General Possible new owner - Help Me

Currently reading:
General Possible new owner - Help Me

SteveTDCi

Hi Everyone, Its been a few weeks since I’ve been on here but now I’m back lurking about. The last time I was here I was looking at early Puntos, in the end that I chose a 206 which has been fine.

Anyway, I’m back and this time I’m here in the 500 section. The reason is I’m thinking of reducing my fleet back down to 2 cars from 3. Currenty we have a TT Roadster, a Leon Cupra and the 206.

The reason for looking at a 500 is something that’s fun to drive and cheap to run, I say cheap to run but in all honesty the 206 doesn’t cost much, its just that it’s a little ….. dull. I love the Leon but with 300bhp its just too fast for todays roads, and with having the 206 I’m just not using it.

So many years ago I had a 1.4 Sport as a hire car in Jersey and I absolutely loved it, so I’m thinking about having one as a daily driver. I’m not too fussed on spec because I have my own plans for it, deciding on a colour could be difficult although blue and turning it into a Gulf replica does appeal !

Engine size, well the twin air is favourite and if I can keep it above 40mpg I’ll be happy. The other option is for the Abarth … if I could get this to average 40mpg I’d be happy too. If I go for the twin air I’m almost certain that I’d want the 500C, I really like the open air feeling and although it’s not a full convertible I think for day to day use its perfect.

So given the choice what do you think would make the best 500, hatch with a sunroof, 500c or possibly the Abarth. I want to do it as cheap as possible and would consider new or used, at the minute the difference between the two isn’t very much and there are some very cheap finance rates about with Fiat. The less I spend the more I can put on tweaking it, either exhausts, abarth bodykit, bilstein suspension and a set of lightweight alloys, the wheels would stay at 15/16” the seats would possibly be changed for a set of Sparco Torino’s or possibly some Sabelts. I will also want to do something with the stereo, if it hasn’t got B&M then I’ll go down the aftermarket route and that being missing wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

My local dealer is Rockingham, and I really should get off me bum and have a look, actually they are not my local dealer, Stoneacre are but I won’t be going there ! What are the usual discounts to be found, they seem to vary from a few hundred quid to just under £1000.

So if your feeling kind enough, please guide me in the right direction

Engine size, well the twin air is favourite and if I can keep it above 40mpg I’ll be happy.

Sounds like you've been browsing this forum & you have a realistic idea about the capabilities of the TA. I'd guess you'd have to drive it pretty hard to get your average under 40mpg.

Given the driving style implied by your post, I wouldn't bother with the 1.2 - it's a great car for economy but I doubt it'd be lively enough for you.

I want to do it as cheap as possible and would consider new or used, at the minute the difference between the two isn’t very much and there are some very cheap finance rates about with Fiat.

I think you've answered your own question - used cars are generally ridiculously overpriced & given FIAT's miserly warranty (the 3rd year exceptions could leave you with some big bills), I wouldn't consider buying a TA secondhand.

What might make sense for you is a used 1.4, if you can find a decent one for a good price.

Cars with the 2010 suspension revision have significantly better ride & handling - these will generally be '10 & later plate cars. IIRC all the 500C's have the revised suspension.

Good luck & keep posting.

Last edited:
welcome steve, we also run a couple of 300bhp Gold GTIs so understand where you are coming from and acquired a 500 TA last year for my daily as the running cost saving meant it was pretty much self financing (and have no intention to tinker with it)

i ended up going new due to finance deal that was on at the time linked with £750 deposit contribution

mpg depends on why sort of driving you do, i find the TA suffers a bit when doing a lot of 70mph driving but only budgeted on the car doing 40mpg as well so is around that mark

i like the 500/A500 in hatch back form from a practicality viewpoint given it generally is used for tip duties

the dampers are what lets the car down (its the worst car of our three over speed humps) but i love it as it is very go-cart like, biggest shock you'll have coming from TT/Leon is the seating position as you sit on it rather than in it and they aren't heavily bolstered (after 11 months i cracked the seating position last week), been to long since i sat in an A500 to remember what that was like in comparison

if i had to lose one of the GTIs i'd probably go for the A500 just to tick the sporty hatch box, i'd keep it simple and i'd stick to the 16s, cloth and stock power, but would probably tick xenons and shove some bilstiens on it

Thanks, The TFSi is bloomin quick but i find to get the biggest shove you need to keep it above 3500rpm, its just that it takes you above licence losing speeds very quickly, it is fun though. The beauty of the 500 is that you can go slow but think you are the fastest thing on earth.

Xenons do appeal as i have them on the Leon, but agree the more basic the spec the better, I do want to lower it a little and would look at the options, I like the idea of less weight in the wheels and don't see the point in putting huge wheels on a small car hence the decision to look at the 15/16's that way i can put a set of Sparco/TD lightweights on.

