Parts.jpg

500 (Classic) Project Bambino

Introduction

I bought my 1969 500F some time ago and always promised it a rebuild as it was in 'original' condition. I stripped it completely and delivered the body to a mate who specializes in restoration. Over the last couple of months the body was shot blasted, all of the rust removed (and the bits of baked bean tin covering the rust ...) and new panels & sills welded on where required. It is approaching the point where it will be primed and painted bright red. I'll collect photos over the next week or so and post them.

Mechanically the car wasn't too bad. The PO had rebuilt the engine so all I did was remove, clean, rustproof and repaint the cowling and clean the engine and gearbox/diff. I rebuilt the generator - new bearings and brushes and did a similar job on the starter.

The interior was fairly sad so the upholstery has all been replaced using high quality automotive black vinyl with red piping. Very chic.

I'll rebuild the suspension and brakes when I get the car back from the body shop. I'm hoping to lower it a little and fit front disc brakes.

I've attached a photo of the bits lying in our spare room - my wife is very tolerant.

Chris
Big weekend - well, for me at least ....

I installed the engine and drivetrain on Saturday and hooked everything up.

This morning I set up the static timing, connected the battery and put a bit of fuel in the tank. After a few cranks, it fired and ran roughly. A bit of tweaking on the mixture and idle screws after it warmed up had it purring beautifully - or maybe puttering would be a better word.

I can't drive it at the moment because I've yet to sort out the brakes. I'm waiting for tyres for my 126 rims and then I'll change the front hubs over to discs, bleed the system and go for a drive. Hopefully this will happen next weekend.

After I get it on the road I'm going to leave it with a mate of mine who is an automotive upholsterer to get some carpet, sound proofing etc put in. He's the one who trimmed the seats. The 126 I stripped for parts had two good front seats that I'll get retrimmed. They are better (and safer) seats than the originals as they have a lock to prevent them tipping, a headrest and also a reclining mechanism. They also fit the rails without modification.

I've posted a couple of photos of the engine installed in the car. The blur in the first photo is due to the vibration from the engine as it idled. After the excitement of the test run - it's been 12 months since the engine started - I shortened the fuel line loop of fitted it with hose clamps. And no, I didn't have to use the fire extinguisher.

Regards,
Chris

Attachments

• Running 1.jpg
    Running 1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Running 2.jpg
    Running 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 175
Getting close to the end now.

I installed the front disc brakes on Saturday. They came already fitted on new kingpins so it was a simple matter of undoing the top and bottom bolts, disconnecting the brake flexible hose and the steering tie-rod end and the old drums came off easily. A bit of cleaning, new hoses and on with the new brakes. Once done, I bled them gently front and rear using a power bleeder and bolted on the wheels. The new tyres rubbed slightly on a body seam at the front where I had a new front panel welded on. This was easily fixed with the angle grinder, some new sealant and black paint later and you'd never know.

After all of the above, I went for a drive up and down the road. All good - the brakes are terrific - until it stalled coming up the hill to home and refused to restart. A bit of a push from my mates and it was back into the garage. The neighbours were all highly amused - a least I didn't get 'buy a horse', though I was reminded that FIAT can stand for 'Fix It Again Tony' :p

The points were playing up (probably badly pitted) so I filed them, reset them and this afternoon the engine was humming again. I can feel an electronic ignition coming on (y)

I've attached a couple of photos.

Chris

Attachments

• New front discs.jpg
    New front discs.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 196
  • New front discs 2.jpg
    New front discs 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 161
  • On the footpath 1.jpg
    On the footpath 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 207
  • On the footpath 2.jpg
    On the footpath 2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 190
Chris,

may I suggest that the neighbours were not amused but gob smacked! Looks so good out in the open. You have done such a good job with the end in sight now. So good to know that another one of these classics is back on the road.

Regards

Joe R

Chris,

may I suggest that the neighbours were not amused but gob smacked! Looks so good out in the open. You have done such a good job with the end in sight now. So good to know that another one of these classics is back on the road.

Regards

Joe R

Thank you - I appreciate the sentiment.

I still have a bit to go - upholstery, floor lining and sound deadening, rear windscreen (I left it out to get to the parcel shelf), bumpers, badges etc. Once that is done and it is registered I'll drive it around for a bit.

I've still got the 650 engine and transmission to rebuild and I thought that I might start a new thread for that with lots of photos as I go along.

The very brief drive I had yesterday was great fun. I goes round corners like a go-kart and stops very well though is still fairly underpowered on the hills. One of the guys at work is trying to convince me to rebuild the 650 motor so it will run on alcohol. Though if I did that I wouldn't be able to see the flames if it caught on fire :eek:

Chris

Last edited:
Word of warning.

I put 'wide' tyres (145's) on mine but in the wet with a little enthusiasm and on the right type of corner it is so easy for the back end to come round oh so quickly. (Don't ask me how I know but it is so much fun)

Regards

Joe R

Word of warning.

I put 'wide' tyres (145's) on mine but in the wet with a little enthusiasm and on the right type of corner it is so easy for the back end to come round oh so quickly. (Don't ask me how I know but it is so much fun)

Regards

Joe R

Joe,

Thanks for the advice. I guess that is what happens when you have so much weight in the boot - I think it's called a high polar moment of inertia. Porsche 911 drivers know all about it.

