Technical Panda 100HP no Hot air from heater?

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 100HP no Hot air from heater?

Don't know if this is the same issue ?

I can go from cold air to hot air fine. But when I try to go back to cold air, I only seem to be getting hot air - even on the LOW setting.

If I turn the Climate Control off, and back on - it's cold again.

Am I just going mad or is this an issue, only just got the car (100HP :)) - and if this is one of the £1000 issues to fix - might be better taking it back.

Downgrading isn't impossible but it will involve a lot of time and possible money. Right now that seems like the only option. does anyone have any ideas on how to reattach this spline to the main shaft? my fears are that superglue or any other adhesive will just break again.

Also I cant find the part number for the actual flap as the Peugeot 407 had a similar problem and a 'keyhole surgery' method has been developed to replace the flap without removing the heater box.

Pictured is the actuator with the spline snapped inside the half gear and the hole in which it should be attached to.
I ve find a little tricky solution.You will need alittle piece of metal about 10mm long 4mm wide and 2mm fat.Take a screwdriver ,hot the edgeof it with a gas torch and as it is still hot, melt the plastic from both sides(one in the little broken black plastic thing and the other were it was broken).Try to melt it properly so that afterwards you can apply the little metal piece to both sides.Be very careful you only have one try...Then put all the parts together screw the actuator and its all fixed.I have already try it and its working fine

Don't know if this is the same issue ?

I can go from cold air to hot air fine. But when I try to go back to cold air, I only seem to be getting hot air - even on the LOW setting.

If I turn the Climate Control off, and back on - it's cold again.

Am I just going mad or is this an issue, only just got the car (100HP :)) - and if this is one of the £1000 issues to fix - might be better taking it back.

did you ask elsewhere, check the other Panda aircon threads..??:)

may just need resetting with Examiner or MultiECUScan;)

I checked most of the aircon threads before I got the car.
At the test drive checked it gave hot and cold air, seemed ok. Just seems to get stuck when going from cold-hot then back to cold.

I've read about the the resetting with ECUScan etc, it's going into the garage tomorrow so hopefully they can sort it with that.

Garage claims this is 'normal' and that they checked it against another Panda they had at the time.

Not sure I believe them to be honest, next step is a trip to Fiat for advice ...

Will let you know the outcome.

As an update.

Fiat found the issue, common issue of something broken in heater box. Wanted £2000 to fix by replacing the whole heater box etc.

Decided I can live with it, as it does very hot or very cold - and has windows I can open/close.

There is a fiddly fix for this problem. I fixed mine a few months back and took pictures. I never got around to posting them.

Remove the flap adjustment motor from the car, this is on the right hand side near the clutch pedal. It will have a white gear and a motor assembly.

Take the white gear and place a small piece of metal in it as shown. I heated the metal and melted it in place through the existing snapped plastic, then I used two part epoxy to secure it in place.

Then with a very hot flat, small butter knife I melted a corresponding slot into heater flap, make sure this all lines up before making a hole and make sure the motor is let to cold along with the flap. you only have one shot.

Wait for it to cool then put everything in place. Iv'e had working heating for a few months now, no issues it works normally.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask

Attachments

• 20160227_113451.jpg
    20160227_113451.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 589
  • 20160227_113501.jpg
    20160227_113501.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 475
  • 20160227_132505.jpg
    20160227_132505.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 578
  • 20160117_154401.jpg
    20160117_154401.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,176
Thanks for the photos!

I'm away for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I'll have a poke around and maybe get back to you with some questions.

Thanks!

Hi
Many thanks for posting this - very useful and a real help!!

I have the same issue and am just about to try this repair. The thing I'm wondering about is how to make sure the flap is set to cold - on my car it's definitely cool but not certain it's at the minimum. I can't see any easy way to move it without the little plastic bit that's snapped off. Maybe I can move it with a couple of pins.

My other query was whether it is best to glue the metal to the actuator / broken bit, or whether it's possible to glue it to the flap (still with a metal strip/slot) so that it's held to the flap with both glue and the metal part? Maybe the broken bit is too small to melt / Dremel the metal bit to?

Thanks again

Lapatroche
(Blue 100HP)

Hey fiat fix, CCTG, crisnakas! Many thanks for your input on this! I also was worried about the bit snapping off after some time after glueing it back, so went with the 'metal bit' idea and it worked! Bit stressful but well worth it!

