General Possible new owner - Help Me

Currently reading:
General Possible new owner - Help Me

That's a nice bit of footage Maxi - I would like to see an extended play (without the music :)). There isn't much out there in relation the Fiat 500 in relation to handling particularly on bumpy roads. The drop of 10mm on the 1.4 sport does make a difference but when the Abarth guys dropped their suspension to esseese levels it performed miserably on bumpy roads with the standard A500 doing better.

The chassis on the 500 is handicapped with the gene of the Panda but it takes careful tweaking to get the best out of it. What will work well on a track does not necessarily translate to what's needed on a blast across the moors. The A500 does have some trick up its sleeve with the TTC.

Excuse the use of the A500 again on video below but towards the end of the comparison you can see the how the 500 handles when it's been pushed to it's limit. The A500 has been proved to handle well in the chicane test but that video is mega long and it's in Japanese ! If I had a choice between a bigger engine or a smaller turbo charged engine I would prefer the cc option but emissions and road tax rates unfortunately dictate the choice. Plus the Swift is still god damn ugly !

What's wrong with the Stranglers? :p

I would post the video but it's about 10 minutes long so would take ages to put up in decent quality, the bits on the straights are boring because it's very uphill that way, in the other direction you may or may not be able to achieve Vmax in a 1.2 500 though :)

When you're going things you shouldn't really do it's probably best not to post 10 or so minutes of footage on youtube :) I shall try and dig up a couple of the bumpy bits of a bit of a larf though.

I don't want to scare you as to what my brother-in-law experienced - he only had a manual - but the Dual Mass Flywheel for some is a concern but it's needed to reduce vibration, etc. It's not on the 500 but when the TA moved to the MiTo it inherited a DMF. So it looks like it may become a standard issue

The TA on the new Punto had a DMF too. The TA Panda doesn't, but some commentators have mentioned that it will adopt the DMF later. As you say, to damp vibrations. I didn't notice any particular vibration when I drove one, just a bit of noise at certain revs/load. This may indeed have been due to vibration, but I just put it down to the twin cylinder characteristics.

The TA on the new Punto had a DMF too. The TA Panda doesn't, but some commentators have mentioned that it will adopt the DMF later. As you say, to damp vibrations. I didn't notice any particular vibration when I drove one, just a bit of noise at certain revs/load. This may indeed have been due to vibration, but I just put it down to the twin cylinder characteristics.
The 10 year warranty only applies to USA I think, just make sure you like it before driving off and if possible get them to change it before you get the car.

My current car has a DMF and has done 80,000 + miles, but I always feel I am living on borrowed time. I am pretty kind to a clutch and never hold a car on a hill using one for example :eek: But they obviously have problems.

Don't worry, I'll have some more test drives before I decide, but I am thinking that since my car needs a few things doing to it I might as well get it through it's MOT and wait until next year.

I really don't want a DMF, rather I want a simple car that meets my needs and is still fun, and clever... but it really is impossible to get a car that ticks all the boxes and I'm realistic enough to know this, I hope ;)

SteveTDCi's inputs are justified since the DSG is well documented (Click here). Expect the 500 to 'end up' with a TCT (Fiat's equivalence of the DSG) in the not so distant future but power at the moment is limited to 135bhp and IIRC it's not available on the MJ. Note on the link that VW gave a 10 year warranty on the DSG (this may no longer apply but worthwhile enquiring) - unsure if that would apply to you. The DSG seems to have a high torque rating which accounts for its availability on your Diesel.

if the car is 2008 onwards then VW updated the canbus and dsg units on the cars, in reality i know loads of people who have a had issues on 2007 cars and before but mechatronics issues seem to be far less common so i wouldn't be too concerned Robin i i know plenty of natters running 360bhp and 500NM torque through them

if the car is 2008 onwards then VW updated the canbus and dsg units on the cars, in reality i know loads of people who have a had issues on 2007 cars and before but mechatronics issues seem to be far less common so i wouldn't be too concerned Robin i i know plenty of natters running 360bhp and 500NM torque through them

That's very good to know - mine is a 2010 model year car.

