General Rude Fiat Dealer

Currently reading:
General Rude Fiat Dealer

Urm you have tried the obvious cleaning Throttle body and checking charge from the ALT?

I just remembered my next door neighbour had this problem on his clio over x-mas. We cleaned up the TB and that stopped it from stalling so quickly so they car could drive short distances. Then we traced the problem back to the ECU as nothing was telling the Alternator to charge the battery. He is just waiting to here from the ECU repair place but my guess is a dry solder on the part of the ECU that tells the Alternator to do its thing.

You appear to have tried everything else, have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the engine managemant ECU connector(s)?

Used to cure all manner of problems with older generation ECUs. Perhaps some contact cleaner while they're apart?

Was the first thing I checked and cleaned.

The fault is so regular, 30 seconds normally, it makes me think of some sort of static build up that causes the ECU to fail. Something is governing the time it takes to fail quite accurately. As though a timer is set for it to fail. I would have thought bad earths and loose connections would give some variation in the time it takes to fail but this is very regular? I'm thinking a failed component, alternator, ECU, body computer etc. Maybe a combination of 2 or 3 components failing, a sort of domino effect.

For example: Alternator fails, this takes out the body computer or steering node cutting all CAN comunication, so epic failure and not able to read ECU errors?

Last edited:
Isnt 30 seconds the time that the ignition stays active after power down? I.e you can open/close windows in that time.
Have you tried opening the door as this seems to cut the power dead.

What if you hook another car to the sick one. Like when cold, and a dead battery. Let the good one idle for a minute, then start the bad one. Will it continue to run after 30 seconds? Then it is a power issue.

Just a shot in the dark...

to me sounds like as you said some sort of build up of charge, or more specifically, a lack of ability to discharge a capacitor somewhere in the ECU causing shut down...its seems, because of the regularity, that it could be a dead resistor on the discharge circuit. hence it takes time for the capacitor to discharge before you can start it again...my money is on fried ECU

to me sounds like as you said some sort of build up of charge, or more specifically, a lack of ability to discharge a capacitor somewhere in the ECU causing shut down...its seems, because of the regularity, that it could be a dead resistor on the discharge circuit. hence it takes time for the capacitor to discharge before you can start it again...my money is on fried ECU

Hope its not ECU as it could be expensive, but yes, thats the sort of thing I think it could be.

This definately sounds like an ignition swith issue, won't say anymore, i'll wait and see the outcome, loss of feed after 27 sec, (switch o/heat, high resistance, loss of certain circuits etc)

regards

Mal

I'll pay for a night out if i'm wrong, will cost a lot more if i am right lol

Hi guys, I'm new here. :wave: I ve got the Stilo 1.6 3dr from about 4 months and all was fine. And about 2 months ago god make me suffer... engine fault and airbag failure on the dash board. :( The engine was running but it was like only 3 cylinders working, drinks petrol and no power. Then I spend more then a months trying to sort out the problem. I ve been it 3 different garages etc the local Fiat dealer. I was told from the fiat mechanics that the ECU is faulty and need replacing- £600 original one from fiat. Any ways, I found a second hand online, I ve got it, and then went back to the fiat dealer to decode the new ECU. But nahh, they cant do it, so I contact my last chance - ECU clinic in Epsom, still same thing. After that my really last chance was to buy the immo and all the parts from the same car which the ECU is from. OK, I ve done that, got the stuff, replace the old ones and.... nothing.. engine not starting. :cry: There are the same errors as the ones you are describing here - loose connection, car security and of course airbag failure. I ll follow this thread with hope for some fix. Tnx all. :hug:

Last edited:
Morning all just came in from a poker tourney...
Picked the car up from Stu yesterday and expected to have to tow it the short journey to the Fiat dealer, was quite surprised it started first time and managed the whole journey.

I got out and thought to re-start it on 3 separate occasions and each time it turned over first time, didn't get a chance to leave it running as was in a rush.

But before I allow myself to think the problem is cured, I'm still going to have Fiat/Guest carry out the diag after speaking to the general manager Roger who agreed a set price of £50 inc vat. Still deciding on whether to repair and keep or part ex as is. Car has no front door cards and left front wing damage...even if I was to list it for sale I would have to be forthcoming about the problems, but that Varta battery is coming out if I sell (cost a £100 lol)

For a potential none starter minus the fact its running now, is it more economical to break to sell parts, scrap or part ex....or have an accident *cough* and reclaim as none fault lol.

She's a keeper, just needs a little TLC.

I managed to get her running after stripping out the body computer and giving everything a good clean. She ran for about 30 min no problems. Couldn't let her run any longer as I didn't have time, I was changing the discs and pads on my own car.

Not sure if the cleaning cured the problem but she's a lot healthier now than when I first saw her.

Hey Stu, the thing is if that TLC comes garage recommended it may EMP (empty my pockets) lol.

I definitely think cleaning the connectors helped, its just I don't want to add cost to the vehicle if its not economical, I love her but jus got to try and think of the best solution.

Well Shadey's bill must have been pretty astronomic with the amount of work involved, now we know where those new pads and discs came from:)

Good result guys! Wonder what was different from when you first disconnected and reconnected the BC connectors that with cleaning now work? Mind you, it only takes the slightest bit of conductive dust to provide a short circuit in there or a poor contact to become open circuit as it warms up

Hope that's it

Oh Deckchair I feel bad now, I did offer Stu some payment but this was before he did all the assessment, and when I went back I was just in a rush (Stu I definitely owe u a favour in kind) let me know how well your protected for home emergency eh lol.

As I said the car ran in the short time, its all booked in for Tuesday, its jus sittin outside the garage now awaiting the big day...included is Stu's fault codes, what they make of my beautiful monster is yet to be seen.

Stu I definitely owe u a favour in kind) let me know how well your protected for home emergency eh lol.

Its all good mate, you don't owe me anything. Hope the car gets fixed soon.

Well Shadey's bill must have been pretty astronomic with the amount of work involved, now we know where those new pads and discs came from:)

I dont charge anything, if I can help I will and for free.

He and others have offered to pay but I refuse it.

Dont do it for the money, but maybe I should. :doh: :D

Good result guys! Wonder what was different from when you first disconnected and reconnected the BC connectors that with cleaning now work? Mind you, it only takes the slightest bit of conductive dust to provide a short circuit in there or a poor contact to become open circuit as it warms up

Hope that's it

I'm not 100% that it has cured it. The fault may still be there and related to the Body Computer some how. Maybe just moving the cables a second time reconnected something? Lets hope the Fiat guys have more luck than I did.

Last edited:
Back