Having driven a 105 Alfa in the wet, I'm used to terminal oversteer :eek:
And as you said, if it's predictable, it can be a real hoot :D

My worst experience with oversteer was in my old VW. The inside rear wheel tucks in and under on corners (swing axle suspension) and more than once I nearly flipped the car. I was following it one day in a mates FC Holden (we'd swapped cars) and what I saw happening when he cornered with any gusto, horrified me. It eventually caught fire one day and that was the end of it.

Chris

Bambino, ur car is coming along real fine.

Thanks - so far I've had a great time with this car.

It's all going back together without any dramas and apart from the stalling last weekend I've had no big issues. I put a new set of points and condenser in it yesterday and set it up again. I also tuned the carby using my Colortune plugs and got a nice bluish flame. It is now as good as I can get it in standard form.

I've got no photos from this weekend as I've been at work for a fair bit of time today and yesterday. Late this afternoon I went for a drive around my quiet neighbourhood streets - had a lot of fun and got a few waves.

Because where I live is quite hilly, it is rather underpowered so I'm still keen to build myself an engine with a bit more grunt without going overboard.

The engine project will have to wait until later in the year as I'm about to go on holidays for a couple of months. This is also likely to be my last post until I get back home in November.

A lot of people on this list have been silently following my progress. I'd like to encourage them to give me their ideas and criticism of what I've done so far.

Chris

I love little fiats, i used to have a 126 BIS (watercooled 704cc, you only got the niki) but essentially the same car :)

Great fun, and if you stick a lot of weight in the front wheel well.. you get tremendous handling :yum:

I admire your dedication.. you must have plenty more powerful cars out there but maybe not so many smiles per gallon (y)

Thanks - so far I've had a great time with this car.

A lot of people on this list have been silently following my progress. I'd like to encourage them to give me their ideas and criticism of what I've done so far.

Chris

Indeed........ and....... criticism? Are you kidding mate?

Admiration is a better word methinks! (y)

As you can appreciate, I'm back from holidays. We had a great time - I won't bore you with the details, but one of the highlights was a visit to the Alfa Romeo Museum just outside Milano in Italy. One of the attached photos is of my all-time, favourite car, a 1932 8C2300. Probably worth in excess of 2 million dollars, so just a bit out of my budget :)

I picked my little car up from the upholsterer yesterday and I've attached what will most likely be the last photos in this thread. The front seats are out of the Niki and I think are safer than the original ones. These lock down, have headrests and a reclining back. I also had pockets fixed to the door cards to give extra storage space. The carpet is black, short pile and commercial grade so should wear very well. It is cut into removable mats along the floor for cleaning etc. There is lots of fire-retardant, closed cell foam under the carpets and under the new roof lining. It also acts as a very good sound barrier, though when the engine is running it is not what you'd call quiet by any means. All part of the charm. I've now got very little more to do before it's finished, get it road registered and drive it around a bit.

If I convert it to a 650, I'll start a new thread with photos. Don't hold your breath though as I have to save some money first.

Thanks for all of the compliments and encouragement along the way - it's been a labour of love and I've enjoyed sharing the results with the forum.

See you all around the bulletin board,
Chris

Attachments

• 8C 2300.jpg
    8C 2300.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 144
  • Finished interior 4.jpg
    Finished interior 4.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 175
  • Finished interior 3.jpg
    Finished interior 3.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Finished interior 2.jpg
    Finished interior 2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Finished interior 1.jpg
    Finished interior 1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 187
Chris,

car looking great as always.

Bit sad to think you will not be posting much more. Looking forward to an engine upgrade and possibly catching up sometime.

Regards

Joe R

Chris,

Bit sad to think you will not be posting much more. Looking forward to an engine upgrade and possibly catching up sometime.

Thanks Joe. I'll still be around but in more of a lurker mode.

Let me know if you are heading up to the beautiful Sunshine Coast and we'll get together somewhere.

Regards,
Chris

I thought I'd posted my last update in this thread but I've a couple more photos to share.

I have installed an electronic ignition (123 Ignition) - so it's goodbye to points forever (I hope) - and changed the carburettor over to a Dell`Orto FZD. The engine purrs along now, cold starts without use of the choke and hot starts easily. The induction noise through the Ram-Flo filter is not too loud. As you can see, I still have a few minor details to attend to in the engine bay - adequate ventilation being one of them.

This is the setup I'll use when I build my 695 engine so it's nice to have it running successfully on the 500cc engine.

Merry Xmas to all,
Chris

Attachments

• 123 Ignition.jpg
    123 Ignition.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Installed 1.jpg
    Installed 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Installed 2.jpg
    Installed 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 160
Hello and congratulations! Had an opportunity to read some posts and BAM....what a nice project. Beautiful results with class! I am at a problem w/spark on my car so maybe this 123 ignition is the answer. For now , I am soldering the wire on and trying as posted. I really enjoy these builds. I am a Porsche guy on Pelican Parts and Ferrari chat.....have many of same kinds of threads. Glad to see the Fiat guys doing likewise.
Best regards and luck w/the 500!

Chris, you are the man! I absolutely love this entire thread and can only hope that one day I can restore my Giardiniera as well as you've done with your Bambino. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Ciao,

Bud

Gentlemen,
I'm flattered - what can I say. I am a quiet man living with his family on the other side of the planet pursuing a hobby. If I've inspired you, all the better.
Wishing you all a very Merry Xmas and a happy, safe and prosperous 2011.
Regards, as always,
Chris

PS: Keep an eye on Joe's rebuild. It'll be a cracker.

Back