Pot hole Crisis

Currently reading:
Pot hole Crisis

AndyRKett

Distinguished member
As was discussed here the other day this has cropped up in the news today about the blight of potholes on the countries motorists

With local council association officials saying the main problem is the government taking away Local council funding

I think the most interesting thing it the driver who claimed that a pothole 'disconected his steering' and caused him to crash his car

of course its probably all the fault of those people who drive about in economical low emission cars not paying enough road tax ;)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/potholes-aia-fears-crumbling-road-crisis-011027694.html#g4NQ7Wr

Last edited:
F*** sake. I wish our government would remove their heads from their rectums and see daylight.

Not EVERYONE lives in London, Not EVERYONE has a fit for purpose reliable public transport network.

They've been trousering tax (Road fund license & Fuel Duty & VAT) from the motorists for decades and spending the bare minimum on the road network. And now it's ended up in a state of disrepair.

The difference between the UK roads and somewhere like Germany is outstanding.

F*** sake. I wish our government would remove their heads from their rectums and see daylight.

Not EVERYONE lives in London, Not EVERYONE has a fit for purpose reliable public transport network.

They've been trousering tax (Road fund license & Fuel Duty & VAT) from the motorists for decades and spending the bare minimum on the road network. And now it's ended up in a state of disrepair.

The difference between the UK roads and somewhere like Germany is outstanding.

+1 Anyone living in rural areas such as West Wales and much of Northern England will experience particularly bad roads. Most of us using country roads are now fast approaching the point we need tractors to cope with the potholes.

Anyway, what's public transport ?
Where I live has not had a bus service at all for at least a decade never mind trains and taxis !

+1 Anyone living in rural areas such as West Wales and much of Northern England will experience particularly bad roads. Most of us using country roads are now fast approaching the point we need tractors to cope with the potholes.

I often find myself having to stop for such pot holes when a car is coming the other way as they are so big I tend to drive around them, if someone doesn't know the road they could easily damage their tyres/suspension. Unfortunately they care even less about back roads than anywhere else...

Anyway, what's public transport ?
Where I live has not had a bus service at all for at least a decade never mind trains and taxis !

Tbh i don't agree, roads here in North Wales are generally fine. Report pot holes and they'll be filled in.

Actually I agree with you. I make regular trips in to Wales and they seem to be forever re-surfacing roads that would not have been re-surfaced this side of the border.

Perhaps levels of reporting are better here? Who knows. All I know is that I reported the deterioration of some bits of the road around here and it was sorted, not quickly as it wasn't potholed yet, but it got sorted before it became an issue.

Apart from all the holes on normal roads im getting worried about the ammount of holes im seeing on the motorways. I dont think another shovel of tarmac should be wasted on speed bumps until every pothole is fixed first, Its frustrating avoiding potholes to then immediatly drive over a succession of speed bumps. Plus theres a staggering ammount of road clutter like signpost, signage and railings why not put that money into re-surfacing.

Try this reporting site is quite nice, they also automaticaly send your report to the correct council. I think it was coincidence but I reported a really bad section of road and 5 days later it was resurfaced. http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/map

In the past I also had a nasty hit in a pot hole on my mountain bike. I buckled the front wheel, broke the front wheel axel and the crank bearings collapsed plus my wrist was very sore for a month or so after.

Last edited:

Lets do something about it then.....no one pay road tax for a year, that wont happen though will it lets go on strike for a day, nah that wont happen will it, lets set fire to sheep and chuck them of the cliffs (French seem to prefer this method?)...nah lets just keep keep getting shafted after all its the British way.

You know maybe, just maybe one day people will actually stand together and stand up for each another and what is right.........................

You know what the common thing in these threads is? Statements like "I reported a pot hole, it got filled in". Perhaps reporting potholes is the answer? :chin:

i've got a road near me

it had pot holes and lots of grazing (cracked tarmac spots but not a pot hole yet)

Not long after the recent snow blast freeze thawing it

The pot holes have been repaired - badly
and the grazing is now guess what?

Becoming pot holes

its a major haul when they built the road to remove traffic from the village, but now its not getting repaired, the village and speed bumps is somewhat a better option almost?

This see a pot hole and its filled - PAH!

I'd be there till tim buck two reporting them

Im with Chris, the Uk goverment has gotten to far with this
We need to stand together and bring the roads to a hault as a strike and watch the goverment come sort such problems

Ziggy

It works tho, stop something to cause a problem and something is done about it

I've reported problem on the website for my local council and nothing was done, so i've lost faith since day 1 to be honest

Ziggy
Does it? You say it will, but you haven't done it yet so how can you say that it'll have any effect?

In reality, fixing roads is such a pissy problem compared to the other ones that face the UK.

In the last few years I have reported a few serious potholes, and they have all been fixed shortly afterwards. Also, a bit of a tangent this one, but there was a hedge near me that meant it was very hard to see to pull out in to a busy road, and it had been like that for years. It was so bad it was causing traffic jams. I reported it recently and within a week they had told the owner to cut it.

In the last few years I have reported a few serious potholes, and they have all been fixed shortly afterwards. Also, a bit of a tangent this one, but there was a hedge near me that meant it was very hard to see to pull out in to a busy road, and it had been like that for years. It was so bad it was causing traffic jams. I reported it recently and within a week they had told the owner to cut it.

Good stuff, if there's anything wrong about Britain it's that people don't bother trying to make things better because they think it wont help.

Back