Technical Panda not starting on hill?

Currently reading:
Technical Panda not starting on hill?

Jarowe47

Hi Everyone,

JUST bought a 2005 Panda, LOVE it! Drove it 5 hours through the mountains on my way home.

I parked her on my hill at home and when I went to start the engine it wouldn't turn over. After a few tries, it wouldn't even rev. Lights, radio, etc work fine though.

I managed to roll the car down the hill and park it on the flats and she started right up.

any suggestions?

I feel like this has to be user error...

If the engine is not turning at all on the starter, check the main battery cables.
The earth, from battery, to gearbox and body, is aluminium and corrodes internally, breaking the connection, whilst looking fine outside. The positive cable, should be copper cored, I think, is more reliable, but is occasionally reported on here as broken.

Check also the connectors onto the battery, and battery condition. A battery with a dying cell can power lights and other stuff, but fail to provide the high current for starting.

yep, just whirring or nothing at all.

The strange thing is, when the car is parked on flat ground it starts right up!

When it's parked on the hill, nothing.

I had a look at hill engage maybe that's affecting it somehow?

Thanks for the replies!

I dont see a connection yet between

not turning over

turning over but not firing

and parking on a hill

if its happened once could it be a coincidence

not firing on hill could be low on fuel

not turning over could be ignition switch or earth lead

next time it fails switch on the ignition and take a photo of the warning lights on the dash, switch the lights on and try and start the car do the lights dim.

is it 1.1, 1.2 or diesel
is it manual or dualogic

maybe I am missing something obvious

Depending on how steep the hill, it could result in the engine moving slightly on its mountings, and a main cable with an internal break will make/break its contact as the engine moves that tiny bit.

From half a lifetime spent around old motor cars, this is rare, but I have experienced such things several times.

When you say "whirring" noise do you mean the starter is turning the engine and not firing up or is the motor spinning free?

I had an old battery go flat on a hill. When I tried to jump start the car, it sucked so much power I had to disconnect the car battery. The cells were full of sludge - ok on the level but it piled up when parked on a slope internally shorting out the battery.

This could also be the problem as a weak power from the battery might not be enough to engage the starter. If it gets worse, after some time parked on a hill you'll know its the battery.

Jump lead test is needed the maybe a new battery.

Okay, I worked it out!!

It's a combination of two things -

1) a slightly old battery
2) the variety of electrical systems built-in

When I was parking it on the hill I was leaving it in neutral with the hand brake engaged (previous owner's suggestion). When I went to start it the car had to power the duallogic gearbox, the hill-engage, and the start-stop function (plus all the other normal systems - lights, etc) . These combined tasks just were too much for the battery and it would die.

SO

After some research on the forums here (thanks everybody!) I disabled start-stop function and parked the car in 1st.

She's turn-key now, although I am on my way to test the battery.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back