Hello All - check out >>
Newbie Central :
Jonny Abarth .....Hello everyone at FF

I had the same problems .. What a nightmare!!!! :mad:
The car has been off the road since Boxing Day!!! :mad:
HO! Bloody HO! Merry Chritsmas!!!
I will keep you all updated

Todays episode
I contacted my local Fiat dealer who was welll aware of the recall due to broken springs on some Stilos, He was more than happy to carry out the recall work fittng the "broken spring catcher bucket" but in no way will they replace or fit the broken spring FOC, I asked if the replacement spring was a modified or improved version of the obviously defective original? The answer to this was that he had no info from Fiat regarding this question.

I do not want (let alone pay for) another defective coil spring even if partly surrounded by a poor catcher device as this still has obvious failings (See pics from Johnny Arbarth in Newbie Section) My family and myself would have no confidence travelling in a motor car with obvious known defective suspinsion parts.

I have contacted Fiat Customer Services and registered my complaint and was informed that I should have my Stilo repaired by the dealer and keep all receipts as there is a chance that my claim may be settled at a much later date, again I was given no reasurance that these defective springs had been improved or modified.

I have purchased replacement springs from a local motor factor and will fit these tomorrow, as in no circumstances will I risk fitting defective original Fiat equipment, I will also take various pics etc and seek advice regarding reporting this to VOSA etc

One other point is,
if these defective springs are now supposed to be caught in the catcher device when a break/fracture occurs, then possibly drivers will be un aware of the very serious suspension fault until a hard cornering or heavy breaking manouvre is required e.g. emergency stopping on bend or avoiding action etc, both these examples are when a good , effective, stable suspension system is required most.

Do you guys want to be driving around with this type of defective suspension equipment & remedial bodge fitted to yous car? - I certainly do not.

The point was not the make of car Phil it was the nature of the recall,road salt.

Please ! Please ! These breaking coil springs are definately NOT caused buy road salt, Just because another vehicle manufacturer used this reason/excuse does not justify any other to jump on the band wagon.

If the proctective coating surrounding the fracture is intact with no sign of corrosion then how the hell could grit or salt be the cause ?

Corrosion has to have taken place if this is contributary or cause of failure

Please ! Please ! These breaking coil springs are definately NOT caused buy road salt,
If the proctective coating surrounding the fracture is intact with no sign of corrosion then how the hell could grit or salt be the cause ?

I was hoping you might have some constructive views on this as you now have first hand evidence?

Remember you need to explain why the recall only affects the UK.

BTW quite a few members have had both front springs replaced FOC by dealers so it’s worth being persistent :)

Please ! Please ! These breaking coil springs are definately NOT caused buy road salt, Just because another vehicle manufacturer used this reason/excuse does not justify any other to jump on the band wagon.

If you read back throughtout this thread you will see many mentions of corrosion,I done some background searching this and found that similar problems have been reported by other manfactuers from different parts of the world...strangely enough none from 'warm climates'.

Now you can draw your own conclusions from this but as a member of this forum I have the right to bring in outside information to add to the debate if it is relevent (which I believe it is),this information is not conclusive but is worthy of taking into account,no report of corrosion was found on said broken springs in the report and is not as you stated 'jumping on the bandwagon'!

Wether corrosion is the true cause of these springs breaking or not is still up for debate,I can only go on what I see and the last broken stilo spring I saw did show signs of corrosion,again wether this was the cause or not I personally would not like to say & likewise I would also not like to 'speculate' on the cause of your spring failure.Also please note I was not refering to your posting but in general to the rest of the thread.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the spring snapping but isn't it the case that the lower spring retaining cup is the item that corrodes
spring mod drwg 1.jpg

Lower cup shown here
After all, being horizontal, it's in a prime position to hold water and salt residue and when it corrodes enough the spring breaks through it on one side. It goes on a major tilt as it's not being secured squarely any more and it's the explosive force of the spring suddenly releasing and colliding with the damper perhaps or just that it's no longer being held properly straight and square that makes it break always in the same place?

