Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Currently reading:
Technical RECALL: Service Solution for Suspension Springs

Re: Suspension recal letter arrived today!

Hi, got mine today as well. Does this mean that I can now go back to Fiat and request cost for the tyre that was 3 days old when the spring failed and killed it? Fiat dealership were very courteous in their refusal to take this up

Deckchair5 said:
Well said that man! That's the safest way to go:)

Nice to see that you agree Decks I thought I might have become a social out cast suggesting that we dont use OE springs on our cars :) and geoff if you want any links for aftermarket or hand made springs made to your spec then just ask we can help you (y)

If you look through the Bravo forums which have a very similar front suspension set up to the Stilo then you don't see anyone with broken springs. Not one. Funny that! They must be driving around the puddles of "salt water" that Stilo drivers are encountering which is "corroding the springs" so much that they break.

They all break in the same place too, two coils up from the bottom. Not a design fault though

Mind you i had to replace both Bravo front shockers within 6k miles as they were leaking, as were many other Bravo owners cars too so that wasn't a "design fault" either. Ahem!

Still, both problems will only show up after some significant mileage in wet and dirty conditions. Fiat could test around a test track for 100k miles and never see a problem

Last edited:

:mad: Got my recall letter this morning! I'm worried now as I thought only petrol vehicles were affected and mines a JTD.
Surely if the springs break due to 'roads being salted' they should be changed as well........not just fit some clips to prevent tyre damage, what happens if the spring breaks on a motorway!!!!!!!!!!!!

Car might have to go or have after market springs fitted......loosing confidence in it now.........maybe Fiat trying to do a cheap job!(n)

Looks like more time off work and another 60-70 mile trip to get it fixed, and thats when I locate a Stealer I can trust......only had it serviced three weeks ago at main agent and the cocked that up, waiting for my bill to be 'recalculated'

Last edited:
:bang: Just seen picture of modification on page six, what an abortion that looks......and thats a manufacturer job.......could do better myself!!!!!!(n)

Sid said:
:bang: Just seen picture of modification on page six, what an abortion that looks......and that's a manufacturer job.......could do better myself!!!!!!(n)

Great minds think alike so it seems but some people are happy to put up with crap that fiat throw at them well I'm not one of them and will always speak my mind on the subject and use after market springs shocks and any part necessary to over come the crap design faults that fiat have inbuilt into the stilo forward and not backwards is my motto :)

dan-the-man said:
just take it to any old fiat dealer, it doesn't cost you anything and it's an easy enough job so they can't really cock it up.

You want to put some money on that one Dan :D

:confused: What date was this 'modification' announced? my car in at Fiat Main Stealers on 19th October the date of the first post about it! and no mention of any recall then...........mind you they couldn't even manage to get the service right.....36.000 service, anti freeze and brake fluid changed and it had to go to another garage the week after due to rear brakes squeaking after a couple of miles........Guess what?? rear brake pads and o/s piston seized up and only 6k left on them, Still waiting for the amended bill!

*ankers!!!!!!!:bang:

Hi I'am fairly new on the forum and have been reading back through the old posts.The problem with front spring braking is a major concern and recent posts show this is still on going could anyone clarify some points?
1)When a spring is replaced by Fiat is it the same type or a "new"type?
2)If one goes is only 1 replaced?
3)Has anyone to the forums knowledge being injured or killed due to spring failure?
4)It would seem that Fiat are doing the bare minimum to sort out/cure this problem.
5)Would it be worth forum Stilo owners/drivers sending a letter to Fiat saying how unhappy they are with the present service and copying this to Trading Standerds.Also pointing out that senior Fiat people could be on manslaughter charges should some one be killed due to a known fault on the car?
Sorry about length of post.

Jazzman

I've been told by Fiat that the spring is not the issue. It's the spring cup which is faulty. The cup can fail and bend out of shape, causing the spring to break. This happened to me about a year ago. I originally thought that the spring had broken and bent the cup but actually the cup had bent which caused the spring to slip down a couple of coils and then break. When you take your car to Fiat they won't replace either of the springs. They bolt supporting brackets on to the strut under the original cups. My car had the supporting brackets fitted about a month ago. I'm now looking at replacing the struts and springs myself. Hope this helps!

Cheers

Darren

Mine came today. Well actually yesterday as it was recorded delivery and I wasn't in to sign for it.

I wasted time going to the depot to sign for what is basically a copout by Fiat****s. Salt my arse, incompetence and low grade materials. With a mentality like this why would I want to take it to a dealer for a heath robinson bodge job. I seen ChromeGreys brackets and it's a total fcuk up.

Thank god for Eibachs.

I mentioned this to the service manager at my local dealership [they know I have Eibachs on already] BUT he basically said forget it, not worth bringing the car in for it.

Stuart DemonD said:
I mentioned this to the service manager at my local dealership [they know I have Eibachs on already] BUT he basically said forget it, not worth bringing the car in for it.
Hi Stu, the cups are there to catch low grade springs. Eibachs are less likely to fail so that's reason to not bother.

Stuart DemonD said:
True, but he seemed to imply that the modification itself was crap, whether I had uprated or not.

As they say in court "I rest my case M'lord" :rolleyes:

Re: Stilo spring recall

My repair and recall work was carried out FOC to me - and rightly so I believe.

Arbarth

Just got the letter today here in Republic of Ireland.

Wording of the first paragraph is slightly different to that on page 1 of this thread:

"On a batch of Fiat STILO cars, including the one you purchased, while circulating in environmental conditions requiring extensive use of salt on the roads, there is the possibility over time of breakage of the front spring. In order to prevent tyre damage should a spring break, an assistance solution has been defined".

Back