Off Topic Panda 4x4 offroad toughness

Currently reading:
Off Topic Panda 4x4 offroad toughness

So my Discovery 1 has broken too many times, so its time for a change. Ive considered all the usual suspects, but I cant really justify the expense of buying, maintaining, insuring and taxing a big 4x4 just for greenlaning (which is all Ide use my discovery for these days, if it worked)
So Im looking at a panda 4x4 (since wierdly, it is one of my "bucket list" cars) but Im worried it wont be tough enough, since it lacks low range gearing.
Generally, I try to be as gentle as possible when offroading, but occasionally an obstacle requires some momentum, and thats what worries me with the Panda. Im not overly concerned about getting stuck, since Im rarely by myself, and I can dig, and its not like a panda can be very stuck (unlike say a unimog!) What worries me is that since its not got low range, more "send" is used to tackle the tricky bits, and Im worried its just going to break.
Also, water crossings - how easy is it to fit raised diff/gearbox/etc breathers and a snorkel, and how easy is it to waterproof the bits that need waterproofing?
If I buy one to go greenlaning, is it going to last? Or should I just buy the "correct" tool for the job and get a jimny/fourtrak/etc

If you want to drive across a smoothish field then the panda will be ok.

If you are thinking about anything with a rutted track forget the panda. Panda is too low with zero under body protection, low front valence , etc etc
Wading just no.

I really wouldn't recommend a panda 4x4 for wading it's fairly low to the floor and you will soon end up with a flooded interior I'd have thought
Not too bothered about keeping the interior tidy etc.
If you are thinking about anything with a rutted track forget the panda. Panda is too low with zero under body protection, low front valence , etc etc
Wading just no.
I was planning on a slight lift and obviously a very substantial sump and diff guards/bash plates

what tyres fits under the wheel arches

Lifting might not be easy due to drive shaft angles. There’s a few of the shelf option but they are only a few CM for this reason

There a lot more information is available on the Italian forums

Anything is possible if you throw enough money and time at it.

For the price of a used Climbing you could have a newer Dacia Duster 4x4.
Get a diesel and it'll have more torque.

You've far more ground clearance as stock at around 210mm.
Without messing around with one it'll wade to 350mm.
The aftermarket is flooded with lift kits, skid plates and the likes and you'll have more choice of tyres, everything from summers, winters, AT's and MT's.

Yes, but I dont WANT a duster.
So by the sounds of it, its a no? Panda cannot cut the mustard?
It not busted just not easy or cheap

Off the shelf bolt on is limited

You can cut the wheel arches away and fabricate new for example
Plenty of earlier pandas have been modified. I not seen a 169 done here in the UK

Fairly sure I have seen one on an Italian forum although it might have been Polish forum

A good search through YouTube would be a good start

One of the TV car programmes pitted a Panda 4x4 against a Land Rover. The Landy won (obviously) but not by much. Tyres were not discussed but the Panda's look pretty roady spec to me.

Unless you want to go deep wading and rock crawling, suggest you try one before assuming they are rubbish.

Found it.

Last edited:
A cheap suzuki jeep might be an option.
It’s easier and cheap to follow a path already trodden

If you want to make a race car pick a car that has its own one make series

If you want to do some serious off roading follow the path of others with off the shelf parts.

Unless you have the tools and skills to use them.
One of the TV car programmes pitted a Panda 4x4 against a Land Rover. The Landy won (obviously) but not by much. Tyres were not discussed but the Panda's look pretty roady spec to me.

Unless you want to go deep wading and rock crawling, suggest you try one before assuming they are rubbish.

Found it.

looks like a fake video to me as per normal TV. Top Gear, fifth gear and so on are entertainment programs.

Backing up the incline a few feet was great but there’s a reason they didn’t drive up the slope.

The off roads shots are two wheels on the track and two wheels to the side during the so call race the Panda takes the same right handed twice. Then for some unknown reason take a weird different angle to purposely get it stuck. Or put it another way my old 2WD use to take on far more challenging tracks if driven properly. It may have a short wheel but as soon as you go over a rise the CAT gets hit, there’s some worrying thuds in the video.

There’s plenty of videos of the panda 169 4x4 green laneing worryingly usually with one wheel off the ground due to lack of articulation

Obviously its entertainment but I suspect the Panda failure was faked rather then the other way around. As for thuds underneath - half-decent bash plates will solve that and taller suspension is always available for a price. A farmer I know has a Panda Cross. He says it gets used far more than the Landcover and it's never got stuck.
The OP wanted a change from the usual unreliable Land Rovers. Panda is cheap and capable and can be further improved if he wants to go that way.

Ignore all the doom merchants (sorry guys) I’m a farmer, hill farmer in Yorkshire to be precise, we’ve had three LRs and one Range Rover, got sick of repairing them and have always had one panda 4x4 or another, with the right tyres it is VERY competent on and off road…
no it’s not got the ground clearance, but then it’s narrow and has a short wheelbase so it rides outside the ruts and the ramp angles work in it’s favour; no it isn’t a deep wader, but look on YouTube and you’d be surprised, our diesel cross (unofficially) towed an ifor williams triple axle trailer with four layers of hale bales around a damp rutted field…the bash plate is best modified to thicker stuff once it inevitably atomises…
You buy a car to do a job, I’d say test drive all the marques you can and go with what suits you…and yes, if it’s a dealer and they won’t let you drive it off-road, take your business elsewhere…Sunwin motors let us take the cross across the farm

Take it off-road and clean it properly before taking back. A quick run around a muddy field should soon prove it's ability (or lack thereof). A blast up the rock-strewn Delabole slate quarry might not be such a good idea.

Take it off-road and clean it properly before taking back. A quick run around a muddy field should soon prove it's ability (or lack thereof). A blast up the rock-strewn Delabole slate quarry might not be such a good idea.
The sunwin sales rep. came with us…she was surprised it coped as well as it did

Go try the Panda, you’ll be suprised. I have a 2wd and a 4X4 Panda. The latter being a great offroader.

68C5FB88-54A1-44AA-9865-86B4B17DF96E.jpeg

If they are good enough for Alpine mountain rescue, the swiss army and pulling caravans out of flooded vallies, I rest the case in favour. I know which is more reliable when comparing Range Rovers and Pandas too.

Attachments

• Panettone Iced Cake Fed Panda 28 Feb 18.jpg
    Panettone Iced Cake Fed Panda 28 Feb 18.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 60
  • trekfronupright.jpg
    trekfronupright.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Iceland Panda 4x4.jpg
    Iceland Panda 4x4.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 46
  • fiat-panda-4x4-island-expedition 3.jpg
    fiat-panda-4x4-island-expedition 3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
  • li1941343d80_8131_1.jpg
    li1941343d80_8131_1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 50
  • fiat-panda-4x4-cross-wading-front.jpg
    fiat-panda-4x4-cross-wading-front.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
  • fiat_panda_4_4_island_tour_2014_03.jpg
    fiat_panda_4_4_island_tour_2014_03.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Fiat Panda - Out_of_Africa (2).jpg
    Fiat Panda - Out_of_Africa (2).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 58
  • C2YzWqAVIAE22zd.jpg
    C2YzWqAVIAE22zd.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190820_192351.jpg
    20190820_192351.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • Pandatonio at Bawburgh 2 28 Feb 2018.jpg
    Pandatonio at Bawburgh 2 28 Feb 2018.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
If they are good enough for Alpine mountain rescue, the swiss army and pulling caravans out of flooded vallies, I rest the case in favour. I know which is more reliable when comparing Range Rovers and Pandas too.
Good to see them used to their full potential

Back