Right hand drive in europe - LHD countries

Currently reading:
Right hand drive in europe - LHD countries

I am planning to go to europe(driving on right side of the road :) ) and I know that i need some special(compulsory) equipment(like safety vest, first aid kit, etc..)and also that I need to cover some part of headlights with sticker(because Iam driving on the other side and lights are lighting directly to opposite cars).

You know exactly what I need to cover on my headlights ????

Don't cover them, they never do when they come here so might as well blind the gits.
As for what you need, depends on country but take a spare bulb kit, warning triangle and first aid kit definately.

just aim your lights down a bit if you have an electric knurl wheel.

TBH you should ideally just get some LHD lights of ebay.de beforehand.

If you are over there for a while they will be worthwhile.

I drove 9000miles on the wrong side of the road, and the lights just don't work!!! going round corners etc, all you get is flashed all the time and YOU will get blinded!!!! believe me german big saloon cars + HID main beam will blind you for quite a while(n)

SkinzCinqSporting said:
Don't cover them, they never do when they come here so might as well blind the gits.

If you take this advice, in some EU countries you will be off to jail quicker than anything especially in italy

You will need to have the headlight relignment sticker, a plus you will have to display a 'GB' sticker on rear of your car.

EU packs with these stickers in can be bought from halfords for little money.

You may also find it is compulsory to drive with your headlights on during the day in some EU countries

you can buy sticker kits from almost anywhere car related; tyre/exhaust garages, motorfactors, halfords, main dealers, etc. they stick on your head lights and block a section of your dipped beams that project the most light into oncoming traffic. One trick told to me is if you have fog lights, get them adjusted to the far right so that they can act as dipped beams.

You may also find it is compulsory to drive with your headlights on during the day in some EU countries

northern parts of austria where it borders with bavaria.

and its not just switserland thats full of snow and ice.
most of austria and anything remotly hilly in germany will be snow'd up by now, or at least it will over the next 4weeks. (munich/stuttgart and south).

you can get snow chains cheap in aldi or lidl.

norvay and sveden will also be ice'd up by now.

as I said earlier, get some LHD lights for the cinq and you'll be fine. fit them on ferry and jjobs a good un, you'll be legal and will be able to see:slayer:

faster4_tec said:

and its not just switserland thats full of snow and ice.
most of austria and anything remotly hilly in germany will be snow'd up by now, or at least it will over the next 4weeks. (munich/stuttgart and south).

you can get snow chains cheap in aldi or lidl.

norvay and sveden will also be ice'd up by now.

as I said earlier, get some LHD lights for the cinq and you'll be fine. fit them on ferry and jjobs a good un, you'll be legal and will be able to see:slayer:

We took snow chains to the black forest in January and never needed them, they keep the roads ploughed and gritted 24/7 despite the ground being feet deep in snow.

faster4_tec said:

...and the rest, czech republic springs to mind also as to where it is compulsory

never been to CZ so wouldn't know.

as far as I have seen, I only saw one gritter in south germany/switserland (austria has a few).
they plow roads daily, sometimes more. and if there is ice and chunks of slush and snow, or just a road full of snow, the locals just deal with it.

Depends where you go but in my experience of France if decent winter tyres can't deal with the snow then snow chains are useless you need something a lot more aggressive, like spiked tyres.

we got a hire car with snow tyres (spikes) and had to drive from frankfurt hahn airport (no where near frankfurt), to karlsruh/berg:confused: to get one without spiked tyres, then from there to stuttgart to get a car with a bit pokier engine.

fecking tosspots who don't return hirecars on time(n)

You can buy the beam converters on all ferries and then find a wall to set them up when you get off.
The ones with English instructions are RHD, and German etc, LHD.

Back