RGZ the Stilo

Currently reading:
RGZ the Stilo

Went round to Ming's on the Saturday to check out the brakes and he's put my mind at rest - nothing to worry about :)

Also, as has been mentioned before about the HG, there doesn't seem to be any development beyond what it's been doing the past number of months and thousands of miles. Having monitored the coolant and oil levels carefully, neither have changed which adds to the evidence that it's okay for now. Shall book the car in for a much needed service in the next few weeks and clean out the expansion tank and then onto sorting that slightly blowing exhaust and throttle body.

Finally, in the past few weeks (as I mentioned to Ming), there's been a gathering of water within the bootlid. When I open it after a heavy downpour, water gushes out between the lower trim and upper trim surrounding the window. I took off the lower trim, but the way the back frames attached to the skin, it's difficult to see where the water could be gathering. One theory is a seal around the number plate lighting unit. Another is through the boot key hole - something I WD40'd a few months back as it'd stopped turning, but the dust/dirt flap won't close now no matter what. Don't think that latter issue could cause this, but just listing the options. Those suggestions were offered through the Stilo section on FF by the way. Also in addition...I hate plastic clips, why couldn't Fiat just use proper nuts and bolts made of proper metal? :laugh:

muppet42 said:
One theory is a seal around the number plate lighting unit. Another is through the boot key hole

Mine did the same thing. You will most probably find it's two things.
The seal for the number plate lights is one (you'll know, the number plate lights will eventually give up) but the seal around the entire boot handle (I found) was worse than useless in that it didn't fit properly.
I removed mine and made a copy from some self adhesive 1mm neoprene sheet I happened to have lying around at the time. Result? No leaking.
I just replaced the number plate lights as they were cheap. I cleaned and stripped the wiring for the lights and the electric boot release which occasionally played up too due to the wee loch forming in the tailgate.......
Daub everything you can with either Vaseline or something similar, button it all up and you'll be fine.
BTW - the key lock on the back door would need to be replaced. Don't bother, it will cost a fortune to do so just blank it off.

H

ABZSTILO said:
Mine did the same thing. You will most probably find it's two things.
The seal for the number plate lights is one (you'll know, the number plate lights will eventually give up) but the seal around the entire boot handle (I found) was worse than useless in that it didn't fit properly.
I removed mine and made a copy from some self adhesive 1mm neoprene sheet I happened to have lying around at the time. Result? No leaking.
I just replaced the number plate lights as they were cheap. I cleaned and stripped the wiring for the lights and the electric boot release which occasionally played up too due to the wee loch forming in the tailgate.......
Daub everything you can with either Vaseline or something similar, button it all up and you'll be fine.
BTW - the key lock on the back door would need to be replaced. Don't bother, it will cost a fortune to do so just blank it off.

H

Ah, cool. I remember when I removed the whole unit and tried to get into one of the light bulbs as the screws had completely rusted I couldn't see a way of getting in behind it though maybe I wasn't looking hard enough :p If I can find a complete unit at the scrappy or eBay, I'd be more tempted to just replace parts from one to the other or something similar. Wonder if there's someway I can Tigerseal it or something.

Boot lock though, only reason I used it before was when I had the battery on charge and had no way bar folding the seats down of getting into the boot. I haven't had it flood in such a dramatic way since I partially dismantled the back panel and randomly squirted some air and wd40 in parts to solve things (couldn't have hurt after all). I wonder if, temporarily at least, I've sorted it.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a black boot and bonnet second hand off eBay and getting the roof sprayed to match. Solves practical problems as well as beginning the look I'd wanted to have for RGZ :D

Right, as mentioned on another thread, I've found a full tailgate in the same colour for RGZ. No dents, a few light marks (unfortunately on the glass as well, though they may polish out) and NO RUST, which is the main thing as I think the corrosion around the numberplate light bar was a clue as to the water getting in and working it's way into certain areas. Figure this is a cheaper option (£50) than getting a new light bar and getting the body work sorted on it, which I think lets it down.

Thankfully since it's local I don't need to pay £50 postage and it comes with the bonus of extra clips, spare wiper and motor and a new bit of window trim. Hopefully it'll be a straightforward swap, wish it'd had a spoiler on it but you can't win them all.

YcMing said:
Can you not put your spoiler on it ?

Haven't got one on mine, hence why it would've been good if this one would've had one. Most of the other tailgates on eBay have them, but they're all down south and have £50 delivery charges and no guarantee of reaching the buyer in the same condition. Plus of course I couldn't have a look at it before they sent it up.

There's a nice Schui edition (Zender) spoiler on my watch list, but that's £50 in itself. Looks okay without anyways, so no biggie :)

Service done, clutch slave cylinder needed replaced as well, as had started to go a few days after Hopetoun. Was fairly cheap all in though and was good to get a check-over pre-MOT time. Exhaust MAY be also sorted as CM discovered it was the flexi blowing and so took it to Simon's in EK.

Now, after my last run in, I didn't have a good word to say about the place BUT he took it back in and swapped out the flexi. He did imply it was my fault that it'd been damaged in the way it had been but since he didn't charge me for the replacement and for readjusting the hanging spindles on the back box, all is well :)

As mentioned in another thread, I am still a tad paranoid about it blowing. I'd taken along the gasket I was going to fit between the manifold and the main system but he didn't use it so pondering if it could still have a slight blow or if I'm still just hearing the iffy rev issue the manky TB's throwing up. Investigating in the next few days...

Also asked him about a sports cat manifold just out of curiosity (can't afford one the now anyways) and he said he didn't normally do them but did mention Meerkat (Kilbirnie) and C+C in Hillington. Did say though if I just wanted power I'd be better off with an engine conversion (thinking 1.4 of course), but hey ho...options :)

Andi_F said:
Right so is RGZ still blowing at the exhaust though Rob??
If so go to Ming's (if that's ok with Ming) on Monday (Bank holiday) I'll come over an all so you've got extra pairs of eyes....
Anything els eneeding sorted on RGZ?? apart from the Top Mount mentioned on FB?!?!

See the thing is he didn't use the gasket I'd left with him. I assume he used the POC o-ring gasket that was already there and some exhaust gum to finish it. It sounds...better...I guess than it did before but still not like it used to BUT the TB issue could be what's causing the off noise. Certainly when I looked under the car today after 30 odd miles, there wasn't any soot build-up around the bit the gasket was sat nor where the new flexi had been welded in, so it's kind of confusing me.

The top mount, well I just noticed that today going over some mohassive speed bumps. Got out and did the bounce test - nothing, so it's not the shocker. Turned the steering on the spot and sure enough, I heard the noise in question. As said on FB, I'll grease where I can and see if that helps it a bit. Nothing I can really do about it the now but may require a second opinion at some point. Shall update tomorrow, cheers for the offer as well :)

Andi_F said:
Hey while ever my Nan's here I'm wantin to get out the house.....
Anyone got any ideas on how to shut an 84yr old woman up??? she can talk for England.... seriously :earmuffs:

I coped with my Grandma by sodding off to the pub.

Although I wish I'd thought of chloroform - we had plenty in the lab too

jatkinson said:
Remember boys , Chlorofome is your best friend .... just dont let any one find out :D ......

Got some going cheap if you want it ;)

Martyn said:
Werthers Originals. They'll keep her occupied for a bit!

Especially if you add them to vodka first. let 'em melt into the alcohol and you end up with toffee vodka :laugh: It's slightly scummy looking but shake it first and you don't notice

Back