General Possible new owner - Help Me

Currently reading:
General Possible new owner - Help Me

Have you had training on your position under the Bribery Act 2010? You might want to....

nope, but then i'm not sure why i would need it .... if it was being offered as a genuine bribe then I could understand it but its not, the decision of offering either car has no influence on the buying process what so ever. I've asked for the UP as i'm genuinely interested in trying one to see how it could fit in with our existing fleet. In the 9 years i've been dealing with the cars I've personally asked for 2 cars to try and both were before signing up for an agreement, most manufactures offer demo's and i politely decline them, we have accepted demos from Toyota ( Prius ) and Kia ( ceed ) both cars are left in the car park and the keys are offered to anyone who would like to try it providing they have had their licence checked and complete the log book.

The fleet represent less than 5% of my job and we have a strict policy of accepting gifts, as in we don't, the same apply's to conflicts of interest. The only time i/we accept gifts is around christmas were they are all locked away and used as raffle presents for the staff, and over the past 3 years these have become almost non existent. I was originally invited out to the launch of the VW Up which was a free trip to Ibiza, including flights and hotel, this wasn't from a specific person but a VW corporate email, I would have loved to have gone but just ignored the email, if i would have gone my manager would have been notified in order to get agreement, i would have booked the time off as holiday and would have insured any costs were at my expense.

If i thought it was intended as a bribe I would soon tell them and no longer use them, I use the dealer because i trust them and we have a good working relationship.

Although none of this is helping me with a 500, i'm not sure how your post was intended but a :) would have made all the difference (y)

Last edited:
Although none of this is helping me with a 500, i'm not sure how your post was intended but a :) would have made all the difference (y)

In defence of PJ he's not into smileys and would take it in the best possible way. From a personal viewpoint I've always appreciated the angle he comes in at given his line of expertise. I'll glad use whatever symbols are at my disposal.:);)(y)

Yes, I was really just trying to be helpful. I certainly wasn't suggesting you are doing anything wrong, and your longer explanation certainly shows that.

The Bribery Act is something I have spent a lot of time looking at and it is not that hard for people to trip over it quite inadvertently.

All the best.

PS Michael is right. I don't use smileys.

You've got a job to do and an important decision to make.

A week is a decent time to ensure, as far as it's possible, that the car suits its purpose. In a situation like this it might be sensible for competitors to offer the same extended test provision.

I once had a box of mangoes left on my dorrstep by a company we dealt with - this was not in Britain by the way - it was Christmas and we shared the fruit at work. It made no difference to our dealings with that company of course, but the offering was received in good spirits.

That's not to say that I'm not bribable myself of course, but I'd want a few million transferred into a Cayman Islands account, not mangoes :p

Last edited:
Yes, I was really just trying to be helpful. I certainly wasn't suggesting you are doing anything wrong, and your longer explanation certainly shows that.

The Bribery Act is something I have spent a lot of time looking at and it is not that hard for people to trip over it quite inadvertently.

All the best.

PS Michael is right. I don't use smileys.:)

Cheers, i'm sure some people do fall fowl quite Innocently, but i bet there are a lot that know full well what they are doing.

I've corrected your quote too (y)

Our company went anal on this subject late last year. The fines etc for a company like ours would put us out of business overnight. Even at christmas a box of chocolates haded to the receptionist has to be logged and approved as 'appropriate' level of thanks. I got a lovely bottle of whisky recently from a customer and sweated on our CEO approving it :)

As the car is there for the business and just so happens to be one you are interested in then i cant see a problem. If it were to be delivered to your home and used by you only for the week then that would be another matter.

I wouldnt worry about the topic being brought up, its an absolute minefield and a very interesting one full of grey areas. people who try to understand it end up enjoying the debate which is endless.

Onto your car.........havent got anything to add :)

The car will be delivered to the office, although i'll put the fuel in it (my money) if its being used personsally then i'm responible for the insurance, I just wish people that had company cars would pay there own excess if its a claim on personal use .... ooooh i wonder if thats a BIK ?

The car will be delivered to the office, although i'll put the fuel in it (my money) if its being used personsally then i'm responible for the insurance, I just wish people that had company cars would pay there own excess if its a claim on personal use .... ooooh i wonder if thats a BIK ?

Company cars have very much faller out of favour here since if IIRC 30% of the purchase price of the car is tax (your tax allowance is reduced) on ones income each year. This tax is reduced with the more miles you do and if you were doing more than 30K a year you were exempt. That said if you had an office job and weren't 'on the road' some questions would be asked as to why you clocked up 30K p.a.

What I would object to is an individual travelling 200 miles on a round trip to a 'cheaper' part of the country (i.e. up to NI) to stock up on household items using company fuel. One individual I'm aware of after giving back the company car and opting for a car allowance wouldn't spend their own money on fuel to make the 'saving'.

Sometimes there can be a fine line between what's deemed to be a personal spend and what the goverment levy as a taxable benefit.

Back