Really nothing to do with corrosion of the actual spring?
Fiat says its corrosion which causes the spring to snap but maybe it's not corrosion to the spring itself

Just asking, as I have no idea apart from a difficulty in believing that corrosion of the actual spring causes it to break

If it IS corrosion of the lower securing cup then the mod would actually stop the spring getting past the lower cup and therefore stop the spring breaking and the securing fingers would prevent a broken spring contacting the tyre if it did

Just my opinion- over here in the bunker- tin hat on- coffee flask out:)

Last edited:
there are no signs of rust on my springs but my spring cup is very rusty I've coated it in grease to stop creaking noises anyway so that may help towards stopping it rusting even more but it maybe too late :(

If it breaks it breaks, it'll just mean I can get some eibach springs then :D

Last edited:
Honestly dont know Decks,spring I say was broke about 5-6inches from bottom.Maybe a coincidence (afterall springs break) and I dont know background behind it as I was just walking post another tech (being nosey:rolleyes: ) as he was doing it.Phils broke at the top...adding more mystery to it all.

If the recall mod is to prevent the bottom cap from collapse after corrosion then there is merit in the repair, however most of the threads on this subject state springs breaking and not strut cap failure.

I am not familiar with the process of vehicle recalls but I am sure there is a fairly hefty chunk of governmental pressure put on vehicle manufacturers from the VOSA (formerly Vehicle Inspectorate) following potential safety related vehicle defects, I truly believe that the UK has some of the highest vehicle safety standards in Europe and possibly futher afield (US), so I assume wrongly, or rightly that the Vosa Engineers & Associated organisation impose far more stringent monitoring and remedial action on vehicle maunfacturers, this is why it seems the UK is only affected - and as you stated - "No reported signs of corrosion was found on broken springs" you did`nt mention bottom cap corrosion either!!!!

What other colder climate countries have recalled the Stilo then??
In fact - did any other countries recall the Stilo??

Looks like we are back to the UK safety standards again!

Would be very interesting if we were told of how many replacement Stilo coil springs Fiat sold in each country compared to the percentage of Stilo`s registered/sold there.The truth lies with Fiat -does it not?

If the recall mod is to prevent the bottom cap from collapse after corrosion then there is merit in the repair, however most of the threads on this subject state springs breaking and not strut cap failure.
I think if the support cup gives way and the spring breaks loose, then everything is out of line and the spring breaks because of it. Or, the cup gets so rusty that the spring can't turn in it and the spring winds up so much when you steer that it breaks

Well, that's my theory for tonight and I'm off to dream about being upside down in the fast lane tomorrow :eek:

Last edited:
Honestly dont know Decks,spring I say was broke about 5-6inches from bottom.Maybe a coincidence (afterall springs break) and I dont know background behind it as I was just walking post another tech (being nosey:rolleyes: ) as he was doing it.Phils broke at the top...adding more mystery to it all.

Correction ..it was two coils from the bottom see post No7 :)

I think if the support cup gives way and the spring breaks loose, then everything is out of line and the spring breaks because of it. Or, the cup gets so rusty that the spring can't turn in it and the spring winds up so much when you steer that it breaks

Well, that's my theory for tonight and I'm off to dream about being upside down in the fast lane tomorrow :eek:

Well sorry to burst your balloon Decks both springs replaced and both shocks reused and no sign of corrosion on either :) hope you dont have a sleepless night because of that one ;)

Thanks for the support PNL - seems every time a reason for the spring failure is given, some kind chap finds another part of suspension to blame, wait for a while it will be salt on the road causing incorrect headlamp aim next.

On the spring recall what changed on cars after chassis no 00644197?Have Fiat changed the type of spring?
I also don't think that road salt is the problem.

Best wishes for the New Year to all forum members.

Or, the cup gets so rusty that the spring can't turn in it and the spring winds up so much when you steer that it breaks
I find this idea very interesting as it would explain why only (according to Fiat and our own poll for what it's worth) the UK is a problem - being due to RHD vs LHD roundabouts (no that's not supposed to be a joke!)

In fact on that basis, you don't even need to argue that the cup becomes corroded - it only has to be badly designed from the outset. Fiat would obviously have exhaustively tested their design before production but is it just possible they overlooked use in RHD countries?

As I log into many of the fiat forums all around the world I will now be placing a thread in all their stilo sections for this problem I will let you all know their opinions when I have their responses :)

Last edited:
I'd love to see some photos of a typical broken spring and suspension otherwise it's plain guess work. (I'll probably have first hand experience soon as I'm still running on original suspension)

It's worth noting that the springs are wildly different throughout the Stilo range which I didn't expect. It even seems to be a different spring part no. for a 1.6 without air con and a 1.6 with air con! Very odd

I'm having a tyre fitted tomorrow so I'll have a good look around at the suspension whilst it's jacked up

Difficult to believe your suspension lower cup wasn't corroded Phil, you do live in South Wales don't you? :~)

Back