Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Currently reading:
Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

rroope said:
Recall done to both Stilos, but the inspection they did came up with Front Pads low, Front Discs worn, Rear Pads low - ah well :chin:

Time to get the tool kit out then Rich :)

By the way folks... with all the freezing fog we have had locally lately front springs have been creaking loudly on low speed manouvering round car parks (while winding lock on and off) :eek: anybody else noticed that on theirs post recall mod?

I have noticed more banging I must admit. I'm thinking of taking the brackets off and painting them in a toughened black paint, no doubt they'll go bright rust orange in a few weeks . . .

I have noticed more banging I must admit. I'm thinking of taking the brackets off and painting them in a toughened black paint, no doubt they'll go bright rust orange in a few weeks . . .
Lol :D Just asked as the creaking strikes me as being louder than the usual dry suspension creaking of the 1.6 in prolonged hot weather... probably wouldnt have noticed except for stereo being off to allow for max. concentration with recent freezing fog epidemic locally :yuck:

I have just stumbled across this forum after trying to find information regarding Stilo Front Coil Springs.

Earlier today I was travelling at approx 30 mph when I heard a rubbing noise accompanied by a metallic clang, after stopping immeadiately I found a piece of coil spring in the road. Inspection of the car revealed the offside front spring broken with the sharp remains in contact with the inner edge of the tyre sidewall. recovery of the Stilo home was the only option as to drive futher would be very dangerous.

I had my two childern in the Stilo 1.9JTD and had this happened at 70mph then a catastrophic accident could well have been possible causing sarious injury and possiblty death to my children and myself, not to mention the danger to other road users.

I was quite pleased with the style and performance of the 1.9 JTD Stilo but after coming acrosss this forum with the countless coil spring failure problems and a somewhat "heath robinson coil spring catcher remedy" that seem very poorly thought out I am now very concerned for my family and other Stilo drivers.

I have only recently bought this 02 Stilo and the prievious owner was a disabled old dear, so the possibility of suspension abuse is extremely unlikely.

As for the salt or grit on the uk roads being the cause of coil spring failure where the fracture is still covered by original painted coating would not be a statement from any automotive engineer i have ever met.

The local Fiat dealer will be contacted for recomendations etc but i hold out little hope of a satisfactory outcome from what I read on this forum.

Last edited:
hello all, just to sum up ,are we of the opinion that aftermarket springs will solve this? what i mean is, is it just the spring that is faulty, cause this seems a bit too dangerous to mess about with flippin spring catchers....anyone?

hello all, just to sum up ,are we of the opinion that aftermarket springs will solve this? what i mean is, is it just the spring that is faulty, cause this seems a bit too dangerous to mess about with flippin spring catchers....anyone?

In my Opinion yes its the safest way to go FK suspension actually do a sports shock that's cheaper than standard fiat shock £70 odd each now I know what your all thinking he is prejudice against fiat parts ..well actually I'm not if they do the job correctly then I wouldn't change them ..and I actually like the suspension at standard height as it gives the car extra ride comfort and drive-ability over speed bumps but if they don't do the job they are design for then what other choice do we owners have for piece of mind and safety the bracket thats been supplied also I dont think is worth a light (n) see post in newbie section from Jonny abarth :)

The general opinion is that after market springs will solve this issue (which means you can forget about the recall too).

As for Fiat replacement springs then I think the jury is still out although no one, that I know of, has reported a failure yet.

As for the salt or grit on the uk roads being the cause of coil spring failure where the fracture is still covered by original painted coating would not be a statement from any automotive engineer i have ever met.
Interesting point :chin:

Any chance you kept the broken coil as a close-up of the break would be interesting.

Last edited:
any recommendations for springs anyone? i dont want to lower it too much if i can help it, ive got a five door , and i dont want too much of a bumpy ride, any ideas?.......

Interesting point :chin:

Any chance you kept the broken coil as a close-up of the break would be interesting.

I have the broken piece, approx the last 3/4 broken off the bottom coil, absolutely no signs of corrosion either externally or across the fracture surface, when I have the remaining section off the car, I will then attach pics, Also when returning to work I will investigate to see if these parts can be analised for fatigue etc, also I will contact VOSA to report this as a very dangerous fault, with possibilities of serious accident in the future.

I will keep you all informed as I am a Qualifeid Motor Vehicle Engineer & a Member of Institute of Road Transport Engineers who`s opinion I shal also seek.

Regards and Safe Happy New Year To All

Mark V

Hallelujah thank god someone thinks the same as me and some of the others on here and hop fully some thing will be done about this at last (y) in my 40 years of driving and ownership of many makes and models on cars and vans this is the only instance of spring breakage I have suffered and honestly believe that this is bad design and metal fatigue causing it and fiat should pay up to every owner that have suffered this problem with the stilo also I think they should be made to redesign the springs and front struts or pay for a replacement aftermarket option to any owner that wishes to go in that direction ..good luck with the analysis hopfully it WILL prove what we always suspected (y)

I will keep you all informed as I am a Qualifeid Motor Vehicle Engineer & a Member of Institute of Road Transport Engineers who`s opinion I shal also seek.
Mark, That's excellent (y) I largely agree with PNL about this and think a definitive explanation and solution needs to be provided.

The basic ideas so far seem to be:

1. Problem is caused by corrosion which is unique to the UK. This is Fiats version.
  2. Problem is caused by strut design which generates extreme rotational stress to bottom end of the spring. This could mean that replacement springs are also at risk although not one, that I know of, has been reported.
  3. Basic design failure of the springs (over stressed etc)
  4. Manufacturing defect.
Since this recall is, as far as I know, only for the UK then we must assume this has a direct bearing on the cause. Either that or Fiat are trying to cover up failures in other countries but if they are then it begs the question how on earth they can ignore failures in their home country.

Like you, I really like my Stilo and think it's great pity this issue can't be resolved entirely honestly instead of what looks, like many, to be a half baked solution on a budget :(

Mark, That's excellent (y) I largely agree with PNL about this and think a definitive explanation and solution needs to be provided.

The basic ideas so far seem to be:
  1. Problem is caused by corrosion which is unique to the UK. This is Fiats version.
  2. Problem is caused by strut design which generates extreme rotational stress to bottom end of the spring. This could mean that replacement springs are also at risk although not one, that I know of, has been reported.
  3. Basic design failure of the springs (over stressed etc)
  4. Manufacturing defect.
Since this recall is, as far as I know, only for the UK then we must assume this has a direct bearing on the cause. Either that or Fiat are trying to cover up failures in other countries but if they are then it begs the question how on earth they can ignore failures in their home country.

Like you, I really like my Stilo and think it's great pity this issue can't be resolved entirely honestly instead of what looks, like many, to be a half baked solution on a budget :(

:yeahthat: and thanks for your faith rational thinking and support Jason (y)

Ford issued a recall for the focus in north America for salt corrosion on front springs(fracturing)...2002 I think it was.

You know I have the greatest repect for you but I couldnt care less what happens to fords but I am with mine and other stilo/fiat car owners (y)

Back