Quick traffic offence question

Currently reading:
Quick traffic offence question

There is a difference between the Google images and Middleton Road in Blackley, namely marked parking bays.

I think the OP is fairly safe from Penalty Points, despite him not posting the Offence Code. I've hung onto this titbit out of mischief, but essentially you can't issue an Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice to a vehicle, only the driver. So on that basis it'll be just a £50 FPN

Even if its on a zigzag at a pedestrian crossing?:confused:
Correct. If a Cop or TPCSO comes across a car on zig-zags or double white lines he/she should wait for the return of the driver and then speak to him/her in order to find out if the car is theirs and if the driver left the vehicle in that position.

If they did leave it there then it needs to be established if the driver has any points on their licence. If they have, and they have 9 or more, then the matter will be referred up the ladder for summons as this offence would ban them. The same would apply for a new driver who has 3 or more points.

You can't just leave an Endorsable FPN on a car and walk away. If the driver doesn't return then either authorisation could be sought to have it removed, or details made in the Officer's pocket book in order to go down the Sec 172 and NIP route.

Because there's always the possibility that the driver is waiting somewhere out of sight for the Officer to leave, a PNC check will be carried out on the car and the registered keeper. There's always the possibility it doesn't have a keeper in which case it's likely to get lifted anyway.

HI, sorry I not been back on sooner. Tend to only use my phone for internet now so not been on here.
I am waiting for the letter now to tell me what the 'punishment' is. they only asked who the driver was so far and I don't remember a code being on it.
It did say gmp doesn't currently offer courses for this offence.
And yes I was on the kerb and not between them, its also plenty wide to have both doors open and not come close to the traffic

HI, sorry I not been back on sooner. Tend to only use my phone for internet now so not been on here.
I am waiting for the letter now to tell me what the 'punishment' is. they only asked who the driver was so far and I don't remember a code being on it.
It did say gmp doesn't currently offer courses for this offence.
That pretty much settles it then. Courses are only offered for endorsable offences so it'll be a 50 Quidder.

Chill out and wait for the bill to arrive.

Then don't do it again.

You were obstructing peoples view turning out of the junction.

Sorry mate but you're in the wrong, pay it. (y)

Dom

Agreed.

so if who ever issued the ticket has put Unnecessary obstruction and said points will be added, will the ticket be issued wrong and so the op could get off on technicality?

yarmouth and southend and some small village type towns that ive driven through but not remembered the names

Yep, Yarmouth sea front have marked bays in central reservation.

That pretty much settles it then. Courses are only offered for endorsable offences so it'll be a 50 Quidder.

But doesn't mean its not endorsable, as not all endorsable offences offer a course.

Dangerous Driving isn't. Speeding above a certain level isn't, for example in excess of 45 in a 30 limit.

Conversely, stopping on, or within the limits of a pedestrian crossing, Dangerous Positioning, stopping on Double White Lines, contravening mandatory traffic lights or signs, failing to stop for a Police Officer or Traffic Warden/(T)PCSOin uniform all are. If the driver chooses to accept. Pretty much any offence that an Endorseable Fixed Penalty Notice can be issued for, a course could be an alternative.

what's the punishment for stopping on a clearway and for parking on a clearway?
It should be a non-endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice. Depending on what local policy is, it could, if enforced by the Police, be changed into Dangerous Positioning if, for example there was a high speed limit. 70 ought to do it, or if the offence took place on a bend or roundabout within that Clearway.

Dangerous Position would attract (probably) 3 points or the appropriate course. One thing to be aware of when accepting a course is that whereas insurance companies used to ask if the proposer had been convicted of a motoring offence within a certain timeframe, now they are increasingly asking if the proposer has been convicted of an offence or attended a re-training course as an alternative to prosecution.

its only 40mph but people stop to use phone on it, or park to take dogs for a walk
Stopping to use the phone is quite common in all sorts of stupid places and quite often the drivers try and diminish one offence but commit another one instead. The classic is a driver I spoke to recently who was parked on a roundabout and when I indicated that he should move off pretty quickly he waved his phone at me and smiled.

I was on my way elsewhere but knew there was a Traffic car about a minute behind. A quick shout on the radio and he dealt with it and Mr. Callmaker got 3 points and a fine for Dangerous Positioning and a further 3 points and fine for using his phone while in charge of a motor vehicle. The principle behind the points for the phone was that the driver was guilty of being in charge of a little knowledge, which as we all know is a dangerous thing.