Thanks for the reply's so far & keep them coming :)

Rockingham are good I've bought 2 cars from them in the last year (despite living 50 miles away and 2 miles from my local dealer) and are prepared to deal within reason but still give good service - i just got about an £800 discount on a new 1.2 Lounge plus a generous trade-in on my old 500 and 0% interest on about 1/3 of the balance on the Ideal scheme. Alec Pun is the guy to talk to on the Fiat side at Corby. They are also Abarth dealers and have plenty of stock - they have a nice yellow 695 Tributo Ferrari in at £39K if your feeling flush;):cool:;)

http://www.rockinghamcars.co.uk/used-cars/search/241/abarth-500

OK I am going to be boring and just tell you to make sure you drive at least:

(i) a 1.2 without the rear suspension improvement;
(ii) a 1.2 with the rear suspension improvement;
(iii) a 1.4
(iv) a Twinair on a long drive with a warm engine and the trip reset before you start;
(v) an Abarth;
(vi) a C of any description (and I don't mean Maxi when he is in one of his moods).

It's easy to think you know which car you like and then see a "bargain" and snap it up before really completing your homework. So get out to your local dealers and do some comparison drives, preferably back to back.

I know this is obvious stuff and I am probably teaching my grand-mother to suck eggs, but it is still important. One newish member on here can confirm this from his recent experiences.....

you certainly get your fun fix in different ways but i still actually use the 500 for long journeys (most i have done is 400 miles in a day) and weapon of choice for city driving as the TA is nippy up to 30 and catches people napping

VAG TSFI K04 motor is a real gem, loved it in the wife's car so traded in my IHI TSI rocco for the Ed35 (which is the new project) which given its sunny today i will dust off the Ed35 for a trip out for lunch

TA puts a huge grin on the face every time i drive it

trust me i won't rush into it :) The suspension i'm probably not to worried about as i intend to lower it, the twin air, any reason on why it must be warm ? i prefer to grab a car for half a day rather than a 20 minute run around the block, i learn't my lesson by buying an A3 with DSG and hated it after a month ... it still took 18 months to find its replacement though :)

Maybe i should abuse my position as fleet buyer and ask fiat to loan me one :)

you certainly get your fun fix in different ways but i still actually use the 500 for long journeys (most i have done is 400 miles in a day) and weapon of choice for city driving as the TA is nippy up to 30 and catches people napping

VAG TSFI K04 motor is a real gem, loved it in the wife's car so traded in my IHI TSI rocco for the Ed35 (which is the new project) which given its sunny today i will dust off the Ed35 for a trip out for lunch

TA puts a huge grin on the face every time i drive it

The TT is remapped and has a resonated Milltek, so around 250ish ... the old 1.8T isn't a patch on the TFSi though. The 500 would be the main car and if i wanted something for a long run i'd either hire something for the sake of £50 for a weekend or just buy an old Saab :) My VW dealer keeps trying to get me to have there ED35 for the weekend and i keep refusing :)

trust me i won't rush into it :) The suspension i'm probably not to worried about as i intend to lower it, the twin air, any reason on why it must be warm ? i prefer to grab a car for half a day rather than a 20 minute run around the block, i learn't my lesson by buying an A3 with DSG and hated it after a month ... it still took 18 months to find its replacement though :)

Maybe i should abuse my position as fleet buyer and ask fiat to loan me one :)

Just that if you take it on a 15 minute test drive from cold the mpg will be even worse than over a longer run when it is warmed up. If you can score one for half a day and really do some miles in your usual style, then do.

My guess is you will end up in a TA despite the so-so economy. I know I would if I could.... A better blank canvas for your modifications than an Abarth too.

Ah, that makes sense, are they diesel like in there abilitys to warm up ? Its one of the reasons why i drive petrols and not a diesel.

My daily grind is ... straight on to the A1 for 9 miles and then a mixture of 30/40/50 for 4 miles, it does inlcude 15 minutes of sitting around some times and the odd 5 minute crawl. I can get 43mpg on this trip in the 206, the Leon 28mpg and the weasel when i had it 37mpg. I usually sit at 60-65 in the morning and 50-60 on the way home, its less stress and saves money :)

My TA warms up (according to the guage) in about 2 miles. I've got a hatch, but would have seriously considered the C if I'd had the money - I drove a 1.2 and was very impressed with the roof. It's a bit noisier on the motorway, and less practical, but if neither of those bother you, try one. It does look a bit girly, but if you're going to personalise it I'm sure you can avoid that!

