Private Number Plates - Cool or Uncool?

Currently reading:
Private Number Plates - Cool or Uncool?

Private number plates are......

• Total voters
mines PX58 TFK all my mates are convinced it stands for 'touches fat kids' but its just the plate that came with the car lol

seen V6 JAG the other day on a..... jaguar v6 which was cool

Going back a long time, the Jaguar dealership on John Dalton St., in Manchester had a XJ6 LWB and a XJ12 LWB with the numbers, including strategically placed black screw heads were ?XJ 642L and ?XJ 53L which read:
? XJ6 4.2L and ? XJ5.3L.

I'd be interested to know how much they'd fetch on the open market today.

Last edited:
I have privte plates on both of my cars, I just like them! Also they help hide the age of the car!

I don't think it's about being cool or uncool, you want one you buy one if you don't want one you don't buy one! I bought my wife one when the kids were born with there biththday and initials on it. Means absolutely nothing to any body except me the wife and kids. I bought the plate for us not for everybody else to play the 'what does it mean game' :)

Personal plates are a good thing. 20 years ago I sold 2 plates and both times the sale paid for the purchase price of the car.

RRB3R sold for £250 - paid for my Marina
WJG11J sold for £220 - paid for my NSU Prinz

The first thing I think when buying a car is can I sell the plate

My cousin had CUM on her numberplate......

Tell her to stop going to dogging car parks then! :p

As for private plates, all my cars have had 'personal' plates. They were unique and no-one had one the same as them... :rolleyes:

Personally I find the cheap 'private' plates daft. You pay money for a plate that virtually no-one else knows, or cares, what the letters/ numbers are supposed to mean. And re-arranging the spacing, fiddling with the characters or adding black bolts caps to try and make it read something is just sad and shows a need to be recognised. Go and audition for Big Brother if you're that desperate!

Cool number personal plates are very expensive and are self explanatary. But do you really want to spend that much on a plate that says you voluntarily gave the Government even more of your own money? Hell, they tax the motorist enough as it is without people giving them more money for old rope. Spend the money on something worthwhile, like alloys or a performance chip!

So for these reasons I'd never had a private plate myself as A: I can't afford one and B: I don't want to give the government any more of my money. Oh, and C: I really don't care if people wonder if the three letters on my plate are my initials ;)

Last edited:
I voted uncool but then remembered this :D

traffic_light_tantrum.JPG

Might if you explain ;) :p

T16 WRC on a Peugeot... :cool: (1st pic: 205 T16, 2nd pic 405 T16)

I have a private plate on the Focus and I would have one on each of my others if only I could find the right one for the cars - always wanted 602 MJT for the Citroen (engine size and my initials) but it would run into £(4figures) :eek: Pandas tricky to find plates for and most of F1 ATx plates went for £1700 - out of my price range :eek:

Attachments

• 205 T16.jpg
    205 T16.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 8
  • 405 T16.jpg
    405 T16.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9
Back