I have the same issue and am just about to try this repair. The thing I'm wondering about is how to make sure the flap is set to cold - on my car it's definitely cool but not certain it's at the minimum. I can't see any easy way to move it without the little plastic bit that's snapped off. Maybe I can move it with a couple of pins.
Cold is when the flap is 'turned' to the right. Mine was set to cold by default, it felt like there was some balance on it (likely to allow the air to get in).

My other query was whether it is best to glue the metal to the actuator / broken bit, or whether it's possible to glue it to the flap (still with a metal strip/slot) so that it's held to the flap with both glue and the metal part? Maybe the broken bit is too small to melt / Dremel the metal bit to?
Having done this myself I'd advise against trying to glue anything to the flap itself. The flap is rather thin and somewhat fragile and it's probably better to leave it as is. The broken bit sitting in the actuator is big enough to melt through, stick some metal in and get that through the flap.

I've actually recorded a video of how I did the whole thing but it needs some editing. Would anyone be interested in this?

Hi BrokenPanda
Thanks for the replies. Video sounds good !!
I managed to do mine and I took a few pics so will post these up.
Thanks again
Lapatroche

The Video would be a great idea as this seems to be the only serious issue with 100hp's and a viable fix could save one from the breakers.

Hi folks, newbie here (guess why!)

Did anyone manage to put the video together in the end?

Hi folks, newbie here (guess why!)

Did anyone manage to put the video together in the end?
Hi, mine is also broken as shown in the photos. I've found that if you turn the heat to 30 and turn the fan up to max, and set the air to the windscreen and your feet, then hit the air recycle button and the flap pops open. Hot air until you turn the fans down too far or turn the engine off. It's ok for now will fix mine tomorrow. Hope it works for you as well

Hi, mine is also broken as shown in the photos. I've found that if you turn the heat to 30 and turn the fan up to max, and set the air to the windscreen and your feet, then hit the air recycle button and the flap pops open. Hot air until you turn the fans down too far or turn the engine off. It's ok for now will fix mine tomorrow. Hope it works for you as well
Hi, I should have said set the air to the face and feet vents then press the air recycle button

I had this issue today. Took to garage and was told I had no water in the expansion tank.

There is a fiddly fix for this problem. I fixed mine a few months back and took pictures. I never got around to posting them.

Remove the flap adjustment motor from the car, this is on the right hand side near the clutch pedal. It will have a white gear and a motor assembly.

Take the white gear and place a small piece of metal in it as shown. I heated the metal and melted it in place through the existing snapped plastic, then I used two part epoxy to secure it in place.

Then with a very hot flat, small butter knife I melted a corresponding slot into heater flap, make sure this all lines up before making a hole and make sure the motor is let to cold along with the flap. you only have one shot.

Wait for it to cool then put everything in place. Iv'e had working heating for a few months now, no issues it works normally.

Any questions do not hesitate to ask

How did you make sure the slot and stuck in metal blade were correctly aligned? Would it be possible with it all assembled to push the heated metal into the parts so it crosses the crack and links the two parts together?

Ive not done the job just asking. It just looks like a correct alignment between the broken parts will be hard to achieve.

Hi all, my first post on here, and it seems I have joined the club regarding this problem :(

I bought the car last year, to export to France where we live, I had a pre purchase inspection done, was mainly buying it as a cheap runabout with aircon and bought in the UK because the Eleganza (Emotion in France) model over here would have cost about double. We hve registered the car so it's on French plates, and it drives great, full Fiat UK service history...
The aircon, which we really need, works just fine, but we only discovered we had no heat as we got into late autumn.

Our temperature has been freezing on and off for a few weeks, so I just had my local mechanic, Antoine have a look at it. He is great guy and has kept our other cars, a Pajero, a Volvo 850 T5 and our fun car, a Porsche 944, on the road for the past 8 years or so.
He showed me the broken lug on the little actuator, ( :bang: ) and he also said that it looks like someone has stuck a screwdriver or something through the heater box casing ( in anger or frustration ?? ) and it sounds like it may now have a broken flap, but I'm not sure about that without dismantling the whole thing :(

Does anybody have any part numbers for any of this ? I am either going to have to find a way of bodging it, though if the flap is broken that may not work, or replacing with a scrap part if I can source one...

Back