing to note is once the car is driving and cuts out the immobiliser light comes, I either have to leave it min an hour to chance restarting, but once that light is on car won't restart. Only goin to cost £25 for diag whooooopi (not).

Back