Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Currently reading:
Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Re: Suspension recal letter arrived today!

Took mine in for recall. What was supposed to be a mod turned into a repair. The wheel was taken off and the spring that hadn't already been replaced was found to be broken. Guess what! No springs in stock! Fortunately a loan car was available and I had my driving licence.
Asked the guy on the service desk as to what he thought of the mod and he just looked at me and said I can't comment. This was on the 02 1.6. The day before my selespeed had been done and I enquired about suspension upgrade and was told that the Abarth already had the upgraded suspension, no mention of the GP. Ah well!

Following on from what T says, my parents were looking at getting a new BMW, and I stumbled across these little doozies:

NEW BMW E46 3 SERIES
BRAKE PEDAL TO SERVO LINK SECURING CLIP MAY NOT HAVE BEEN FITTED PROPERLY
The connection between the brake pedal and the brake servo is secured by a clip. If this clip is not fitted properly this connection could become loose, depending on the frequency and intensity of the load on the brake pedal. Should this happen, it is no longer possible to brake.

And then this one:
REAR SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING MAY FAIL
It has been identified that the lower rubber mounting on the metal bush of the rear shock absorbers may fail to meet the quality requirement. Dependant on the mileage and operating conditions the rubber mounting may come completely free from the shock absorber. If this occurs the bodywork would no longer be supported above the wheels, causing it to come into contact with the wheel concerned. Should this occur the possibility exists that a critical driving condition might occur or even the risk of an accident.

So, after prospectively shelling out £18000+ on a 3 or 5 series, it looks as though they're no much better than our Stilo.

So stop moaning!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:p

Last edited:

Took mine in for recall. What was supposed to be a mod turned into a repair. The wheel was taken off and the spring that hadn't already been replaced was found to be broken.
When I first read your post I thought you were going to be the first person to report a failure of a replacement spring :eek: but then I realized you'd said 'hadn't instead of 'had' :)

Rather surprised you didn't insist on having two new springs when the 1st one failed :confused:

When I first read your post I thought you were going to be the first person to report a failure of a replacement spring :eek: but then I realized you'd said 'hadn't instead of 'had' :)

Rather surprised you didn't insist on having two new springs when the 1st one failed :confused:
yes two should have been fitted for saftey and so the the suspension will be of even height thats fiat again cutting corners :rolleyes: ended up they had to change it anyway :slayer:

I have also been out my garage and found the strut that I replaced after the people carrier made love to it and the spring lower carrier/cup is spotless and not bent or twisted in any way and when Nathan comes in I will get him to take a pic and then I will post that up [hope fully] :rolleyes: what a great day to be spending my birthday :D yes I'm 58 today and Decks thinks He's OLD sheesh :D

what a great day to be spending my birthday :D yes I'm 58 today and Decks thinks He's OLD sheesh :D

WELL....................HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

From one oldie to another, just take it in your stride fellah, and note my tag!

thanxs 4 that olly, will look in 2 it. Do u use your MW 4 towing?

Only a small trailer but I found the suspension very soft on the rear, as soon as you put any load in the back it was on the bump stops and mud flaps hitting the ground.

Stilo Recall... Finally!

Just to let you know i have just this morning received a recall letter about the springs.

Im the second owner so they probably went through the dvla... to find me.

Anyways gonna book it in, and get it done... even if it does look a little ugly under the wheel arches.

Any body got an idea how long it takes to do... would be good if they did it while i waited.

Cheers

Kristian

Re: Stilo Recall... Finally!

Me too, postie brought me my notice today. 45 minutes gives me time for test drive in the 100HP then... :)

Got mine yesterday will phone today to book in.I'am still not happy that this is a proper solution to the problem and still think that the springs are at fault due to bad manufacturing and or materials and not road salt.

got mine the other day too, bit of a bitch really, replaced them myself with some gmax's the other, cud of had a decent pair to sell oh well!! you live n learn! :bang:

Got my letter yesterday, 4 weeks too late. Spring broke on boxing day wrecking the tyre. On the bright side we were going to the mother in laws !
As I had seen the posts on here some time ago I should have sorted it before the breakage happened.
The spring looked in fine order (apart from the break of course), in fact we thought it looked no more than a year old, but as I've only had the (2002) car 6 months I don't know the history.

Moral of this story, get the job done now, don't wait for the letter and possibly save the cost of a new tyre.

I have had my letter from fiat this morning about this bodge and I will be sending them a very nastey email telling them where they can stick it because I have fitted to my car new springs top mounts and bearings that they didnt honour or pay me or the dealer for the spring they fitted :tosser:

Back