Quick traffic offence question

Currently reading:
Quick traffic offence question

Unlucky if the same thing has happened 4 times, however you do seem to incorrectly think that all CCTV is HD, which it isn't.

Perhaps a dash camera might be a good investment?

Haha it would need to be a parcel shelf camera, every time it's happened I've been sat at a red light:p

And Dave they actually turned on the blues and 2's once I was doing 60mph. I still don't understand the logic of them on that night. Done and dusted now mind you, point come off in January *touches wood*

4 times I've been involved in a rear end collision
every time it's happened I've been sat at a red light

Unlucky if the same thing has happened 4 times,

Unlucky? Why does it keep happening? There are things you can do to reduce the risk of a rear collision.

If you are arriving towards a traffic signal, anticipating the change and moderating the approach speed can control the following traffic. A sudden stop from a higher speed is quite likely to take the following traffic by surprise, as they are likely to be following your bumper rather than looking ahead to the lights and beyond.

If you arrive with no following traffic, no need to just sit and wait to be a victim. With no-one behind, you are a sitting duck, higher risk. Stop early, a car length or more back from the stop line, or assess how much space ahead of the line you have before conflicting with crossing traffic. Watch for arrivals behind. If they do not appear to be slowing, use brake lights to try to get their attention (so don't sit on the brake pedal while waiting), press the pedal several times to flash the brake lights, or add the hazards too. Once they start to brake, assess their stopping point. If forward of your rear bumper, be ready to move, then as they arrive, move just enough to give them the space they need. (Moving too early or too fast, may cause them to release their brake thinking you are moving away.)

This can be helpful for any temporary stop, not just traffic signals.

Unlucky? Why does it keep happening? There are things you can do to reduce the risk of a rear collision.

If you are arriving towards a traffic signal, anticipating the change and moderating the approach speed can control the following traffic. A sudden stop from a higher speed is quite likely to take the following traffic by surprise, as they are likely to be following your bumper rather than looking ahead to the lights and beyond.

If you arrive with no following traffic, no need to just sit and wait to be a victim. With no-one behind, you are a sitting duck, higher risk. Stop early, a car length or more back from the stop line, or assess how much space ahead of the line you have before conflicting with crossing traffic. Watch for arrivals behind. If they do not appear to be slowing, use brake lights to try to get their attention (so don't sit on the brake pedal while waiting), press the pedal several times to flash the brake lights, or add the hazards too. Once they start to brake, assess their stopping point. If forward of your rear bumper, be ready to move, then as they arrive, move just enough to give them the space they need. (Moving too early or too fast, may cause them to release their brake thinking you are moving away.)

This can be helpful for any temporary stop, not just traffic signals.

It's good enough advice man but each time it's happened I've been stationary on all counts. First 3 times was on a slope which clearly caught them by surprise as they shunted me into the junction. Other one for whatever reason they decided to start moving off when the light went green even though I hadn't started moving, must of been invisible.

But on all counts no one's ever stopped, dunno if it's insurance related, panic related or what not.(n)

It's good enough advice man but each time it's happened I've been stationary on all counts. First 3 times was on a slope which clearly caught them by surprise as they shunted me into the junction. Other one for whatever reason they decided to start moving off when the light went green even though I hadn't started moving, must of been invisible.

But on all counts no one's ever stopped, dunno if it's insurance related, panic related or what not.(n)

So in what way don't they stop? Do they just drive around you and off into the distance :confused:

So in what way don't they stop? Do they just drive around you and off into the distance :confused:

Believe it or not but yep, that's exactly what they did. Hence I had to get police to check tapes etc. Whenever it's happened I've not really been in the condition to actually chase after them.

4 times! Holy crap I'm steering clear of Motherwell! :D

That's never happened to me once in my 16 years of driving! (Touch wood) although I did do it to someone a few weeks ago :bang: but I stuck around

None of it was in Motherwell haha, 3 times at the same junction in Glasgow and once in Hamilton.

And all with my previous car, which I also happened to pick up 9 points in. Granted the points were my fault but I had the car 11 months, it just seemed to bring me bad luck.:Offtopic:

further 3 points and fine for using his phone while in charge of a motor vehicle. The principle behind the points for the phone was that the driver was guilty of being in charge of a

If ever i stop (in a safe place) i put the keys on the dash so not in the ignition... What is the score with these new fangled keyless cars where you can have the key in your pocket / handbag with a start stop button? :confused:

Stopping to use the phone is quite common in all sorts of stupid places and quite often the drivers try and diminish one offence but commit another one instead. The classic is a driver I spoke to recently who was parked on a roundabout and when I indicated that he should move off pretty quickly he waved his phone at me and smiled.
If you drive round a roundabout and something happens, such as the end of a cigarette drops into the driver's lap, the driver has a lapse of concentration, the car hits a patch of diesel, or any one of a dozen things, what happens to the vehicle driving round the roundabout?

