Retro Cars mag - Fiat FIRE engine tuning guide scans

Currently reading:
Retro Cars mag - Fiat FIRE engine tuning guide scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBoy

Fat pigeon... APPLE!
The October issue of Retro Cars has a useful guide to tuning the Fiat FIRE engines (the 1-litre, 1.1, 1.2 8v and 1.2 16v units found in Unos, Puntos, Cinqs, Seis). So, being the thoughtful and generous copyright fraudster that I am, I've scanned it in for all you forumers to peruse. :)

Be warned though... although I've tried to minimise the file sizes, to make sure that the text is readable and will print properly the images are still pretty big. They're all between 300KB and 450KB in size, so they may take some time to download on a 56k modem.

Click the 6 thumbnails below, then right click the image and hit "save" (y)

Images are hosted by www.imagevenue.com by the way, which seems a decent alternative to photobucket or imageshack as you get an unlimited storage period, unlimited bandwidth and there's no registration. Plus they automatically give you the forum code for the thumbnails above, which is pretty damn cool. Thought I should give 'em a plug having stuck over 2 megs of images on their server just now ;)

Stuart DemonD said:
Or just use your own Gallery space on here ;) - unlimited space as well, for donated members :p

But that eats expensive bandwidth... much better to waste someone else's don'tcha think? ;) (Plus I've posted these on other forums too!)

you want to see what richard does with jag engines.awesome.top bloke with a sence of humour :D

I tend to disagree on this. There is a lot of crap in the article.

None of the FIRE engines had pushrod operated valves/valve stems.

The 999 engine is stil in productio and was available as carburettor, SPI and even is in South America available with a 16v head churning out 70bhp.

The 16v exhaust cam is not operated by a chain. It is counter rotating driven by coggs.

No mention of the 1368 8v and 1368 16v engines.

The guy who has written this article doesn't know a lot about engine building.

To lighten the standard buckets by machining them is absolutely not advisable and would be too expensive to justify. It is much better to use lightened bucksets that are available from tuning companies.

If this is the advise in Retro cars, then I am better off with max power.

At a second thought I think I don't need either of them!

Oldschool - i suggest you go and talk a cold bath.

First of all Retro cars weren't interested in the very latest engines. I pointed out at the time that there is a newer "1400" engine but that is not their remit. It was only a matter of courtesy that they included the other more recent units.

The guy who wrote the article is a freelance journalist and merely interpreted what was said to him by Richard - as such a few mistakes have crept into the article and once it had gone to press it was too late to alter (eg. DTA EX48 instead of E48).

Richard, who provided the information on the other hand is one of the best engine builders in the country - just because you've never heard of him before doesn't reduce his ability. If you doubt his ability with the FIRE engine I would invite you to come and try the 1242 8v engined punto I've been racing all year. Failing that you could try any of the Uno/Punto turbo engines he has built (mine gives a healthy 250bhp and revs through 10000rpm should I care to push it) or perhaps you've seen one of his engines take the chequered flag at LeMans...

The pushrod engine did exist and was used for a while in early Pandas before being switched to the more common OHC version. Once more - just because you've never witnessed it with your own eyes doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Oh and by the way JB - that is partially *my* copyright you're ripping off - have a good think about it.

A very 'interesting' article - was given a copy of the mag at the wkend and have just finished reading it.

As I know nothing about the engines I cannot comment.

I can see this thread going a bit Grrrrrr

jimbro1000 said:

First of all Retro cars weren't interested in the very latest engines. I pointed out at the time that there is a newer "1400" engine but that is not their remit. It was only a matter of courtesy that they included the other more recent units.

The guy who wrote the article is a freelance journalist and merely interpreted what was said to him by Richard - as such a few mistakes have crept into the article and once it had gone to press it was too late to alter (eg. DTA EX48 instead of E48).

Richard, who provided the information on the other hand is one of the best engine builders in the country - just because you've never heard of him before doesn't reduce his ability. If you doubt his ability with the FIRE engine I would invite you to come and try the 1242 8v engined punto I've been racing all year. Failing that you could try any of the Uno/Punto turbo engines he has built (mine gives a healthy 250bhp and revs through 10000rpm should I care to push it) or perhaps you've seen one of his engines take the chequered flag at LeMans...

The pushrod engine did exist and was used for a while in early Pandas before being switched to the more common OHC version. Once more - just because you've never witnessed it with your own eyes doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Oh and by the way JB - that is partially *my* copyright you're ripping off - have a good think about it.

Possibly you don't know who you are talking to.

I have the first ever FIRE win in the 750 Class of the 750 Motor Club under my belt.

I have been working with FIRE long before Richard.

I have only about twenty FIRE engines in my work shop.

I have done a lot of development work on the FIRE

I have slshed of the Pandamonium with my work 17.146seconds per lap off at Donnington after I got the car from UAD.

I built the first 16v Cinquecento in the country.

I have designed over a dozen of induction kits for FIRE engines.

I have been involved with the cam design for these engines

I am developing maps for the FIREs.

Do you want me to continue the list?

There is a lot of stuff in this article that is not right. And I don't care who wrote the article. What I care about is the truth.

There is no FIRE engine that is being push rod operated. The pushrod engines are totally different designs. If you find me any FIRE ever that is push rod operated I donate my 16v Cinquecento.

Anything else?

As with Stu, come on guys play nicely or shall we start flopping them out and comparing sizes :)

The article may have some flaws but I say at least retor cars now see that the FIRE engines are worthy of a few pages... which can only be seen as a good thing right?

jamie86 said:
As with Stu, come on guys play nicely or shall we start flopping them out and comparing sizes :)

The article may have some flaws but I say at least retor cars now see that the FIRE engines are worthy of a few pages... which can only be seen as a good thing right?

I only responded because someone tried to tell me I have no clue about what I am talking. I am not after a fued. But I think that articles should be precise and the readers should force the writers to be accurate. If they aren't accurate, how much money might you waste just finding out long after the article, And how do you know what is true about the articles some people write. After all it is us who is paying the money.
If you rather want me and others to shut up and let people be misled tell me. I have no problem with it. But what is the point of the forum then?
Maybe I don't understand something here.

jimbro1000 said:

What class do you race in?

I know 250hp in a 1242cc 8V turbo is possible but highly unlikely for anything but a sane person, not to mention having very deep pockets.

as for the pushrod fire:nutter: :nerner: :hm: not a chance in hell!! it wasn't even the same displacement much less a fire.

I learned something once fro a few friends not long ago, "only say what you know, if you don't know; shut up!!"

This is not supposed to put anyone down just stating the obvious;)

jimbro1000 said:

Yeah JB, go and sit in the corner facing the wall and have a good long think about what you have done :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back