Rockingham Fiat have a 500 TA and an abarth on the demo fleet so hopefully i'll get to drive one this weekend.

They also have a Tributo Ferrari 695..........

I would be very tempted with this but it wouldn't last long at £13K and it has the sought after manual gearbox. It's a pity the € is only worth 0.79 to the £.

Attachments

• A500c.jpg
    A500c.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
I would be very tempted with this but it wouldn't last long at £13K and it has the sought after manual gearbox. It's a pity the € is only worth 0.79 to the £.

There is one on Autotrader like that for £13995 .... the trouble is the idea is to save money on fuel etc, at least thats how i need to sell it to the wife :)

I know this is obvious stuff and I am probably teaching my grand-mother to suck eggs, but it is still important. One newish member on here can confirm this from his recent experiences.....

Heh... wonder if you're calling me newish... :p
Didn't I join about eight years ago? But new to the 500, I suppose, though I did drive one in England about a year back. It was brand-new, had Start&Stop (which worked perfectly), was a 1.2 (impressively fast I thought, 100mph on the M4), and I now know that it would have had the revised suspension. I loved driving it, particularly around Devon country lanes, and the glass roof let in lots of that lovely English sunshine (once the ice had melted off). Averaged 49mpg.

The 500 I eventually bought makes a better noise and I think it probably goes a bit faster, but the bumpy ride of the 1.4 before revision turned out to be horrible on a long drive. Also it isn't as economical, so there would definitely be that point in favour of getting a 1.2, plus the manual gearbox on the 1.2 is easier to use than on the 1.4. I bought a Dualogic so at least I don't have that to contend with, it works brilliantly. So does the automatic climate control: the aircon seems strong for the small cabin, good thing I don't have that glass roof to be roasted by the New Zealand summer sun :cool:

In summary I'd say that the various versions of 500 do have their own appeal and yes, knowing what I know now (and having bought a larger car as well), I might have chosen differently, though on the NZ market there aren't a great number of versions to choose from - in terms of getting the best-condition 500 for the money, I made the best choice.

If the 2010-2011 1.2 Lounge in Bossa Nova white were available here second-hand, that's the one I'd pick - just like the one I rented from Avis (y)

-Alex

If the 2010-2011 1.2 Lounge in Bossa Nova white were available here second-hand, that's the one I'd pick - just like the one I rented from Avis (y)

Remember that looking back at a previous drive can be a bit like looking through a set of rose tinted glasses. The drive you have might be the best on a back to back test. Plus I don't think you've driven the other models in the 500 range ?

Apologies - you are indeed an old hand but new to the 500 section...

No worries Robin :D

And you're right loveshandbags, apart from the 1.4 manual, I haven't driven any other 500 versions. Oddly in New Zealand, almost every 500 is a 1.4 manual, with a small handful of Dualogics - the TwinAir isn't available (otherwise I might have considered buying one of those brand-new) and the 1.2 was discontinued some time in 2008 as someone at FIAT NZ decided it wasn't fast enough - shame.

-Alex

Last edited:
No worries Robin :D

And you're right loveshandbags, apart from the 1.4 manual, I haven't driven any other 500 versions. Oddly in New Zealand, almost every 500 is a 1.4 manual, with a small handful of Dualogics - the TwinAir isn't available (otherwise I might have considered buying one of those brand-new) and the 1.2 was discontinued some time in 2008 as someone at FIAT NZ decided it wasn't fast enough - shame.

-Alex

I remember originally suggesting a A500c with the 'standard' Dualogic to you when prices come down. But given the disappointment you've suffered with your 500 I would be hesitant about it now for you. At least you have a range of cars (& scooter !) to plug the gap where the 500 doesn't deliver.(y)

I've got a vw up arriving next week for a week so I'll see how it compares, I'm thinking it will be dull

Not driven the 500 yet, I was too lazy at the weekend :) the up arrives next Thursday and I have it for a week :)

Back