Although he'd parked up, he still had the engine running and therefore was in charge of a motor vehicle. Oops!

So, it would largely depend on circumstances and who had the responsibility for enforcement on that road. Some Clearways are enforced by the Local Authority, mainly Bus Stop Clearways and School Clearways to be fair, but just like Double Yellow Lines, some Clearways may be enforced by the Council and others by the Police.

Last edited:
Although he'd parked up, he still had the engine running and therefore was in charge of a motor vehicle. Oops!

and the police wonder why 90% of the population don't like them.
I agree the driver is an idiot but 6 points?
If only the police were as good at catching actual criminals.

Police are never great at catching actual criminals. They take up cells and cost tax payers money!

I've had 2 parking tickets in my time. 1 was issued as a £60 fine when at the time it was £30. A quick call confirmed that £60 was for out of date tax, which it wasn't. So it got dropped. The second again was for £60 for being parked and obstructing an alley entrance. Which I wasn't. So again that got dropped.

My major run in was for doing 84mph on the M8 in Glasgow. It was a Wednesday morning at 2am. Heading back from the airport. And they decided that by being on what's effectively a 40 foot flyover I was endangering pedestrians. 6 points and £500 fine for my troubles.

I admit the speed was excessive. But the punishment equally if not more so.

Last edited:
and the police wonder why 90% of the population don't like them.
I agree the driver is an idiot but 6 points?
If only the police were as good at catching actual criminals.

And who will you call when you are in trouble? The Fiat Forum cannot fix everything.

The Police have to enforce all the laws, some are easier and more apparent than others. If no offence is committed, then no penalties will be issued. Two offences were committed, two tickets issued. Perhaps if the offender had said sorry and moved on, instead of waving his phone, he might have got away with it. No sympathy from me.

Police are never great at catching actual criminals. They take up cells and cost tax payers money!

And they try very hard not to get caught and require a lot of resources and paperwork. Sadly, they're not allowed to lock people up any more, just because they know they are guilty, no more "falling down the stairs", etc. So by being nice to the criminals, we have made it more difficult to convict them. (Anyone like to form a lynch mob?)

I've had 2 parking tickets in my time.

They are human beings, doing a difficult job, mistakes happen. Argue firmly and fairly.

My major run in was for doing 84mph on the M8 in Glasgow. ... I was endangering pedestrians.

M8, no pedestrians, invalid argument?
Observation needs to match the speed, especially so at 84 mph, but you did not see the police car? Can anyone else see a problem there?

And who will you call when you are in trouble? The Fiat Forum cannot fix everything.

Thats the problem people don't bother calling the police because they know that they won't do anything even if they bother to come out.

I have never been in trouble with the police but the only times I have had to talk with someone representing them I have been most unimpressed.
I am sure there are some great police out there but unfortunately I have not met one.

Well in any case I've never actually been helped in any way shape of form by police in the 4 times I've been involved in a rear end collision in which case all 4 cars drove away from the scene in full CCTV areas. On all occasions the Police were 'unable to distinguish the number plates' or shorthand for 'couldn't be bothered'

M8, no pedestrians, invalid argument?
Observation needs to match the speed, especially so at 84 mph, but you did not see the police car? Can anyone else see a problem there?

The road was empty at that exact time apart from me and of course them, who were nice enough to inform me that they had followed me for around 5 miles in an unmarked car at a distance of about a half to 3/4 on a mile away. If anything I reckon they were trying to ensure I was over 70mph for the regulated 1/4 mile they required.

I agree the speed was excessive but considering the length they had to tail me to catch me over the limit for the desired distance of travel they clearly just wanted some work. I don't really mind how you try and extrapolate it, there isn't any need to tail someone for 5 miles.

I agree the speed was excessive but considering the length they had to tail me to catch me over the limit for the desired distance of travel they clearly just wanted some work. I don't really mind how you try and extrapolate it, there isn't any need to tail someone for 5 miles.

or maybe they was giving you a chance and if you had dropped speed back with in a certain time you would have been let off:idea:

On all occasions the Police were 'unable to distinguish the number plates' or shorthand for 'couldn't be bothered'

Unlucky if the same thing has happened 4 times, however you do seem to incorrectly think that all CCTV is HD, which it isn't.

Perhaps a dash camera might be a good investment?

Back