Technical Power steering dieing, battery and yellow bulb light on dashboard

Currently reading:
Technical Power steering dieing, battery and yellow bulb light on dashboard

beng987

Sorry if this post mkaes no sence but here goes....

My fiat punto 1.2 elx (believe its a MK2) has been working fine the last few months but yesterday it had an issue.

I parked up, the car still running and I went to reverse out but my steering felt so heavy ! (Believe my power steering went) it wasnt loud just really stiff to steer and a funny smell for a whille. Everytime I stopped the car( car still running ) the power steering would die and I would have to restart the car.

I re started the car and it came back but not how it should be still a bit stiff, further down the road a light appeared on the dashboard, its like an upsidedown bulb and its bright amber, its started going on then off but now its stuck on. I had no further symptons tho as my power steering was still being strange.

So then 10 mins later of driving the battery warning light appears on my dadhboard also, which was going of and on for 10 mins the just disapeared.

I'm going to put it in for service but I want some advice on this because I need to drive to work !!!

Thanks,

Any feedback would be great :)

Ben :)

Last edited:
i cant really understand your post but you mention no power steering and smell which might suggest its pulling too much power and causing a massive pull on the alternator
might be wise to get it looked at soonest in case it catches fire

i cant really understand your post but you mention no power steering and smell which might suggest its pulling too much power and causing a massive pull on the alternator
might be wise to get it looked at soonest in case it catches fire
To be honest that makes sense as the Battery light I was getting on my dashboard.

Thanks for the advise :)

I will get it checked soon as possible

It is not constantly smelling just the first time it happend.

Im going to check is anything has leaked this morning also

You wont find any power steering leaks as its electric steering not hydrolic

If the alternator is not charging the battery will go flat and the power steering will stop working. Test the electrical system. If you suspect power steering is faulty pull its fuse, but to be honest if it really has failed the fuse would probably have blown by now.

If the alternator is not charging the battery will go flat and the power steering will stop working. Test the electrical system. If you suspect power steering is faulty pull its fuse, but to be honest if it really has failed the fuse would probably have blown by now.

had a mk11 in this morning
no power steering at all
you can turn the city button light on and off but the red steering wheel of doom was permanently on
it hadnt blown the fuse though
bally difficult to drive with 15 inch alloys and low profiles and shes only 5 foot tall the woman who owns it
she blew hers by doing a 22 point turn on an unlit country b road and not using the city button
so use it or lose it as i always say
need to source her a motor now and hope that solves her problermo

powersteering light is either a simple power shortage - or a Fault code to diagnose

Also the Amber Light that was on and off now on = a Bulb malfunction error

A Bulb is sucking to much current - about to blow
an earth is corrodded
Or a wrong wattage bulb is fitted

If it only happens to appear on Footbrake - probably rear clusters

Ziggy

okay guys I got it fixed.

A front bulb had come out which was causing the light on dashboard to come out.

And my power steering has not been an issue for a few days now :)

Happy Days !

okay guys I got it fixed.

A front bulb had come out which was causing the light on dashboard to come out.

And my power steering has not been an issue for a few days now :)

Happy Days !

Light = Probably will happen once in a blue moon
i like the punto for the sense that it tells you when a bulb is out :)

But the powersteering will reoccour, how-long is the question, it depends how well the alternator and Battery cope

ziggy

I just had the dashboard battery come up on my way home, everytime i stoppped my powersteering wouldnt work, and everytime i restarted the car it would make a weird noise just before the engine turned, any ideaa?

I just had the dashboard battery come up on my way home, everytime i stoppped my powersteering wouldnt work, and everytime i restarted the car it would make a weird noise just before the engine turned, any ideaa?

Get the battery drop tested at -- well -- somewhere that sells batteries and will test for free.

Test the alternator output. The search will find many descriptions of how to do this. Funny sound may be the starter motor solenoid -- rapid clicking (?). Sure sign of a battery or earthing issue.

Sounds like some great advice thanks alot mate, yeah ive never heard that noise untill today maybe the battery does need changing

Sounds like some great advice thanks alot mate, yeah ive never heard that noise untill today maybe the battery does need changing

If a battery is weak it will cause all sort of problems with your electrics, such as intermittent power steering failure, struggling to start the car, the starter motor is a thirsty bugger just like the power steering motor, so if the battery isn't up to par you will get all sorts of issues.

So get it drop tested, and they'll be able to tell you if your battery has had it or not, if it's had it then it's time to dig in your bank and buy a new battery...

May I recommend the Bosch S4 battery it's a great battery for these cars! :)

Benny

If a battery is weak it will cause all sort of problems with your electrics, such as intermittent power steering failure, struggling to start the car, the starter motor is a thirsty bugger just like the power steering motor, so if the battery isn't up to par you will get all sorts of issues.

So get it drop tested, and they'll be able to tell you if your battery has had it or not, if it's had it then it's time to dig in your bank and buy a new battery...

May I recommend the Bosch S4 battery it's a great battery for these cars! :)

Benny

You may be onto something there because recently ive been noticing that my windows sometimes dont work, definitely getting a new battery tomorrow! :)

You may be onto something there because recently ive been noticing that my windows sometimes dont work, definitely getting a new battery tomorrow! :)

Go to a motor factors or something similar and they usually have deals like you buy new battery off them they have your old battery off you and they give you back like £4-5 for it so say you paid £45 for the new battery you get £5 back from that....can't argue with that!

I did this early this year when my old battery was shot! Brought the new battery took the old battery off in their car park, handed it to them they gave me £5 back :slayer:

Benny

Go to a motor factors or something similar and they usually have deals like you buy new battery off them they have your old battery off you and they give you back like £4-5 for it so say you paid £45 for the new battery you get £5 back from that....can't argue with that!

I did this early this year when my old battery was shot! Brought the new battery took the old battery off in their car park, handed it to them they gave me £5 back :slayer:

Benny

Haha i like your syle :)

You had any problems since? Ive had the car over a year and dont know the last time the batter was changed, someone said that my alternator could be on its way out! I bloody hope not haha

Haha i like your syle :)

You had any problems since? Ive had the car over a year and dont know the last time the batter was changed, someone said that my alternator could be on its way out! I bloody hope not haha

:D

Nah no problems since whatsoever, even my car was off the roads for a whole week due to engine failure (had new engine fitted in the end) and it still started normally after a week, what more can you ask from a battery? :)

I have the bosch s4 battery great battery, can't fault it either, i wouldnt recommend any other battery for the puntos (y)

Benny

Back