My TA warms up (according to the guage) in about 2 miles. I've got a hatch, but would have seriously considered the C if I'd had the money - I drove a 1.2 and was very impressed with the roof. It's a bit noisier on the motorway, and less practical, but if neither of those bother you, try one. It does look a bit girly, but if you're going to personalise it I'm sure you can avoid that!

In terms of water temperature it only takes 2 or 3 minutes for the car to heat up, but for it to get completely warm it does take a bit longer :)

So given the choice what do you think would make the best 500, hatch with a sunroof, 500c or possibly the Abarth. I want to do it as cheap as possible and would consider new or used, at the minute the difference between the two isn’t very much and there are some very cheap finance rates about with Fiat.

Money no object - a A500c in Electroclash grey with a black roof with esseese wheels (17s) with Michelin Pilots, on a set of standard springs with Koni FSDs with a life time guarantee :confused:, a Monza exhaust that didn't rust and tan seats that didn't stretch and a multi-air engine from the US A500 for an extra 5mpg and Brembo brakes.;) And it would have to be a manual (that can be got).

There is so much choice in the 500 and even with a particular 500 'sect' there's a lot of options.

I would suggest dipping your toe in and buying a 'cheap' 500 in an easy to re-sell 1.2 Lounge (these can be got if you look in the right places) and if you like it then you can splash out and opt for either a TA or an A500 in either hardtop or 'c' form. It would be unfortunate to have a repeat of the Audi + TCT which didn't do it for you.

I have a sweet spot for the 1.4 and checking autotrader all the 'cheap' ones are gone but unless it's the Euro 5 S/S you may not get the 40mpg. The A500 will possibly get close to it judging by your daily grind.

If you are into modding then getting a car on Finance may not suit you since you are not supposed to modify the car plus you have all the headaches with the insurance. TA is more tricky to modify. Little or no suspensions listed for the TA. Gearbox is rated at 150Nm so its at the limit. Even the Abarth geabox is also limited at 201Nm but there is more scope with the esseesse quoted at 230Nm but how long it will last in the wrong hands is another question. If you want the look but not the go of the A500 there is the option of the TA with the Abarth kit and it does look the business. Price wise it's close to the A500.

Suggest deciding on your budget for a cash buy and possibly re-consider your mpg expectations if you're not going for a 1.2. If you're going the Finance route are you able to resist tinkering and if you can't suggest not going that route. Also looking at your 3 cars - are all 3 up for the chop including the TT roadster ?

I'm 6' 4" so not too worried about it being girly :) The TT would be staying, thats the wifes, it would just be the 206 and Cupra, I love the Leon its just a waste it sitting there, fair enough if it was a £1000 Saab ....

Modifying is on the list, i'll look into the terms of Fiat Finance i've never known it be a problem with others but do understand it will affect various parts of the warranty. Some companies seem to list a few bits for the TA and what i'm wanting to do should be available to all 500's. I don't have to have finance but with 0% or even 3% its easier to put down a hefty deposit and spend the rest on a holiday :) Insurance shouldn't be a problem, both the Leon and TT are on a modified policy with all mods declared :)

I drove by stoneacre this afternoon and they do look good, I would have got out to have a look but seeing all the salesman standing there looking out of the window was a little off putting :)

I'm 6' 4" so not too worried about it being girly :) The TT would be staying, thats the wifes, it would just be the 206 and Cupra, I love the Leon its just a waste it sitting there, fair enough if it was a £1000 Saab ....

Modifying is on the list, i'll look into the terms of Fiat Finance i've never known it be a problem with others but do understand it will affect various parts of the warranty. Some companies seem to list a few bits for the TA and what i'm wanting to do should be available to all 500's. I don't have to have finance but with 0% or even 3% its easier to put down a hefty deposit and spend the rest on a holiday :) Insurance shouldn't be a problem, both the Leon and TT are on a modified policy with all mods declared :)

I drove by stoneacre this afternoon and they do look good, I would have got out to have a look but seeing all the salesman standing there looking out of the window was a little off putting :)

I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when asking about fitting Bilstein's to the 500. 18.36 extra for the last month of the policy and that includes a 17.50 admin fee.....

I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when asking about fitting Bilstein's to the 500. 18.36 extra for the last month of the policy and that includes a 17.50 admin fee.....

Not too sure where I saw it but some insurance companies only charge for modifications if the bhp is increased (it might have been Adrian Flux ?). Working out your yearly extra is that 12x18.36 + 17.50 on top of your normal insurance premium for the Bilsteins ?

Not too sure where I saw it but some insurance companies only charge for modifications if the bhp is increased (it might have been Adrian Flux ?). Working out your yearly extra is that 12x18.36 + 17.50 on top of your normal insurance premium for the Bilsteins ?
It was 86p for the 35 or so days which are left to run on the policy + a once of admin charge of £17.50 :)

Back