General Possible new owner - Help Me

Currently reading:
General Possible new owner - Help Me

That's good. It would a shame if the insurance companies stopped one making an improvement to the OEM setup.
Yup. If it was a huge amount I probably would have just bought some B4's and been perfectly happy with them. But for 86p a month and not a huuuuuge amount more all things considered, I think the B14's are a good purchase. Now I just need to hear back from the dealer and then bite the bullet and splash the cash.

I currently pay £480 PNC on the Leon, 2.0TFSi with Stg1 map (around 300bhp) Milltek non res cat back and lowered on Eibach Springs (bitach to fit) also includes a panel filter and Catch tank, all covered on a like for like replacement.

Hopefully i'll get off my bum this weekend and have a look, i was on autotrader last night and 2009 1.2 500c were still 12k, there are some around 10k too .... I guess it depends on either a basic Abarth brand new 12k at Arnold Clarke or just under 14k for a new TA 500c ....

I currently pay £480 PNC on the Leon, 2.0TFSi with Stg1 map (around 300bhp) Milltek non res cat back and lowered on Eibach Springs (bitach to fit) also includes a panel filter and Catch tank, all covered on a like for like replacement.

Hopefully i'll get off my bum this weekend and have a look, i was on autotrader last night and 2009 1.2 500c were still 12k, there are some around 10k too .... I guess it depends on either a basic Abarth brand new 12k at Arnold Clarke or just under 14k for a new TA 500c ....

Noticed prices on the 'c' models have climbed in the last few weeks which is 'normal' given that our summer has now arrived. If the choice is coming down between the 2 of the above both have their advantages. One of the benefits of a soft top is that you can hear the exhaust sound and despite the new trend with small engines and turbos you can't beat the howl of a V6 from a RWD Mustang. A500 makes up for it with little pops and crackles. If you're really been naughty you can get the rear mirror to light up (works best on a dark night). Autoexpress one was posted before but the A500c with the manual is the one sought after. Can be got for around the 15K mark. Those Arnold A500 are nicely priced and there is a split camp between the beauty of the 10 spokes and the ligher Petals. 16 spokes can be picked up cheaply for winter wheels or if you prefer the smaller wheel. Stealth black is subtle put on balance still have a soft spot for the 'girly' Pealescent white with the red mirrors and the 'put it on the table' Abarth stripes. Red does look well polished up but the paint is a bit soft but you can mimick the 695 model if that's your thing. Campovolo grey is the preferred choice on 2nd ownership on the A500. In the A500c the Electroclash grey with the black roof IMHO looks the business but it's more £££.

The only thing I would say is that an Abarth 500 isn't going to be up there with a Leon in terms of handling, not by a longshot. Ditto with the TT. If it were me in your situation I'd be going for a twinair or a 1.2.

We've got a Subaru Legacy Turbo and with having one quick car there just didn't seem much point in buying something else which was going to be slower or only minutely faster in a straight line and was going to cost loads more to purchase and to run so the 1.2 made the most sense :)

IMHO the 1.2 is still the pick of the range. Sure the Abarth and 1.4 are quicker and a 1.3 MJ more economical and quicker on the motorway, but the 1.2 and of course the twinair are both citycar engines and it's a citycar at heart :)

IMHO the 1.2 is still the pick of the range. Sure the Abarth and 1.4 are quicker and a 1.3 MJ more economical and quicker on the motorway, but the 1.2 and of course the twinair are both citycar engines and it's a citycar at heart :)

It's good have the balanced inputs. (y) At least with haven't got our heads stuck in the sand. PJs earlier input on test drives can't be stressed enough. Buying the wrong car can be a frustrating experience.

It's good have the balanced inputs. (y) At least with haven't got our heads stuck in the sand. PJs earlier input on test drives can't be stressed enough. Buying the wrong car can be a frustrating experience.

Going OT we are just about to pick up our "new" (to us) other car. I have banged on about how fantastic my BMW 330D Touring was, and how well it worked as a second car with the 500. Unfortunately, the only mistake I made was not to get my wife to drive one before I bought it.

And guess what? Despite me explaining patiently that it was the "ultimate driving machine" (OK, they don't claim that any more but it is a "driver's car"), she loathed it. To the point where she refused to drive it, even when she was picking up both kids from school and was meant to pick up 2 more kids and needed the fifth seat.

So it had to go, and is about to be replaced by a Golf. This time we tested it very carefully. First, checking that all our luggage would fit in the boot - it did. Second, that she was happy to drive a Golf generally - she was. Then getting her to drive the actual car we are buying (which through monstrous good fortune - seeing as I was searching nationwide - turned out to be sold by our local dealer in St Albans).

We also hung out for the right spec and the right colour, so we now have a 2 year old Golf coming in black with 18 inch alloys with a nice meaty 2 litre diesel 140 bhp engine and DSG box, leather (so the kids/dog don't get shouted at for eating or being muddy as they do in the 500), sat nav (wife cannot read a map to save her life), Bluetooth and even park assist. And all for the same price as a well specced 500 Twinair Plus.

