Technical hybrid oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical hybrid oil leak

Quick questions re. the clutch on these 1.0 hybrid with 6 speed manual. From the posts above from Bouddica, , reporting failure after this plug becoming loose.

i am assuming that the transmission on these cars does not have a wet clutch using engine oil?

I assume then a wet clutch using clutch (brake) fluid?

Does the leak go one way, from engine to bell housing, or does the leak go both ways?

Oil and engine pressure vs pressure inside the bell housing might be a determining factor here?

Where is the oil leak to the outside exactly? Is it engine side or transmission side?

The loose plug, is it positioned above or below the normal fluid level of the bell housing, and you would also have to consider a higher fluid level than normal would be present, if the engine oil is seeping into the bell housing.

When the engine is not running, (thus no oil pressure), can the mixed fluid seep back into the engine?

Corrosive clutch fluid mixing with engine oil, being pumped through the engine does not bode well. This could spell troubles down the line, even with those cars who have had the problem fixed,

Engine oil leaking into bell housing would probably be more benign?

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6352.jpeg
    IMG_6352.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Well i politely reject your theory. Any proven mechanical plaftform can be corrupted (periodically) by a faulty component, like a plug, inside the engine block, who over time or use, becomes loose and cause a leak. This would (should) trigger a recall for a specific series of cars affected. Getting a car giant to issue a recall, or assume repair costs, is not done by owners thinking like you do. Car makers will slow walk and deny a (especially non-safety) problem as long as possible.

I believe all fossil 500’s for Europe, have been assembled in Poland for the past many years?

Recalls, as you say could take a while🤔

The replacement for the FIRE motors
Was developed by FIAT, SouthAmerica
And made it in Italian and Polish built Fiat's from @2017

My 2004 Panda was built in Poland, as we're the 500.. 20+ years now 🙂

Hi,
I got a brand new fiat 500 hybrid in April 2023. I have had the following problems:
1) CLUTCH creaking - the rubber seal needed replaced
2) STEERING making a whistling noise - it needed a new clockspring
3) Now an OIL LEAK which luckily was discovered by an independent mechanic that videod it so I could go back to the delearship.

When I went to the delearship they said they had 3 of the same cars in with the same oil leak. I emailed Fiat Customer Service informing them of this but you simply get a standard reply back as if they are doing you a favour fixing your car under warranty.
It is very disappointing and I have lost confidence in the car, I do not feel comfortable driving it any more.
My car is currently in the garage as they work on trying to fix the oil leak.

Lesley

Recalls, as you say could take a while🤔

The replacement for the FIRE motors
Was developed by FIAT, SouthAmerica
And made it in Italian and Polish built Fiat's from @2017

My 2004 Panda was built in Poland, as we're the 500.. 20+ years now 🙂
Thx, super info!

So theoretically, if we assume that there is an issue with this plug, if would be really helpful if someone with access to a recent eper with the 2023 model, could find the part and part number, and post the exploded view. Or just the exploded view of the block and bell housing of the 500, 1.0 hybrid 3. Cyl. Firefly..

The dark side of these cost saving “global engines” is stuff like these plugs between main components. The universal casting or universal machined block will have lots of plugs fitted, depending on the configuration you get.

Those of you who had this repair done already, you really really should find out, where exactly,the leak to the outside was.

If it was engine side, you have to ask yourself, “what caused the leak to happen on the engine side, and will this cause, whatever it was, mean that there might be more leaks to come?

Last edited:
Hi,
I got a brand new fiat 500 hybrid in April 2023. I have had the following problems:
1) CLUTCH creaking - the rubber seal needed replaced
2) STEERING making a whistling noise - it needed a new clockspring
3) Now an OIL LEAK which luckily was discovered by an independent mechanic that videod it so I could go back to the delearship.

When I went to the delearship they said they had 3 of the same cars in with the same oil leak. I emailed Fiat Customer Service informing them of this but you simply get a standard reply back as if they are doing you a favour fixing your car under warranty.
It is very disappointing and I have lost confidence in the car, I do not feel comfortable driving it any more.
My car is currently in the garage as they work on trying to fix the oil leak.

Lesley
That is a lot of serious issues! No wonder you are not a happy camper!

Would you be able to upload the video of the oil leak, and post a link?

Please keep us posted on what exactly they did to repair the oil leak.

Back