Domestic electrical question.

Currently reading:
Domestic electrical question.

They are designed in CAD by people who have only ever seen hammers used on old films of men making ships.

If they were given a real claw hammer, they'd probably reject it as broken because of the piece missing from the 'claw'.

Shafts are a bit short for hitting anything with enthusiasm.

I have a 2lb ball pein hammer with a longer than average shaft, had it for nearly 50 years. Very little has failed to yield to it, including a few thumbs.:cry:

My dad broke the shaft on his ball pain hammer and replaced it with green ashwood. I broke that while working on my first house so sawed off the end. I still have it complete with cutie handle and TBH, its really handy like that. I've never felt the need to upgrade its controls.

Hammers with shortened shafts? Very useful in my humble opinion. First Hammer I bought was my 1lb ball pein. It's a Bedford, are they still in business? After many years of happily persuading things to comply with it I had to shorten it's shaft for one particular job and then found how useful it is to have one with a short shaft. I too have a 2 lb ball pein with a quite long shaft, as you say not much tries to argue with it!

The 2 lb jobbie was quite a find. It's actually a Gilpin - Ooooow, bow down - and has a "baby" brother at half a pound for more "genteel" applications of force. I got them as a pair for not very much at the auto jumble which used to be held in Portobello town hall. On another occasion, at the same venue, I picked up a wee square headed one of approx 1 lb weight which had also had it's handle shortened. Don't think anyone wanted it because of the shortened handle and although the square head confers no great advantage I do find the wedge end useful on occasion.

The other one worth a particular mention is my leather faced hammer. It's probably around 2 lbs and is wonderful for "persuading" brake drums, discs etc to shift without chipping bits off them. I didn't get such a bargain on it but it was almost as good as new when I bought it.

Just to save your imagination having to work overtime here they are:

P1090663.JPG

I've sometimes wondered whether to buy another 1 lb with a "proper" handle but I never have and now realize I get on just fine with what I've got. You can also see, from the state of the handles, that the 2 and 1/2 lb "brothers" don't see anything like as much action as the other 3.

No worries about the rawhide hammer spare parts are always available
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garland-...084803?hash=item2185586a03:g:y8wAAOSwqHNgRRya

You'll have to check out Leo Sampson and his "Tally Ho" wooden boat restoration/rebuild. The detail is amazing and later on, there's all the ball pein hammer action you could wish for. Start at the first video but beware, his channel is addictive. Everything from the boat's history to how he bought the necessary timber, lofted out the ribs from the original drawing lines, made the rivets, cast the bronze "knees" etc. The Parrot supervises progress with chickens sitting quietly by while he's howling away with some power tool or other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhTu3aGM60&list=PLB00JHoTw1TeX82Qw8hoFLRJI89Us_jMw

Attachments

• Leo's rivets.png
    Leo's rivets.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I watched this thread with interest..
'2 years ago'...
I will have to bite the bullet and get an LED equivalent or two

My recent research has confused me with the wiring requirements.. ads where English isnt their 1st language not helping

I will try and add links : more info

Pricing seems ok though.. @£8 per LED Tube

Back