Going OT we are just about to pick up our "new" (to us) other car. I have banged on about how fantastic my BMW 330D Touring was, and how well it worked as a second car with the 500. Unfortunately, the only mistake I made was not to get my wife to drive one before I bought it.

And guess what? Despite me explaining patiently that it was the "ultimate driving machine" (OK, they don't claim that any more but it is a "driver's car"), she loathed it. To the point where she refused to drive it, even when she was picking up both kids from school and was meant to pick up 2 more kids and needed the fifth seat.

So it had to go, and is about to be replaced by a Golf. This time we tested it very carefully. First, checking that all our luggage would fit in the boot - it did. Second, that she was happy to drive a Golf generally - she was. Then getting her to drive the actual car we are buying (which through monstrous good fortune - seeing as I was searching nationwide - turned out to be sold by our local dealer in St Albans).

We also hung out for the right spec and the right colour, so we now have a 2 year old Golf coming in black with 18 inch alloys with a nice meaty 2 litre diesel 140 bhp engine and DSG box, leather (so the kids/dog don't get shouted at for eating or being muddy as they do in the 500), sat nav (wife cannot read a map to save her life), Bluetooth and even park assist. And all for the same price as a well specced 500 Twinair Plus.

You sure you're not seeing my wife? :p

That sounds rather a lot like my wife except she's quite good at reading maps.

My wife keeps banging on about how she doesn't want to keep on driving her Subaru yet doesn't want to buy anything too expensive to replace it, yet she wants something nice to replace it and so on..... she complains that she never gets to drive the 500 (fair comment) but now that I'm talking about buying myself another car she's grumpy and saying that she'll never get to drive that either :bang: Seriously, wtf? You wanted to drive the 500 more, you're going to have the opportunity to do so, why are you still complaining?

*puts head in hands and goes into the foetal position*

You sure you're not seeing my wife? :p

That sounds rather a lot like my wife except she's quite good at reading maps.

My wife keeps banging on about how she doesn't want to keep on driving her Subaru yet doesn't want to buy anything too expensive to replace it, yet she wants something nice to replace it and so on..... she complains that she never gets to drive the 500 (fair comment) but now that I'm talking about buying myself another car she's grumpy and saying that she'll never get to drive that either :bang: Seriously, wtf? You wanted to drive the 500 more, you're going to have the opportunity to do so, why are you still complaining?

*puts head in hands and goes into the foetal position*

You have to remember 2 things.
There's her car and your car. Your car becomes our car - the one that you go out together in. If I drive 'her car' she says that I drive it too hard and that it does not feel the same afterwards. I did source 'her car' the Alfa red MiTo MJ and she identifies with it. When I had the FW 500 she liked it and was happy for it to be our car. Now that she' got used to the 'silent' 155TB and likes the 'comfort' of the MiTo after the 500 she's not too supportive of a A500 thinking that it's all too boy racer and was relieved when the esseessed chequered A500 fell through. I can only imagine what your OH is going to say when you stick the B14s into the 500 and go off and buy another car.:)

Is that the latest gen or the one before golf with it being 2 years old?
If its latest gen good choice, very boring car but seriously practical, and a good compliment for a family that has a Fiat 500 but needs more space at times. Easier to park than a 330d touring thats for sure!
In athens i love the fiat 500 it fits everywhere so i dont have to give my car that much to those criminal valet parkers who could care less about the cars! The way i've seen valet parkers drive makes me want to cry.

Ok not as bad as these guys at least!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSme...lts?search_query=valet+parking&has_verified=1

Last edited:
The Golf is the current model - Mk6. I prefer "dependable" and "classic" rather than boring. And less boring with big wheels too.

good luck with the Mk6, it is a great car and with some nice improvements over the Mk5

I do have to intervene here as a female in all this 'her indoors' type of bashing. Erm... maybe not ;) I'll just leave you to it boys!:D

For the record: 'my car' is my car but 'his car' is family car and ONLY reason for that is my husband hates my car and refuses to go into it (only under extreme duress of withdrawing meals he will relent :rolleyes:) Solution: get the car your wife doesn't like! :devil:

Make sure you get a very long test drive of the golf, make sure you try parking it as the dsg is very sharp at low speed, it's also very poor in the snow and sits spinning it's wheels, manual mode isn't full manual the box will still change up at the redline. Try pulling away from a roundabout and see if it hesitates ... Any jerkiness could either be the fluid needs changing - every 40k and £200 or it could be the mechatronic unit £1200 + I hated my dsg, also see if there is a recall on the injectors, it mainly affects the 170 but the 140 is also known to have some issues. I found the leather uncomfortable in my golf too, although that was a manual. Back or now :)

In terms of handling, I don't expect it to be like the cupra, but I do expect it to be fun ... With the tt, have you ever driven a mk1 tt, it has grip but ......(y)

In terms of handling, I don't expect it to be like the cupra, but I do expect it to be fun ... With the tt, have you ever driven a mk1 tt, it has grip but ......(y)

It's fun in a strange way. If you have the 16" wheels and some nice tyres it will grip well, but take it for a b-road blat and you'll find yourself being thrown all over the road.

