General Project: Double Ugly

Currently reading:
General Project: Double Ugly

Had to have a look at the project. I miss the bug – but see it is now in expert hands.
She is looking pretty darn hansome at the moment..
20190303_143442_HDR.jpeg

Just what was the driver of that Panda doing to get such a difference in the amount of dirt accumulated on their wheels?!

Parking nose-first in a ditch perhaps?
I think that's what happens when you buy a very capable softroader and use it to do the school run and trips to co-op in Billericay. Then never wash it so that the brake dust accumulates on the fronts. No doubt it's a diesel too so that the DPF never gets a chance to do a regen on it's city cycle.

We live a little in the sticks, and yet I always seem to need to pull two wheels in the dirt to allow some oversized SUV to pass on the tarmac.

It's a shame really, about 20 years ago the car industry had it so right with things like the Honda Insight, Multipla and the standard Panda. But 'fashion' dictates we should have some rediculous SUV to transport our children safer.

The school run is a total joke. There's one mum with some Maserati 4x4 disgrace. 50% of them are in Diesel SUVs idling outside the school. I give up. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

Quick update:
Clutch is great.
Still not done timing belt or water pump.
Top mounts and / or drop links still rattling.
Wider tyres make cornering more fun.

Speakers were getting a bit farty. To be honest all 4 are completely shot. Took out the old chassis and cut off the connector block. Then soldered on to new jumper harness for some JVC 6.5" speakers. Still room for the old grills so except for the silver centre cone, they're fairly stealth.

Got some FLI 5x7s coming for the rear too so I'll try to do the same trick with the harness.

Just need an amp & sub for full Chav mode. :)View attachment 19920620190402_122027.jpeg20190402_123707.jpeg20190402_115606~2.jpeg

My speaker cones had almost rotted away, I cut a larger hole in the bottom of the front speaker water shields so more base could get into the door as it sounded a bit muffled originally - I mounted the rear speakers inside the original plastic frame to act as a water shield and cut the original workings out. Your door handles look a bit faded and dried out like mine, i'm thinking of painting them with Plasikote as they look tatty.

You're right about the door handles and I've been pondering what to do with them.
Options are:
- Replace with mk2 black ones.
- fill holes with fibreglass resin or body filler, sand, prime, spray.
- wrap with leather like old rayleigh racer handlebars.

Opinions please!

Received the 5x7s for the rear but they're on hold as the Shaguar needs more attention. Brakes and Injectors this time. Bleedin' Fiat's the most reliable of the lot!

Haha... Shaguar, I like that! Not much for sale on that well known auction site in the way of handles, personally I would like to keep mine original so painting would be the preferred option if replacements not available, filling and sanding sounds a pain though.

Autotek AT0BTDG500 500ml Bumper and Trim Spray Paint - Dark Grey. 7 quid or so on Amazon.

I used this and it worked well on dash and door handles. Colour was good. Clean with isopropyl alcohol or something. Lasting ok
Some photos etc here.near end of thread.

Multipla Dashboard gunge removal

Good luck.

Last edited:
For anyone else with a Multipla, does this annoy the hell out of them?
Trim off, three hex head bolts and one connector. Removed the wing mirror, de-oxidised, etch primer and satin black. While it was off I cut and polished the plastic window.
Looking a lot tidier!
Only other milestone is over 10k miles since the MOT.
Got a tax rebate through so the ugly duckling's getting a birthday soon. Slowly accruing all the bits. Just need the time to fit it all!
20190615_092545.jpeg20190615_095648_HDR.jpeg20190615_093729.jpeg20190615_094300.jpeg20190615_105125_HDR.jpeg20190606_165552.jpeg

Bits have arrived! Problem is no time to fit them. I needed to buy a temporary car to keep me mobile while I took the Multi off the road to take my time over. What do you think for £182? MOT out yesterday. 164K.

Attachments

• 20190625_175407_HDR.jpg
    20190625_175407_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190625_175250.jpg
    20190625_175250.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20190630-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20190630-WA0002.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20190630-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190630-WA0000.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
I think you may have inadvertently just bought the perfect donor car for your Multi project ;). 16V JTD. Yum. Don't suppose it's got a 6 speed 'box as well, has it? You'd be surprised just how many parts are shared between the 147 and Multipla....

The logic of buying a car with no MOT when you "needed to buy a temporary car to keep me mobile" does escape me though! :)

Last edited:
I think you may have inadvertently just bought the perfect donor car for your Multi project ;). 16V JTD. Yum. Don't suppose it's got a 6 speed 'box as well, has it? You'd be surprised just how many parts are shared between the 147 and Multipla....

The logic of buying a car with no MOT when you "needed to buy a temporary car to keep me mobile" does escape me though! :)
Yes I opened the bonnet and immediately recognised the layout. So far as I understand it's the 16v head on the same block? Yes it does have a 6 speed too. Haven't really driven it in anger yet (obvs) but will try to get an MOT this week. Hoping for little or nothing required.

Have a look at the threads on here by a Polish guy (forum name miszczu77).

Several Polish Multiplas have been converted to the 16V JTD with the 6 speed 'box. Looks like the simplest route is to literally swap the whole lot over, including stuff like the ECU. The gearbox mount needed to fit the 6 speed 'box to a Multipla happens to be one from a 147 (it's in one of his photos). I think the engine mounts are retained from the Multipla. There are some good threads on the 16v conversion on the Polish forum, with lots of photos, but I can't find them now.

I'm grateful for you to search for me. TBH this was a stop gap to fit the lowering springs, shocks, top mounts, drop links, timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt. I've often thought the Multi could do with a 6th gear though. At the moment the bug is driving me crazy with this sqeaking - low pitch like rubber on metal. My 2 mile test drive of the 147 was silent and the air con was also ice cold which is refreshing after the Multi, i still haven't got it regassed. Unfortunately the Alfa has got 164k so it's no spring chicken, I have been told it's had oil changes every 10k religiously and alternators/boost pipes/radiator & oil cooler since 100k.

The squeaking you mention could well be the front ARB if it has shifted sideways across the car. Check to see if either of the little stops that are attached to the bar itself (right next to the ARB rubber bushes on the subframe) have gone AWOL. Once they go missing, the ARB slips sideways and the wobbles and bends in the bar start rubbing against things that they're not supposed to, and that often means metal-to-metal contact.

Back