Technical Oil leak on Gear Selector Shaft

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak on Gear Selector Shaft

ovs

Has any one had a minor oil leak from the gear selector shaft on 1.4 sport 6 speed gear box is the shaft seal available and relatory easy to remove and replace thanks

I have done this job on five and six speed Panda gearboxes (same parts). The leak will get pretty bad pretty quickly so it's well worth doing it.

Unclip the cable management tray that's clipped under the battery tray. Also remove the ECU earth wire and unplug brake fluid level sensor. disconnect any cable clips at back of battery case/tray.
Remove battery and battery box/tray will need to unplug the engine ECU and ABS multi connectors. Be careful and all will be fine.
Disconnect reverse light switch at front of the gearbox top cover.
Pop the shifter cable ends off their ball joints. I use a moderate sized pry-bar.
Remove slave cylinder. No need to disconnect the hydraulics.
Clean the top cover to remove the worst gunk. Unbolt the top cover and lift out.

Look inside and you will see two springs and a selector block in the middle.
Photograph the internals so you will know how it all fits.
Use two small zip ties (180 degs apart) to compress the springs.
Use a small sharp screwdriver to ease back the smaller nylon bush and CAREFULLY pry out the C clip. It's well worth putting the cover inside a clear plastic bag to catch the clip if/when it jumps.
Knock out the roll pin with a 3.8mm pin punch. My 4mm got stuck so I ground it down slightly.
Note which bush and spring is which and slide the shaft out of the cover. You will see why I used the zip ties. put the internal parts aside.
Clean the cover as it will be gritty and clean around the gearbox top.
I drilled the seal and screwed in a screw to lever it out. Fit the new seal.
Reassemble the shaft using your pictures for reference. It's fiddly to align the roll pin hole so use a good light. BE CAREFUL to get the shifter crank the right way up and don't forget the second lever. (DAMHIK)
Refit the C clip.
Fit a NEW 4mm roll pin and cut off the zip ties. Make sure the winged bush sits against the lugs.
I made a dust gaiter using some thin nylon fabric wrapped around behind the crank. A wide ribbon would also work. Use a zip ties to hold it to the cover and the shaft.
Check the two levers are working correctly.
Set the gearbox selectors in line, set the cover to match and refit it to the gearbox with 2 bolts. Check the gears shift.
Remove the cover and apply a silicone gasket to the joint face or better use Loctite 518. Fit all bolts and dont forget the earth tag. The cables will just pop on to the ball-ends.
Reassemble the job.

Forum ePER pages
Selector shaft etc Top cover including seal
Parts -
Roll pin is 4mm diameter.
Seal is Fiat part number 40004800

Some just keep topping up the gearbox oil. It's not too bad if it needs only 1-2 dl top up each year.

I have done this job on five and six speed Panda gearboxes (same parts). The leak will get pretty bad pretty quickly so it's well worth doing it.

Unclip the cable management tray that's clipped under the battery tray. Also remove the ECU earth wire and unplug brake fluid level sensor. disconnect any cable clips at back of battery case/tray.
Remove battery and battery box/tray will need to unplug the engine ECU and ABS multi connectors. Be careful and all will be fine.
Pop the shifter cable ends off their ball joints. I use a moderate sized pry-bar.
Clean the top cover to remove the worst gunk. Unbolt the top cover and lift out.

Use a small sharp screwdriver to ease back the smaller nylon bush and CAREFULLY pry out the C clip. It's well worth putting the cover inside a clear plastic bag to catch the clip if/when it jumps.
Knock out the roll pin with a 3.8mm pin punch. My 4mm got stuck so I ground it down slightly.
Note which bush and spring is which and slide the shaft out of the cover. You will see why I used the zip ties. put the internal parts aside.
Reassemble the shaft using your pictures for reference. It's fiddly to align the roll pin hole so use a good light. BE CAREFUL to get the shifter crank the right way up and don't forget the second lever. (DAMHIK)
Refit the C clip.
Fit a NEW 4mm roll pin and cut off the zip ties. Make sure the winged bush sits against the lugs.
I made a dust gaiter using some thin nylon fabric wrapped around behind the crank. A wide ribbon would also work. Use a zip ties to hold it to the cover and the shaft.
Set the gearbox selectors in line, set the cover to match and refit it to the gearbox with 2 bolts. Check the gears shift.
Remove the cover and apply a silicone gasket to the joint face or better use Loctite 518. Fit all bolts and dont forget the earth tag. The cables will just pop on to the ball-ends.
Reassemble the job.

Forum ePER pages
Parts -
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the reply i will order the bits and sort this its not to bad from what you have undicated its very much appreciated love these cars have a 1.4 sport and a 1.2 lounge convertable so nice to drive and enjoy working on them when required lol.
Thanks
Alex

Refit the C clip.
Reassemble the job.

Forum ePER pages
Parts -
Hi Dave have just got the punch and seal it's been on back order thank you.
Whilst getting the sport 1.4 minted eg a full respray and whilst that was being done the shop noted the radiator was leaking so they fitted anew rad and recharged the AC system which did not work before regassed to nearly 7.0 bar the compressor will not pull in the hp switch as changed also have checked the fuses in the passenger glove box and also the engine bay also the relays no 12vdc to the compressor any tips to check any thing else the ac switch lights up that's about the only thing I haven't checked or have I missed some thing 😀
Thanks Alex

recharged the AC system which did not work before regassed to nearly 7.0 bar the compressor will not pull in the hp switch as changed also have checked the fuses in the passenger glove box and also the engine bay also the relays no 12vdc to the compressor any tips to check any thing else the ac switch lights up that's about the only thing I haven't checked or have I missed some thing 😀
Thanks Alex
Note the ac is filled by weight not pressure, how long didn't the ac work prior? Climate control or manual control?

Back