It moves to the outside, which is where the bloke in the car making the call is sitting.

and the police wonder why 90% of the population don't like them.
I agree the driver is an idiot but 6 points?
If only the police were as good at catching actual criminals.
So what do you say, when at the Inquest into the death of a member of your family, I say to the Coroner:

"Yes Sir, I did see the driver and asked him/her to move but he/she waved a mobile phone at me and smiled, so I just left him/her carry on with the call. Yes Sir, I agree that had I insisted in issuing the driver with a ticket the presence of a fully liveried Police vehicle with flashing rear red lights and blue beacons may have alerted the driver of the 44 tonne lorry to the presence of the parked car and the driver might be alive today.

However, I was worried that 90% of the population might not like us."

Last edited:
And Dave they actually turned on the blues and 2's once I was doing 60mph. I still don't understand the logic of them on that night. Done and dusted now mind you, point come off in January *touches wood*

so points also went on in january too when there is possibility of ice? they probably have scrapped people off the road who were speeding and not fully aware of what was going on around them before so didn't want it to happen to you.
i'm not saying ive never done the same but if i did I'd understand why i got nicked.

So what do you say, when at the Inquest into the death of a member of your family,

But nobody died! trying to be dramatic to make yourself sound important? you should be a policeman.. oh wait

and the police wonder why 90% of the population don't like them.
I agree the driver is an idiot but 6 points?
If only the police were as good at catching actual criminals.
When a Cop speaks to a motorist in, for example, the kind of instance I outlined above, the proof is pretty much there. A driver can accept an EFPN but later decide to plead Not Guilty in the Magistrates (Sherrif's Court north of the Border?). In other words the Police Officer is present at the scene and time of the offence and can give evidence to that effect.

There are almost no other kinds of crimes where he/she is actually present when the offence takes place. The only other kind of offence could be a Public Order issue, perhaps in a town centre on a Friday night.

A Police Officer is almost never present when a murder, burglary or armed robbery takes place so obtaining a conviction in those cases is incredibly difficult in comparison with motoring offences. Yet most Forces no longer have a dedicated Traffic section and most of the Cops you see in BMWs and Volvos do carry out traffic operations but who also get directed to burglaries, affray, robberies, assaults, murders, harassment, stalking and almost any kind of offence you care to mention

One of the first Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice I issued was to a driver who'd left her car on the Zig-Zag lines at a Pelican Crossing. She came out of a sandwich shop and on seeing me gave a big cheesy grin saying "Sorry, sorry, I was in a bit of a rush."

The grin disappeared when I whipped out the ticket book, and when I asked her if she had her licence with her, she asked: "Why"? When I told her this offence carried 3 points and a £60 fine she almost burst into tears saying:
"That's it, I'm banned!" It seemed she already had 9 points on her licence. When I asked her what they were for she said 6 points were for a pair of speeding offences and the other 3 points were for.....wait for it.....leaving her car on Zig-Zag lines.

At first I felt some sympathy for her, I even felt a tinge of guilt, until I realised that here was someone who just doesn't learn. As soon as I told her she was getting 3 points she knew she was going to be disqualified. If she knew that why did she leave her car there?

Laziness? She could have parked 50 yards away where there were no restrictions, but didn't.

Would you feel sympathy for her?

But nobody died! trying to be dramatic to make yourself sound important? you should be a policeman.. oh wait
I might be mis-reading this comment, but you appear to be saying that because nobody died nothing should be done?

By implication you seem to be saying that if somebody does die then something should?

So don't stop anybody from drink driving?

What about somebody stoned on Skunk or Heroin?

Somebody driving a BMW at 130 on the M62? Oh yes, he drove into the back of a Punto taking a family to the airport for their holiday killing a father and son. So if he hadn't crashed into the other car killing two do you suggest nothing should have been done?

Police are never great at catching actual criminals. They take up cells and cost tax payers money!

I've had 2 parking tickets in my time. 1 was issued as a £60 fine when at the time it was £30. A quick call confirmed that £60 was for out of date tax, which it wasn't. So it got dropped. The second again was for £60 for being parked and obstructing an alley entrance. Which I wasn't. So again that got dropped.

My major run in was for doing 84mph on the M8 in Glasgow. It was a Wednesday morning at 2am. Heading back from the airport. And they decided that by being on what's effectively a 40 foot flyover I was endangering pedestrians. 6 points and £500 fine for my troubles.

I admit the speed was excessive. But the punishment equally if not more so.
Who issued the parking ticket?

The Police don't fine drivers for not displaying a Vehicle Excise Licence, they simply issue a notice such as a CLE2/6 which tells the DVLA the vehicle has been seen on the road without one. It's up to the DVLA in England and Wales and presumably by the equivalent authority in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

You can't complain at being 20% over the speed limit.

Back