Technical Horn problem and power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Horn problem and power steering

Davies23

So on my cousins mk2b punto (in the photo) it’s been parked up since august last year we put a battery in it. It started up however with the engine not running and with the ignition on. The horn is constantly on unless the negative battery terminal is disconnected. It also has an intermittent power steering issue, it cuts out and the steering light comes on the dashboard.

The antenna base is damaged and most likely has let water in.
5DE14ED5-33EA-4F7D-9D3F-FE28C3C76FE6.jpeg

So on my cousins mk2b punto (in the photo) it’s been parked up since august last year we put a battery in it. It started up however with the engine not running and with the ignition on. The horn is constantly on unless the negative battery terminal is disconnected. It also has an intermittent power steering issue, it cuts out and the steering light comes on the dashboard.

The antenna base is damaged and most likely has let water in.View attachment 420952
Check relay R3 in the engine compartment for the horn. I have had a very minor power steering problem if the car is not used for a few days or if the alternator was not charging properly before I replaced the alternator. The system is very sensitive to the charging voltage

Attachments

• P4021607.JPG
    P4021607.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 41
Check relay R3 in the engine compartment for the horn. I have had a very minor power steering problem if the car is not used for a few days or if the alternator was not charging properly before I replaced the alternator. The system is very sensitive to the charging voltage
Hi there, thank you so much for the reply. the horn is on constantly unless the engine is on. Do you reckon it could be a potential
could you send me a link to relay?

? I provided a diagram. i suppose you missed that?
My apologies, I was typing quickly. I did see the diagram, Do you know where I’d be able to buy one of the relays if the one in the car has failed? Cheers Fab

My apologies, I was typing quickly. I did see the diagram, Do you know where I’d be able to buy one of the relays if the one in the car has failed? Cheers Fab
the black relays that look the same are the same. I suggest you test another relay in that position and if relay 3 is faulty you can take off the cover and free up the contact, or if you are lucky just tap it hard against a piece of wood to free it up. Try a scrap yard for the relay.

Back