Retro Cars mag - Fiat FIRE engine tuning guide scans

Currently reading:
Retro Cars mag - Fiat FIRE engine tuning guide scans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point fully and exactly where you are coming from...

But I was simply trying to stop this thread which could be very inmformative from turning into a slagging match and it gettin locked... :)

P.S I also noticed a few things wrong when I bought the mag but there is some useful stuff in there..

Also since when have the press ever got anything correct :D

oldschool - just figured out who you are and I still stand by what I said.

The really, really amusing bit is I even phoned Rob and asked for his advice and for a couple of suggestions while preparing for the article.

As you *well* know that FIRE refers to a process not a particular construction but most people only consider this to be the common 999, 1108 and 1242 engines. Not many have seen the larger 1400 yet. If you want to get really techinical I could argue that the later sohc turbo petrol engines were actually FIRE engines as well since they underwent the same process.

I also know about your rather well documented feud with Richard and personally I want nothing to do with that - it is entirely up to you how that is percieved and persued. Given that you are very well aware of Richard's history though I find it strange that the first thing you would say is that he knows nothing about building engines - or even imply it.

I'm all for making sure any such document is as accurate as possible and I can only apologise for the errors - I did all I could to ensure such things did not happen but ultimately I was just there to help on the day.

No idea where I would find a fire pushrod now but if I do ever find one I will deliver it giftwrapped to your doorstep, free of charge.

smokeme said:
What class do you race in?

I know 250hp in a 1242cc 8V turbo is possible but highly unlikely for anything but a sane person, not to mention having very deep pockets.

as for the pushrod fire:nutter: :nerner: :hm: not a chance in hell!! it wasn't even the same displacement much less a fire.

I learned something once fro a few friends not long ago, "only say what you know, if you don't know; shut up!!"

This is not supposed to put anyone down just stating the obvious;)

I thought I was the one making all the mistakes today?
250bhp from a 1400 SOHC turbo engine (out of a uno turbo) is quite feasible and is actually quite pessimistic. I could have had much, much more but there is nothing to be gained (other than a dyno graph) in going there.

I said said it to oldschool but I'll repeat it for you here - FIRE is not a design it is a process. The pushrod engine used in the early panda was built using the same process. Just because it bears little physical resemblance to the later 999cc sohc does not change the fact that it was a FIRE engine.

I guess we're going to be here all day arguing this last point so can we agree to disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back