You can't see it all that well in this video, but I'm braking from about the speed limit (I don't actually remember, honest!), perhaps a little above and the front end starts to wander. Maximise the video for the full effect :)

That bit of road is actually quite smooth, I should upload the video from the corner that's actually bumpy! 2010 onwards cars will be better but the fundamental problems with the suspension are still there, it's underdamped and there isn't a huge amount of travel at the back.

Make sure you get a very long test drive of the golf, make sure you try parking it as the dsg is very sharp at low speed, it's also very poor in the snow and sits spinning it's wheels, manual mode isn't full manual the box will still change up at the redline. Try pulling away from a roundabout and see if it hesitates ... Any jerkiness could either be the fluid needs changing - every 40k and £200 or it could be the mechatronic unit £1200 + I hated my dsg, also see if there is a recall on the injectors, it mainly affects the 170 but the 140 is also known to have some issues. I found the leather uncomfortable in my golf too, although that was a manual. Back or now :)

Thanks. In the snow I'll be using the 500 with its winter tyres fitted. Mmmmmmmm, winter tyres.....

I'm not too concerned about any other problems with it as I have the balance of the manufacturer's warranty, plus topped up with a VW approved used warranty, for the next 12 months. I have to say I have more confidence in VW fixing the 2nd hand Golf without a quibble than I do in Fiat fixing my 2 year old 500 that I have had from new.

Thanks. In the snow I'll be using the 500 with its winter tyres fitted. Mmmmmmmm, winter tyres.....

I'm not too concerned about any other problems with it as I have the balance of the manufacturer's warranty, plus topped up with a VW approved used warranty, for the next 12 months. I have to say I have more confidence in VW fixing the 2nd hand Golf without a quibble than I do in Fiat fixing my 2 year old 500 that I have had from new.
Congrats on the new purchase PJ - glad the OH is happy with the choice. It's funny how the 'on paper' choice doesn't necessarily translate into the 'right' choice and the 'proof is in the pudding'.

I bought the last 500 from an Audi dealer and it came with a Mapfire insurance policy (which is pretty useless). Checking VW Used car warranty at least something is written down unlike the Alfa Approved Used car scheme. Couldn't work out if you bought an 'Extended warranty' which appears to be different. It's worth noting that the Used warranty explicitly states using VW's own garages - I was under the impression that an independent could be used once the 'right' parts were used & of course a VAT registered garage.
You must keep the car serviced and repaired, at an approved Volkswagen retailer according to the Manufacturer's Service schedule and intervals, within 30 days or 2,000 miles of its due date.

SteveTDCi's inputs are justified since the DSG is well documented (Click here). Expect the 500 to 'end up' with a TCT (Fiat's equivalence of the DSG) in the not so distant future but power at the moment is limited to 135bhp and IIRC it's not available on the MJ. Note on the link that VW gave a 10 year warranty on the DSG (this may no longer apply but worthwhile enquiring) - unsure if that would apply to you. The DSG seems to have a high torque rating which accounts for its availability on your Diesel.

I don't want to scare you as to what my brother-in-law experienced - he only had a manual - but the Dual Mass Flywheel for some is a concern but it's needed to reduce vibration, etc. It's not on the 500 but when the TA moved to the MiTo it inherited a DMF. So it looks like it may become a standard issue.

Wish you the best of luck with the VW - enjoy.(y)

It's fun in a strange way. If you have the 16" wheels and some nice tyres it will grip well, but take it for a b-road blat and you'll find yourself being thrown all over the road.

You can't see it all that well in this video, but I'm braking from about the speed limit (I don't actually remember, honest!), perhaps a little above and the front end starts to wander. Maximise the video for the full effect :)
That bit of road is actually quite smooth, I should upload the video from the corner that's actually bumpy! 2010 onwards cars will be better but the fundamental problems with the suspension are still there, it's underdamped and there isn't a huge amount of travel at the back.

That's a nice bit of footage Maxi - I would like to see an extended play (without the music :)). There isn't much out there in relation to the Fiat 500 handling particularly on bumpy roads. The drop of 10mm on the 1.4 sport does make a difference but when the Abarth guys dropped their suspension to esseese levels it performed miserably on bumpy roads with the standard A500 doing better.

The chassis on the 500 is handicapped with the gene of the Panda but it takes careful tweaking to get the best out of it. What will work well on a track does not necessarily translate to what's needed on a blast across the moors. The A500 does have a trick up its sleeve with the TTC.

Excuse the use of the A500 again on video below but towards the end of the comparison you can see how the 500 handles when it's been pushed to it's limit. The A500 has been proved to handle well in the chicane test but that video is mega long and it's in Japanese ! If I had a choice between a bigger engine or a smaller turbo charged engine I would prefer the cc option but emissions and road tax rates unfortunately dictate the choice. Plus the Swift is still god damn ugly !

Last edited:
Back