General Panda Multijet front discs..

Currently reading:
General Panda Multijet front discs..

goggs

Old Gitt..
Hi there you guys (and gals) have probably been asked these questions numerous times, but not conclusive on the answers given.
My cars a 2011 multijet and needs front brakes done. Seems to be a question on the size of the discs used either 240 or 257mm. Options of solid or vented discs but mine are vented. The 1.4 power house has 257mm as far as found and mine gets carried away as well so maybe. But may need to measure them before ordering.
Then are the caliper pistons screwed or pushed in. Read something about clamping hose and opening bleed nipple so fluid doesn't run back up. Does this cause probs with ABS block or turn seals in master cylinder.
Await you clinical fingers on scalpels...mind wash hands beforehand.
:worship:

They should be 257mm at the front.

There are two different discs listed, ones for the normal multijet and ones for the Cross (the 4 wheel drive model with the multijet engine).

If they are vented on, fit vented again.

Front brake caliper pistons just push back into the caliper.

Cars fitted with rear discs usually have a ratchet on the rear calipers to crank the pistons out when the handbrake is pulled on, these do need screwed in.

Best practice is to clamp the brake line, open the bleed nipple and push the piston back, a 4" G clamp is perfect for this.

When fitting, clean everything well before hand with brake cleaner.
Wire brush all the loose rust off, particularly off the hub faces so the new discs fit flush to the hub face.

Ceramic brake grease works best.
Use it on the (clean) hub face before fitting the discs.
Clean and grease the caliper pins under the small rubber gaiters.
And smear a touch on the areas the pad backings contact the caliper.

Right ok Goudrons looks like got to measure those discs. Wonder if it easier measuring circumference with a cloth tape. Will log size on here when found.
Cleaning faces etc well that's important. Hope there's no seized bolts or nipples. Lub all fittings up on refitting..some say shouldn't but my 50 years doing so says otherwise.

As Goudrons, except for one reservation.

I would never clamp a brake line. Many do, and some garages use this method because it is quick and easy, but when a brake line fails, it is often at the very place where it has previously been clamped. Separation of the layers making up the brake hose can occur when they are clamped, leading to failure - sometimes months down the road afterwards.

My method to avoid brake fluid being pushed back up the line and into the master cylinder is this:
Unscrew the master cylinder cap, cover the opening with clingfilm or similar plastic, and screw the cap back on. Then undo the bleed valve on the brake cylinder being worked on, and push the piston back as usual. Excess brake fluid will flow out of the opened bleed nipple. The clingfilm acts as an impermeable barrier and provides sufficient resistance to stop brake fluid re-entering the master cylinder reservoir.
Make sure that the clingfilm is removed after this part of brake servicing.

Last edited:
Yeh well that's job axed for a wee while until this snow goes away. As too measuring circumference you can get the Radius from findings of course, maybe a bit different but..
And yes this crushing the brake pipe is something you don't want to do as there must be a reason for the rubber layers breaking up inside. Never did it myself and never had to change a hose in the 50+ cars I've had and looked after. Sweetsixteen has a good answer but have used a rubber washer myself in the past.
What's that, Arctic weather returning...

Well that surprised me as well my front discs for 2011 multijet are 240mm dia. With circumference of 760mm/30" that's what it works out to on Circumferance = pi x Diameter. Tape went round easy but finds much drag on offside disc as it turns, so that's work on caliper slides etc required.
My discs are badly needing replaced as seen by the deep edge flanges. Must measure what metal is left when I get them off..
Oh and its not ordering time yet as Lucas & Bosch brakes are used and I didn't note which..

Attachments

• Panda Disc 2.jpg
    Panda Disc 2.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 20
nothing wrong with break pipe clamping if you use proper clamps and Know what you are doing

For what it's worth I did front pads and discs for first time ever ( only ever looked beforehand at job being done a few times but was afraid of messing with brakes) on my MJ two years ago and it wasn't too hard .Didnt clamp anything but changed fluid after . Just take your time and have something to hang up calliper with .I had no problem with pushing back the piston either which I'd worried about beforehand .
They look great after , worth your while washing backs /insides of alloys .You will be proud as punch of your handiwork .

Last edited:
Back