Technical Rear suspension bump stops.

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension bump stops.

Rogereld

I have a left side rear coil spring with a bump stop "resting" inside it. The right hand rear bump stop has completely disappeared. Is this a common Panda 100hp problem?

IMG_6984 (1).jpg
IMG_6983 (1).jpg

Fairly common. You should replace with correct 100hp ones.

Both your turrets seem OK, so fairly simple to replace them. Not unknown for the bottom of the turret to fail, requiring welding to fix.

As per @irc

Febi quality does not look good
Original Birth looks better but I haven't tried

As per @irc

Febi quality does not look good
Original Birth looks better but I haven't tried

Original Birth working well on mine.
Did have new-old-stock genuine ones but they both fell out after about 18 months.

On my 100HP, I used Fiat 500 rear springs (softer) and Fiat coupe bump stops. I also fitted spring top rubbers to the spring bottoms. That avoids so much rubbing on the spring pans and evens up the ride height. Result was more compliant ride less skipping over bumps at the costs of slightly more body roll. Everything is a compromise.

Thank you for the very helpful link to the recent "rear shocks upgrade" thread. My apologies for being new to this forum and not fully up to speed on finding the information myself. I will have to take a good look at jacking points. I would normally use a trolley jack at or near the specified jacking point to lift the car so I can place an axle stand under the car. As I want to leave the suspension spring free to work on I will have to take a good look at the best point for axle stands. I may want to get a bit of paint on the spring trays at the same time as they are looking a bit rusty on the surface.

I am looking online to order a couple of bump stops. I have read previous comments advising I ensure I get the correct ones for a 2010 Panda 100HP, and some other comments suggesting alternative suspension modifications. For now I want to keep to the original suspension setup.

I have read comments suggesting recent Febi stops are very difficult to fit. I have found Original Birth stops listed for the Panda 100HP but only specified for MkII dates up to 2009. S4P do not include the later MkIII Panda in their drop down list. The Febi and Original Birth bump stops both look different to the one I have hanging loose inside a rear spring. I am preparing to order the Original Birth Bump Stops from Shop4parts but as they do not look the same as the one on the car, and following previous cautions about ensuring I get the correct ones I am seeking some advice.

Are these the correct ones?
S4P8572 Rear Bump Stop

Thank you for the very helpful link to the recent "rear shocks upgrade" thread. My apologies for being new to this forum and not fully up to speed on finding the information myself. I will have to take a good look at jacking points. I would normally use a trolley jack at or near the specified jacking point to lift the car so I can place an axle stand under the car. As I want to leave the suspension spring free to work on I will have to take a good look at the best point for axle stands. I may want to get a bit of paint on the spring trays at the same time as they are looking a bit rusty on the surface.

I am looking online to order a couple of bump stops. I have read previous comments advising I ensure I get the correct ones for a 2010 Panda 100HP, and some other comments suggesting alternative suspension modifications. For now I want to keep to the original suspension setup.

I have read comments suggesting recent Febi stops are very difficult to fit. I have found Original Birth stops listed for the Panda 100HP but only specified for MkII dates up to 2009. S4P do not include the later MkIII Panda in their drop down list. The Febi and Original Birth bump stops both look different to the one I have hanging loose inside a rear spring. I am preparing to order the Original Birth Bump Stops from Shop4parts but as they do not look the same as the one on the car, and following previous cautions about ensuring I get the correct ones I am seeking some advice.

Are these the correct ones?
S4P8572 Rear Bump Stop
I don't have a difinative answer

I don't have an electronic part catalogue that includes the 100HP

The suspension was slightly tweeked around 2007 I don"t know exactly what was changed apart for the spring rates

As far as I know the rubber buffer as fiat call it is the same on all none 4x4 and is a critical part of the suspention, unlike most suspension the rubber buffers act as a spring assister when the car is fully loaded.

I would phone shop4parts they are very knowledgeable

I don't have a difinative answer

I don't have an electronic part catalogue that includes the 100HP

The suspension was slightly tweeked around 2007 I don"t know exactly what was changed apart for the spring rates

As far as I know the rubber buffer as fiat call it is the same on all none 4x4 and is a critical part of the suspention, unlike most suspension the rubber buffers act as a spring assister when the car is fully loaded.

I would phone shop4parts they are very knowledgeable
Phone number took a bit of finding. Not listed on the S4P website but some googling and a quick look at photos on street map helped me find a phone number for GGB motor factors (Incorporating Shop4parts).

I have been told the OEM part number for a 2010 Panda 100HP bump stop is 51771464.
S4P would need to special order OEM number 51771464 from Fiat at a cost of £81.53 inc VAT each.
To replace both stops from Fiat would cost £163 inc VAT.

The Original Birth item listed on the S4P website is linked to OEM part number 51811829.
To replace both stops with the Original Birth version from S4P would cost £31 inc VAT.

Some websites indicate the cheaper option is suitable for cars only up to 2009, and list nothing for 2010. Does anyone know what changed in the rear suspension of the Panda 100HP between 2009 and 2010?

Mines an 07, but used that part number.
Been looking back for purchase info but not found yet. This makes me suspicious that I had to buy from a European supplier directly.
If so it was probably Augustin in Germany. They usually have the wierder stuff in stock.

I used fiat coupe stops from Febi and had no issues Coupe stops allow a fraction more suspemsion tavel and vastly improved the ride on out uneven Norfolk roads. I sprayed the nipple end on the stops with halfords silicon spray and they pushed on reasonably easily. I found the genuine bumpstops took such a pounding they only lasted 12 nonths at best.

An ebay search for 51771464 came up with a listing from the Augustin group. Cost for one item = £30.86 plus £17.90 delivery. (Total £48.76).

Maker listed as Malo, with "Akron 146321" stamped on the rubber and looking similar to the one I have on the car. Unfortunately it appears to be unsuitable as there is a Bold block capital warning stating that it fits only left hand drive vehicles! Why would there be different components for right hand drive?

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 8.40.30 pm.png

Last edited:
I still can't find the paperwork for my replacement bump stops, but my son's 56 plate 100hp had ORIGINAL IMPERIUM 25866 bump stops fitted about three years ago.
They are still going, so outlasted my Genuine FIAT ones that had been on a shelf for at least 5 years before they got fitted.
However the cross-reference part number shows as 50706353.

I still can't find the paperwork for my replacement bump stops, but my son's 56 plate 100hp had ORIGINAL IMPERIUM 25866 bump stops fitted about three years ago.
They are still going, so outlasted my Genuine FIAT ones that had been on a shelf for at least 5 years before they got fitted.
However the cross-reference part number shows as 50706353.
50706353 looks correct alternative

I can find them in Italy labeled for the 100HP for €16
19498564_1_b.jpg

Where are you finding 50706353 for 16 euros? Best I can see is for 35 euros in Greece.

Should be able to match locally but I am losing the will to search

Strangely Poland and Italy ebay does not have

I will have to take a good look at jacking points. I would normally use a trolley jack at or near the specified jacking point to lift the car so I can place an axle stand under the car. As I want to leave the suspension spring free to work on I will have to take a good look at the best point for axle stands.
I think I got this advice from @jrkitching: I use a trolley jack with a block of wood under this reinforced section of the body, then place axle stands at the indicated jacking points on the sills, with wooden battens to spread the load and clear the seam.
01.jpg

I then use the trolley jack with a longish piece of timber to lift the beam slightly to remove the lower shocker bolts. I wouldn't want to jack up the weight of the car on the rear beam though - there are rumours this can bend it.
rear axle 10.jpg

Back